The Absent Minded Arrowhead Hunter.....

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't been going much these past couple weeks. Wish I had more to post, but I don't so I'm starting a thread about arrowhead hunting stories. So if you find yourself bored and would like to share go for it. I haven't got very many that are truly exiting, but I have a few, and one that's so I exiting I can't share, it involves dark clouds and eerie howling winds..ok ok I already said too much. I could tell ya about when I was shot at from a ridgetop. They must have shot at me 10 or 12 times with a 22 I think. But thats about all there was to that story. Of course I kept hunting. I was allowed to be there. I have a good one though that I will share, happened 12 years or so ago. One that got my heart pounding faster than it ever had or probably ever will again. Me and the wife and son(4y.o.) and daughter(21/2 y.o.) went in a real nice big field along the scioto river near chillicothe. We always pulled out a lot of ft ancient birdpoints there, and some adena stuff. Well we had hunted for probably going on 2 hours and was pretty much starting to hunt it out. I remember I was going over areas twice and trying to figure out where I hadn't stepped yet, my wife was in the distance walking with my daughter, and I was walking with my son. This field was very flat, a road split this field from an even bigger one and well the whole area was field as far as the eye could see and right along the field we were looking in, ran the scioto river It had been raining and flooding in the area for weeks, the scioto was running very very hard and fast, and was very full of water. Well in time I look to my side and I don't see my son, I quickly looked just in my immediate area, and just assumed he headed over towards my wife. I didn't bother to look over there because I just figured he went that way, so I kept my eyes glued to the ground as I had been doing, some time passes I suppose 10 minutes and my wife comes in my view in the distance. I look over at her and she's still walking with our daughter, and just our daughter, It then hit me that I needed to look around for my son, so I do and he is nowhere in sight. There are no places he could be hiding behind its all field, and there sat the scioto in front of me running that hard, thats when I panicked, my wife panicked, we ran to the river, he was nowhere to be seen, there was nothing we could do, and I knew by looking at that water running that hard that if he did go in it then he was definately gone. I was about to drop to my knees in total anguish and dismay, but I somehow got myself and wife up to the field with our only option, going for help. We ran to the car, opened the door and there he was. Sleeping. We never thought to check the car.:icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, T2 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terrifying feeling, can't imagine one of my kids going missing. Thanks for the story and I would REALLY like to hear more about some of those other stories. :laughing7:

OP
OP
SOHIO

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Terrifying feeling, can't imagine one of my kids going missing. Thanks for the story and I would REALLY like to hear more about some of those other stories. :laughing7:

Look me up when I'm on my death bed, then you might get a few out of me. And hang in there because the way I smoke it won't be long.:laughing7:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my arrowhead huntin stories took place in SW Oklahoma about 30 yrs. ago. There was a guy who without fail would beat us to any site after it rained or it was plowed. We never saw him in person but always saw his tracks. He walked a regular pattern across an area; back and forth, about ten feet apart. It aggravated us cause he cleaned the site out and didn't have permission to be on some of those sites. One day we were at a place that he once again beat us to, and I was lookin at his footprints, and found a perfect Wa$hita point right in his heel print. We jumped up and down cause we felt like that was victory for us.

OP
OP
SOHIO

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
lol yeah i would felt the same way :thumbsup:

scepter1

May 17, 2011
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It was a nice early summer day and our two young energetic boys were driving my wife nuts. So I decided give my wife a break and take the boys rock hunting and trout fishing at a stream in the nearby foothills. The stream is very pretty, icy cold, in a rain forest type area, but smaller that I thought it would be; about 2 feet deep in the rocky pools.

I got the 5 year old started and the 8 old was already on his own. The 5 year old was quickly bored and was more interested in looking for bugs and tossing rocks, so the older son moved 30-40 feet up stream to concentrate on fishing, and I moved another 30-40 feet upstream from him to give him some room (and to avoid getting hooked). I was looking down for rocks, and at some point I heard what sounded like a splash. Being a fishermen myself, I jerked my head up to see if a fish had jumped. Seeing nothing, I asked my older son what that noise was, and he didn't know either. I resumed looking down again and it suddenly flashed in my mind that I had only seen my older son when I looked for the splash...

I jumped across the stream and ran downstream to where I last saw my 5 year old. There he was, face down in the water, not moving. I jumped in the thigh deep water and hauled him out and gave him a quick heimlick type maneuver and he spit out a little bit of water and was okay! I asked about what had happened when he was under the water (because he wasn't moving), and he said a little fish came and looked at him...

Sure didn't seem like a dangerous place, especially with two of us close by, but it only takes a second of two for a disaster to happened.

p.s. My wife wasn't too pleased...

Rich.

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
So glad both of the tales above resulted in young boys being okay! Drowning happens so fast there's usually not a second chance. A friend's grandson drowned at age three because while the extended family gathered happily on a dock to watch some boats farther out, each adult assumed another was watching the little boy. Without anyone noticing, he fell off the dock into the water and drowned. Another time, I had a close call keeping four kids safe when I misjudged how fast a storm was coming in over a huge lake where I'd led them out on a low land spit to explore. The sudden storm was whipping up big waves flooding the low land. Realizing our danger, I nearly panicked but managed to get the kids to form a human chain with me by all holding hands tightly as we raced back to higher ground. I realize this is an "arrowhead tales" thread, but with our young children, sometimes a small oversight can be tragic. btw, this weekend my grown son and I are going on our first arrowhead search! HH Andi

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread