the 1904 schoolhouse well goes dry.....ring but no coins

W

whites6000inPa

I didn't have that long to hunt the old school grounds tonight....about 90 minutes. I lucked onto this sterling ring at about 6 inches...just at the bottom of the topsoil layer. Some mangy "so and so" took all of the easy silver coins. Guess I'll have to work harder now. I passed on some penny signals tonight. I didn't have much time and was really hoping to pull some silver....and "technically" I did.

Wyatt

Attachments

• MANSRING.JPG
    MANSRING.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 307
Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

That place has been awfully generous though. I think the walking Liberty, silver washington quarter and 2 mercs yesterday.......was the grand Finale.....like a fireworks display. I feel fortunate to have found the ring tonight. I have some more sites lined up.....but that school will always be special. It was a blast from the past...just like the old days....33 pieces of silver in less than 2 weeks! Those places are tougher to come by today than they used to be.

Wyatt

rasrandy

Mar 3, 2005
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
So that would make YOU the mangy so and so who took the easy pickins!

Nice fat ring with the rare see through stone LOL
Silver is silver HH

OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

I resemble that remark.... ;D

Wyatt

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Find Wyatt.

CONGRATS !

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Real nice ring with a nice old stone in it. I would polish that bad boy out.

HH Jer

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Great find, WTG!!!
I would do as you said, go back and hit it hard and slow.
Good luck & Happy hunting~

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find!

HH

Lonewolfe

OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

I did polish it......but there's no stone in it......it's gone. Here's a picture of both rings from the old schoolyard after polishng them.

Wyatt

Attachments

• 2RINGS.JPG
    2RINGS.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 286

renegade_7

Jun 10, 2004
Missouri
Stone or not, that really is a nice ring. Both rings are nice. As for "Well gone dry", wouldn't bet on it. I have about four places around here that I have labeled "Hunted Out", but they still surprise me in silver. I always wonder, "How'd I miss that one?" You know the deal, stay after it, you'll most likely be surprised. Nice finds.

OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

I'll relegate the old schoolhouse to "old standby" status now. I just got permission to do another old site, you know... the grass is always greener.....and there's a couple acres of it at this site....and a ca 1900 home sitting on it too. Might be some silver lying there to be picked up.

I'll still hit the old school from time to time...but I think the damage has been done for now. There's more silver there....but they'll be fewer and farther between I'm afraid. Guys around here said that place was "hunted out" before I got there. Somebody left a considerable amount of silver in this 'hunted out' spot.

Maybe it was worked over 15-20 years ago with lesser detectors?

Wyatt

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I've really enjoyed reading and seeing the posts on the old schoolhouse! Now we've got the new place to look forward to. ;D

HH,

Moon

OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

I had previous;y declared the old school to be hunted out......and sincve that time I've pulled another dozen coins and the man's ring....so I'm sure that I've overstated the situation there. I'll still go there, and there could still be a schoolhouse tale or 2 left.

Thanks Moon....hope it doesn't rain this weekend...or worse.

Wyatt

WV_Detecting

Oct 24, 2005
WV
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
This may go without saying but did you consider "screening" the soil from the hole to see if the stone was there, it wouldn't be the first time I've heard of someone finding the stone from a ring in this manner. Good finds by the way.

OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

I searched through the soil from the hole very thoroughly....and it wasn't to be found. There was a small fragment of it still in the set, so if I had found it, it would have been broken anyway. I think this ring's probably pretty old. It is marked sterling...and has a letter U with an arroe through it. I'm going to see if I can find out what that hallmark means.

Wyatt

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Hunted out" or not, I'd still go back and dig all those iffy deep signals I know you must have got. Some of those could be real finds. Monty

OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

I didn't even dig the low signals at all....just cherry picked the VDIs over 60....so it's possible that there are still some nice discoveries to be made there....like gold.

Wyatt

L

lancemxt2006

nice dig. even if you didnt get any coins today i seen the onthe silvers you plucked out of that place.

great spot

HH lance

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread