The Abbey Project - Day 1 + 2 - ROMAN/SAXON/VIKING/MEDIEVAL etc...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our 2 year Licence comes to an end in Dec 18, so this collaboration with the Archies to find out what is in the fields around an old Medieval Abbey will sadly finish. Therefore we want to make a good last effort.
We already discovered an unknown Roman Pottery Kiln Site (rare, our only 1), & an early Saxon Settlement from about 600AD, as well as the medieval activity that you would expect. We think we have disproved the medieval village theory as well.
As we are working with the Archies we plot the big Roman nails (or are they 17th/18th C!!!) as well as the broken grey-ware kiln bars. (not all the tons of small roman nails we dig!)
I was working Fri & Cru'dad did a short 4 run grid on the Roman Site & got 3 scrappies & a Viking Penny!!! He then wondered the Saxon Site & got a Saxon Sceat! Crazy short session.:hello2:

Today was about continuing the gridding on the Roman Site & leaving the Saxon Site until later (different field being drilled later).

We did 6 Hours today (plus Cru'dads 3 & a bit Fri);

17 Roman Bronze Coins - 1 odd follis with the fallen horse the wrong way - Cru'dad will research! UPDATE FROM THE BRITISH MUSEUM;
''This is an odd one! There aren’t any listed that I can find immediately with the soldier spearing to the right. How big is the coin? I think it likely that this is a copy too rather than an official coin – they can often be quite large and well struck. There are examples in the BM, although typically they are the usual way around. It would be great to see it in the flesh next time we hand coins over!''

Lead Spindal Whorl
Roman Ring (bezel)
Roman Bracelet bit
2 Medieval Lead Tokens - These unusual tiny types must be associated with the Abbey (we find them no-where else)
Folded Hammered Penny of Ed III?
Hammered Farthing of Edward I
Viking Penny circa 890 AD, historic coin that memorizes the death of St Edmund who they tortured to death some years previously.
Saxon Sceat AD710-60 (the museum thinks it might be an imitation of a BIa type)

Now that's how you give a field a send off.:coffee2: (Still more to do)

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    302.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    331.2 KB · Views: 92
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    235.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    225.6 KB · Views: 83
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 78
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Upvote 36

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those nails look a lot like the wagon strake nails I find on 1750s French & Indian War sites. Here are some I found on a recent hunt.
This Old Wheel -17th Century Wooden Wheel Technology - Strakes XVII C.

View attachment 1630734
They look really similar, I wonder if these have been mis-IDed in the past or if they were just similar. I need to do some research, as 1 of the reasons I thought they were Roman was because they come from some very remote Roman Sites, some of which had very little activity after 400AD. However, maybe some of the old Roman trackways where still in use! What strengthens your possible ID is that they all seem to be in a line, which could be a great confirmation of an old road/track in the direction of the nails! THANKS

Last edited:

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice relics. Congrats on another bunch of nice saves.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They look really similar, I wonder if these have been mis-IDed in the past or if they were just similar. I need to do some research, as 1 of the reasons I thought they were Roman was because they come from some very remote Roman Sites, some of which had very little activity after 400AD. However, maybe some of the old Roman trackways where still in use! What strengthens your possible ID is that they all seem to be in a line, which could be a great confirmation of an old road/track in the direction of the nails! THANKS
Even the lowly nail has a story to tell....:icon_thumleft:

landmagnet

Aug 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great day! More to come before yor'e done!!

Brendan75

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2017
Pretoria
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/ Garrett AT pro/ Minelab X- terra 305/ Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, wow awesome finds again. Congrats:occasion14:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing stuff Cru thanks for always posting your finds One of my favorate posts to read. Good Diggins

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job Cru! Sad that your time there is ending, but I’m sure you gave the archies much valuable info, and made incredible finds at the same time.

I popped on to Tnet just now, and there have been some great finds posted today. I voted banner on two things already and I don’t want people thinking I’m too casual with the banner vote, but that Saxon Sceat is a brilliant find, and absolutely deserves a banner vote. I know I can’t vote for CruDad, but he sure deserves one!

Congrats, and good luck at some new locations

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I continue to just stare in wonder at your amazing recoveries! Thank you, sir, for sharing them with us!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A great day in the field I'd say, congratulations! :occasion14:

gheenoe78

Nov 21, 2014
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As always, thank you for sharing these. Amazing finds.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE FROM THE BRITISH MUSEUM;
''This is an odd one! There aren’t any listed that I can find immediately with the soldier spearing to the right. How big is the coin? I think it likely that this is a copy too rather than an official coin – they can often be quite large and well struck. There are examples in the BM, although typically they are the usual way around. It would be great to see it in the flesh next time we hand coins over!''

As we suspected, we may have an unknown imitation type, the large Roman Coin on the blue background.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread