The artifacts we are leaving behind...

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had kind of a random string of thoughts today, and thought this would be the right group to share them with.

It started when I was staring at a Sobe bottle, with a bunch of designs molded in to the plastic, and I thought "how cool would that be to find a glass bottle like that?" And then I realized we aren't going to be leaving behind to many glass bottles from this time, since almost everything is plastic nowadays. Which got me thinking, in 100+ years, what will people like use be hoping to find from our time?? And I'm struggling to come up with much good stuff... We don't have intricately hand crafted tools (like the arrowheads some of us find). We do have a TON of jewelry, but most of it is cheap/fake stuff. All of our pennies will have corroded in to oblivion LONG ago, and unless copper spikes at some point, our nickles will be the only coin with any metal value (like the gold and silver coins we all hope to find). The vast majority of our containers are plastic now, so tins, cans and bottles will be few and far between. To be honest, it made me a little sad that think about the junk we are leaving behind for future treasure hunters. But, then again, our junk my be their treasure.

So in 100 years, when someone is hunting a park from this time period, there are 3 things that I think they might look for... First, coins. Numismatic values for all and possible melt value for nickles. Second, jewelry. The real "trick" will be sorting through all the fake/clad/CZ type stuff to find the silver/gold/platinum/gems. And third, electronics. I'm just getting in to understanding where it all is, but I know there is a fair amount of precious and semi-precious metals in things like cell phones.

So, what are your thoughts? Are we leaving junk? Is there something you can think of that future treasure hunters will be jumping for joy when they find it??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread