The $40 SandScoop.....Yeah or Nay?

ianth

Greenie
Feb 21, 2011
I live in Japan and enjoy hitting the beaches for a workout. Three hundred or more coins in a hunt is quite common, not to mention an assortment of trash and of course bling. In all, I can dig 400 to five hundred targets in a 4 hour hunt. Obviously, my arms and back began complaining.
I would love a well built stainless scoop that I see many of you using but to get one sent here would be expensive....almost double the price. So I did some thinking and a couple years ago built a scoop based on the workings of a bucket on a mechanical shovel. The effortless way the bucket goes into the ground then extracts the fill was an idea I could use at the beach. A few days ago, my prototype scoop, after two tough years of use, needed other day replacing so after about 40$ and a couple hours, I was up and running. I wanted to share the making of this scoop with its improvements for those interested in a good substitute to the high end models.

In the first picture of the prototype, you can see how the honeycomb on the bottom of the scoop finally buckled under digging stress. This happened over a year ago and I got by by riveting a strip of aluminum flat bar from the digging edge to where the handle attached. This transferred the load nicely and worked well until the aluminum bare failed the other day due to use.
You can see in the improved scoop that the aluminum bar has been replaced by the strip of solid PVC running up the spine of the elbow. A 15mm (5/8") drill was used to create the honeycomb.

So the basic components of the scoop are a 6" 45 degree PVC elbow, a pice of metal for a digging edge, some kind of sieve material for the back, and some scrap 6" PVC used to cut a collar and retaining ring to hold the sieve.
I was able to find a small steel plate pre drilled exactly to the rivet size I used. Stainless would be best but I just didn't have any laying around.
For the sieve, I bought a plastic paint roller screen cut a piece to fit the inside of the elbow. Then I cut the collar and retaining ring from some scrap flange I had using a table saw set at about 1/8 inch and slowly rotating the flange against the fence. PVC cement was used to secure the back end. The retaining ring was clamped and left overnight for the cement to harden.
The edge plate was formed by hammering over a 4" pipe. Then the corners were rounded and using a grinder the edge was sharpened.

The plate was fastened using the largest stainless pop rivets I could find here (~1/8").
Then the top part of the elbow was cut back using a jigsaw.

Finally, I attached the handle and the step ( previously used on the old scoop). The step also transfers the force of the handle downwards to the digging edge.

The finished scoop!!

Notes:
1. All hardware and metal should be stainless for a professional look.
2. I use a 1 1/2" step which is slightly too narrow. Sometimes my foot slips off while digging.
3. The inside collar adds strength to the handle attachment so don't be stingy with the cement.
4. This scoop digs like a dream. Due to its design, it goes straight down into the sand and cups the fill allowing a clean hole with little handle work. I get a depth of ~8" per scoop.
5. Works great in dry/wet sand and shallow surf but probably best to stick with the surf scoops if that is where you hunt.

It is two years ago since we got hit hard by the great earthquake. I was actually hunting a beach when it hit. If any of you saw that picture of the huge whirlpool off the beach, that is where I was. You can see pictures of my house above but what you can't see is the cracked foundation or the hundreds of popped screws and broken nails throughout the house. We were lucky but the damage to north eastern Japan was incredibly huge. The reconstruction effort is immense and ongoing and the ability of this country to deal with adversity is inspiring.
About half way through writing my little scoop story we heard that distinct rumble followed by the shaking as a rather small M4.3 gave us a start. It came and went fairly quickly but it was centered offshore only about 10 km away. For a second it "had the feel" and as I jumped up heading towards the door the blanket of the foot warmer table (kotatsu) lassoed my feet and I crashed to the floor. The goose egg and small cut i now sport above my eye add punctuation to the jumpiness and perceived fear of another major event happening in the near future. You can bet you know which way the car faces when parked at the beach!

Speaking of which I will be off to tomorrow to break in the new & improved scoop.

Happy Hunting everyone!

Ian :notworthy:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 222
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 198
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 203
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 212
Upvote 0

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For $40.00 looks like you have a winner. We will expect to see photos of your finds!!

habs

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the salt water, you gotta use stainless and aluminum.

Let us know how it works!

The Master Chief

Jan 10, 2005
CA
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Equinox 800/Mine Lab Gold Monster 1000/ Mine Lab Pro Find 35/Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job on the scoop Ian I also used to be in Japan back in 2007 Okinawa retired now

OP
OP
I

ianth

Greenie
Feb 21, 2011
For $40.00 looks like you have a winner. We will expect to see photos of your finds!!

habs

Here is a picture of one night's finds with the old scoop.......over 300$ of clad and a few 'keepers' mixed in!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 138
OP
OP
I

ianth

Greenie
Feb 21, 2011
In the salt water, you gotta use stainless and aluminum.

Let us know how it works!

Right On! I made comment of this in the 'notes' part of my post.

as soon as the right piece of stainless scrap comes along, you know where it's going!

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I Like It!!!!! Ugly as Heck But Can Do the Job!!! Just Like Me Chug I Know Reds Going to Kick My but for this But I Like that Also!!! Cctually I Might Copy it And Try It out If thats Ok??

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd love to see a video of it in action. Obviously it works, but it seems too vertical to bring up anything without the goodies falling out.

OP
OP
I

ianth

Greenie
Feb 21, 2011
Thanks, Chief.

when I started this hobby in the mid 90's, not too many people swung a coil here. This still applies to me as I have yet to meet another md'er in Japan. It does appear that a few boys now hunt down in Oki and do quite well.

I'm a Canadian but my admiration and appreciation for all of my southern neighbour's who served cannot be understated. The American presence in Okinawa today is vitally important. You have my gratitude.

i like your medallion picture. Here is one of my keepers found last year:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    491.1 KB · Views: 133
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 135
OP
OP
I

ianth

Greenie
Feb 21, 2011
I Like It!!!!! Ugly as Heck But Can Do the Job!!! Just Like Me Chug I Know Reds Going to Kick My but for this But I Like that Also!!! Cctually I Might Copy it And Try It out If thats Ok??

Chug,
No need to ask if its ok. I put this on the net as thought fodder :) Lots of room for improvement.

As for 'ugly'.....hey! I had no choice.

OP
OP
I

ianth

Greenie
Feb 21, 2011
I'd love to see a video of it in action. Obviously it works, but it seems too vertical to bring up anything without the goodies falling out.

If you have too many hobbies you sound like your doing something right, TooMany!

I might not get to a beach for a while as my ailing japanese father in law took a turn for the worst a few days ago and I find it difficult right now to even take the dog for a quick walk as my wife and I are providing full care right now. I wished I included a video.

think of digging a hole into the sand with your hand and scooping the sand out with your fingers. Using this scoop, you start pushing with your foot with the handle upright (unlike the big surf scoops which require pushing the handle forward, pushing in the scoop, and then pulling the handle all the way back again). Then, as the scoop bites into the sand, the handle is pulled back towards you slightly which in turn pushes the lip underneath the fill locking it. Out it comes! Works great in wet sand and takes little effort. Believe me, when I get into the targets, I don't have time to chase finds that fall out of the scoop or be using such.

The vertical aspects of using this scoop is the best part! I usually dump the fill on the beach, locate the target, and use the lip to lift the target to my other hand for pouch deposit.

The Master Chief

Jan 10, 2005
CA
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Equinox 800/Mine Lab Gold Monster 1000/ Mine Lab Pro Find 35/Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Chief.

when I started this hobby in the mid 90's, not too many people swung a coil here. This still applies to me as I have yet to meet another md'er in Japan. It does appear that a few boys now hunt down in Oki and do quite well.

I'm a Canadian but my admiration and appreciation for all of my southern neighbour's who served cannot be understated. The American presence in Okinawa today is vitally important. You have my gratitude.

i like your medallion picture. Here is one of my keepers found last year:

Thanks. That medallion is sweet. Great job. I found mine in Okinawa at tiger beach back in 2005.

OP
OP
I

ianth

Greenie
Feb 21, 2011
Understated/overstated

In my reply to Chief I erroneously stated my gratitude to American service men/women could not be understated. Of course I meant "could not be overstated". Sorry for the gaffe. :notworthy:

Ian

The Master Chief

Jan 10, 2005
CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my reply to Chief I erroneously stated my gratitude to American service men/women could not be understated. Of course I meant "could not be overstated". Sorry for the gaffe. :notworthy:

Ian

Ian I knew what you meant being Canadian I also appreciate your Canadian presence in many conflicts. Being our northern neighbors your support is overwhelming thank you for all your sacrifices also. God bless. I also know you know John Edmonton.

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My first scoop was made from a galvanized grain scoop and a 8 foot length of EMT tubing. I bent the EMT into a U shape and bent one end in a L shape and connected it to the handle. I replaced the rivets with 1/4" lock nuts and bolts. And ran the other end down the back side of the scoop and used 3/8" lock nuts and bolts with fender washers. The grain scoop had 3/8" holes drilled into the back and across the bottom and a sharp edge so it dug into the ground whether sand or gravel. It lasted me 8 years before I bought my Big Brute S/S scoop and gave the old scoop to a newbie. Total cost for that scoop was about $8.00 in early 1980 money.

OP
OP
I

ianth

Greenie
Feb 21, 2011
I wish we still had 1980 dollars!
I always wondered how well the closed handle scoops work since they continuously seem to be marketed.

The 'Brute' sounds like a scoop used when you're up to your nostrils in the surf :) Looks like the sand is pulling off the beaches on the US east coast so hopefully you will snag a few!

Ian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread