The art of the dump?

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gentlemen,

Ive been doign small rolled dumps udner $100 at my bank but now with tomorrow getting my first box of halves I dread the dump as I have neither rollls nor a drop bag. How should I proceed?

Really? I do not have a clue as to what you should do. Most CRH's have this worked out before they start getting boxes.....

D1MES_101

Aug 7, 2012
USA
Primary Interest:
Other
EASY! When you go pickup the boxes ask the teller for rolls because there be halves that you dont want and she should give you them. OR you can unroll the halves like i can (watch is on youtube)

projJakarta

Jan 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
You can ask your p/u bank for the wrappers. You can also use the original wrappers. Just fold the other end. I do this all the time.

OP
OP
S

sheepdog_tx

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I havent figured out how unroll and reroll the ones from the machines. How does one go about this?

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
You should find a coin counter if one is available. If not then I guess you're going to have to have to dump either at one bank or multiple banks. I recommend the latter. Tellers will hate you forever I you bring in $500 in rolled halves.

I also suggest figuring out a dump strategy before ordering your next box. You don't want to have most of your hunting funds tied up in clad coin.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
I dump all mine... worst case scenario try out Coinstar.

OP
OP
S

sheepdog_tx

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about deposit bags and just waiting for it to be deposited? How do you get a deposit bag?

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Bags would be easier than rolling halves and dumping. From my experience, not all banks are willing to accept bags from customers. I've personally have never used bags but I would not want to. I don't like the notion of sending that much money away to be counted while I'm not present.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just unroll and re-wrap. it will be slow at first. Take your index finger of one hand and get your nail under the crimp, and spin it around, loosening the whole crimp. Then with your other hand use your thumb to push all the coins out, which should also completely straighten out the crimp allowing the coins to go back in easy. When dumping the coins back in, do 5 at a time or so and try not to bend the open part of the roll. just spin a finger around it to straighten it out if need be. The last few coins need to go in separately. I can do this faster than ripping open the rolls the normal way and throwing them in a bag without re-rolling them

OP
OP
S

sheepdog_tx

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just unroll and re-wrap. it will be slow at first. Take your index finger of one hand and get your nail under the crimp, and spin it around, loosening the whole crimp. Then with your other hand use your thumb to push all the coins out, which should also completely straighten out the crimp allowing the coins to go back in easy. When dumping the coins back in, do 5 at a time or so and try not to bend the open part of the roll. just spin a finger around it to straighten it out if need be. The last few coins need to go in separately. I can do this faster than ripping open the rolls the normal way and throwing them in a bag without re-rolling them

How do you roll the crimp back in so it looks right and holds everything in?

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best thing to do is ask the branch you plan to dump on which method is easiest for them :)

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best thing to do is ask the branch you plan to dump on which method is easiest for them :)

Yes, do this. When I first began CRH I would occasionally dump re-rolled CWR halves. After reading the tips on this forum, I scattered these dumps across a few banks - $200-$300 at each bank. After talking to the tellers, I found that they had to hold onto them until they had accumulated $1000 at which time they could ship them out. They actually preferred me to bring in at least $1000 which was easier on me and them.

Also, since the bank was already going to the expense, time, and trouble to receive and ship out my dumps, I personally felt that it was unfair for me to also ask them to provide me with free wrappers. They can be bought relatively inexpensively on ebay. As mentioned above, you can also learn to reuse the machine wrappers and you can even save wrappers from CWRs when they're in reusable condition.

Last edited:

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Seriously? You realize coinstar is 9.8% fee right? Out of $500 thats almost $50 in fees which means I might as well go buy silver at the LCS.

No, CSW was not serious. However, don't dismiss CoinStar entirely. There are a bunch of fee-free options with CoinStar. If you plan on spending any $ at Amazon, Lowes, Sears, JCPenny, Chili's, or a number of other places, just take the fee-free gift card option. I do it repeatedly and have never paid a fee. I like to take dimes and dump them directly from the vault bag into CoinStar and let their machine find the Ag for me.

Fee free options are discussed here: http://www.coinstar.com/freecoincounting

If you are in a Krogers or Albertsons market for grocery, you've got a great opportunity for fee-free coinstar dumps.

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
madwest said:
No, CSW was not serious. However, don't dismiss CoinStar entirely. There are a bunch of fee-free options with CoinStar. If you plan on spending any $ at Amazon, Lowes, Sears, JCPenny, Chili's, or a number of other places, just take the fee-free gift card option. I do it repeatedly and have never paid a fee. I like to take dimes and dump them directly from the vault bag into CoinStar and let their machine find the Ag for me.

Fee free options are discussed here: http://www.coinstar.com/freecoincounting

If you are in a Krogers or Albertsons market for grocery, you've got a great opportunity for fee-free coinstar dumps.

I'm new to this concept. OK ... I'm totally ignorant. So you mentioned that the machine will spit back the silver coins? Does it work infallibly?

I feel a new hobby urge.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet app

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread