Thats it-Im going to AZ!! But I need advice...

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
That's it-I'm going to AZ!! But I need advice...

I have relatives in Chino Valley, AZ that have been telling me for a few years now that I should come out there. I have a place to stay and may be able to wrangle some really cheap transportation..I HAVE TO GO!

I've metal detected for nuggets once before in Colorado but it was on land that had definite boundaries, etc. Now never having been to Arizona for prospecting and not knowing the area, etc., I'll need some guidance, maybe even some assistance. Timeframe isn't exactly set, but I'm thinking while it's NOT HOT! LOL...

Upvote 0

frank

Sep 4, 2004
N.W. Arizona
Detector(s) used
ML 3500,Whites GMT,Gold Bug I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: That's it-I'm going to AZ!! But I need advice...

I can put you in touch with a seasoned prospector that lives in Chino Vally and is always willing to help a newcommer.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nuggetshooter.com is a AZ based forum with all the AZ folks posting/sharing/helping newbies to AZ-John

OP
OP
pyledriver

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Thanks guys! Frank, I'll send a PM ...

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Having detected in Arizona in a few places, here's the advice I'd give you (you've had some great tips and advice so far from others), avoid the areas that are hammered to death--the ones near Stanton Arizona for instance, and lots of areas around Gold Basin have been beat to death as well. If you can get connected with someone that can take you to a place more off the beaten track you'll probably have a better chance as a Newbie. Yes, gold is still being found in the areas I've mentioned, but they've really been beat hard in the last few years.

Moreover, most nugget shooters keep their special places special--but you may find one or two that will put you in a good, out of the way spot. And, don't be afraid to shoot wherever you get the urge--newbies have a Knack for finding nuggets in or near parking lots, on the trails and roads into patches, etc. That's because they don't suffer from prejudice--any and all ground looks good to them. I know of a dandy nugget found near a parking lot by an old hydraulic site where nugget shooters unloaded their detectors and gear for years, but they never turned their machines on until they got down the hill about a block away!

Be open-minded--if you're in a gold producing area, check it out--don't make assumptions. This may sound like I'm making assumptions about the pounded areas I've mentioned earlier--yes, the gold is still there, but some of it is in the trashiest ground you can imagine--the easy areas are the ones that have been hammered, and concentrated trash is mighty hard and mighty frustrating to hunt through.

So, if you're out on a new-found adventure in Arizona--ask lots of questions and hopefully someone nice will take you to an area that still has some virgin possibilities, and less trash. Oh, don't be afraid to try your very own gulch either--some spectacular finds in gold country have occurred this way.

Good luck, and all the best,

Lanny in AB

OP
OP
pyledriver

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Thanks Lanny! Hopefully I can get my hands on a gold detector before I go..LOL! My AT Pro is on the way but I'd like to get a dedicated machine if I can manage it by then. Either way I hope to have fun and learn some things. Maybe even have a streak of newbie luck too!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

No problem--stay positive and may the Newbie Force be with you!

All the best,

Lanny

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey pyledriver,
Good luck in AZ. I've lived there twice, around Phoenix, and I do not plan on a third time. You are from Texas so likely you are familiar with hot sandy places, AZ is no different cept maybe hotter. If it does not scratch, bite or stick you it is not native to AZ. It has poisonous snakes & lizards, big spiders and bats in caves. Be certain that someone knows where you are all the time! Be able to get your vehicle unstuck from sand and mud. Cell phones might not work in some of the places your will go to so you might want to carry a SPOT Messenger unit, look at findmespot.com, as they work everywhere and have the ability to save a persons life. Winter nights will be very cold! Rain out there can be extremely heavy so be prepaired. Some areas of the state near the Mexican border can be dangerous due to people trafficking, stay away from the border zones. Okay, so now you've heard the bad news. The good news is the sunrises and sunsets are beautiful, in spring the plants in bloom are beautiful and gold its beautiful as well as.

Good luck, stay safe, have fun. Regards 63bkpkr

picture of nuggets I found this summer using a GMT to confirm the site. if I've chosen the correct picture the poker chip has a hunk of gold glued to it as a test target and it is very handy to have a test target out there with you.

Attachments

• 183_8305.JPG
    183_8305.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 433
  • 183_8305.JPG
    183_8305.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 433
OP
OP
pyledriver

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Thanks! I've been reading a little and I think we'll just stay away from the border..LOL!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Wow--you got some great advice there from 63bkpkr--he knows his desert stuff. It's the stuff that people that haven't spent time in the desert just don't think about. For instance, I spent a couple of nights in a tent in the Arizona desert near Stanton in February--I could not believe how cold it got at night--and I KNOW cold! I learned in a hurry. The rest of his advice is sound and solid too.

All the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread