the ATV trails produce again!! GUN INFO ADDED

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
Went back today and hit the spot that I found the 1811 large cent and flat button. Well I didn't get another large cent but I did manage to get 3 more flat buttons!! The one button has "Orange Gilt Rich Treble" and around the shank has "G or C Williams".
Hit some more spots and came up with a cap gun and a horseshoe also.

Also went to a coin shop in my town to see if they knew what I can do to bring out more detail on the 1811 Large Cent. He recommended letting it soak for 24 hours in acetone nail polish remover to get rid and then put on some stuff he sold me called Blue RIbbon Coin Conditioner and Preservative. He said after the nail polish remover bath then put this stuff on and let it dry overnight and then rub it lightly with either Qtips or kleenex tissue. Will let you know the results.

When I went to the store to get the polish remover, I passed a coinstar machine and saw change in the reject slot....SOOOOO I shoved my hand in there and took it. The good ones were a 1960 dime, a saca dollar and according to my daughter who has better eyes than me so I had her confirm it, was a 1912 wheatie! There also was a 50 cent euro coin also.

Anyway thanks for looking at the pics and have a good detecting session the next time you all go out.

Funkman

btw...also the last 2 pics are the old fork I found yesterday. Says Wm. Rogers Bros on it I think.

Attachments

• P1010011.JPG
    P1010011.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 935
  • P1010013.JPG
    P1010013.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 929
  • P1010016.JPG
    P1010016.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 925
  • P1010017.JPG
    P1010017.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 918
  • P1010019.JPG
    P1010019.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 908
  • P1010007.JPG
    P1010007.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 911
  • P1010009.JPG
    P1010009.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 878
Upvote 0

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: the ATV trails produce again!!

funkman. . . those are some nice finds! From the pic's you posted I think that "cap gun" deserves a bit more attention. . . I think it's a REAL gun. After you clean it, post another pic.

Thanks for showing your stuff,
watercolor

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm not a gun expert but, just a thought . . .

pistol.jpg

take care,
watercolor

OP
OP
funkman

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250

Watercolor,

That does look like the gun. It is a tiny thing that is why I thought it was a cap gun. It is heavily rusted as you can see from the pic but I will see what i can do to get some kind of marking or something off it. Thanks all for looking and replying.

Funkman

OP
OP
funkman

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250

BTW Watercolor....what type of gun did you show a pic fro so I can research it and see if that is what I have.

Thanks

Funkman

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

funkman, I found the pic at: armchairgunshow.com

There seemed to be quite a few manufacturers for inexpensive "midnight specials" similar to yours at the end of the 19th century. Very cool find!
Treat it with care though, it is MOST LIKELY still loaded!

watercolor

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Neat stuff

SilverSalmon

Mar 6, 2007
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

crazy that the gun was in the outhouse.....makes ya wonder what he was gonna shoot ???

OP
OP
funkman

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
Re: the ATV trails produce again!! UPDATED on the Gun

More on the gun.....

I did find underneath the grip (the very bottom if the gun where held upside down) the numbers 7720 and I just saw under the cylinder "2 CAL" so I am gathering it is definately a real gun and is a 22 caliber.

Looks a little different that what GoldFever posted cause the grip has a different shape and the hammer is different also, unless it is in cocked position.

ANyway will post more pics of the gun when I get home and take pics.

HH

Funkman

OP
OP
funkman

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
gonna have to try and clean it up but this looks like the winner on ID of this handgun.
http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/admin/product_details.php?itemID=13920

Anyone know when these would have been made? I am searching but most sites just have them for sale and I am not sure if they are repros or original. None show date of manufacturing that I can see so far.

Thanks

Funkman

Maryland Searcher

Mar 4, 2007
Maryland, Pennsylvania line
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT (New model)
[crazy that the gun was in the outhouse.....makes ya wonder what he was gonna shoot quote][/quote]

Hey Silver, I think I would hold it a little while if I had to take a gun in the Leau. Either that or that was one paranoid person!

Good going on the finds! Nice to see pics, especially of something not usually found.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back when I lived in a rural area and had an outhouse we were always finding a snake in there and often a big old rat. Oh, and a few spiders big enough that a .22 might not kill 'em! Monty

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
NIce finds there!

I found a similar button a few weeks back: EXTRA RICH GILT* ORANGE COLOUR I could not read the makers mark.

ghostrider1775

Dec 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI/ Grand Master Hunter CX3
funkman said:
gonna have to try and clean it up but this looks like the winner on ID of this handgun.

Anyone know when these would have been made? I am searching but most sites just have them for sale and I am not sure if they are repros or original. None show date of manufacturing that I can see so far.

Thanks

Funkman
Phoenix arms makes a version of these .22 caliber revolvers I have 3 of them. Fairly modern weapon, usually made of pop metal which does corrode if not kept up. Hope that helps. Jake

T

TreasureTales

funkman said:

Thanks

Funkman

If the gun found is an original and not a repro, it could be from 1873-1884. http://www.coltparts.com/pt_newline1.html

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Funkman....When I lived in Wisconsin I rented a place with an outhouse....Alway's kept my 30-30 leaning up on the inside,too many coyote's....Took quite a few out....That's the real McCoy....HH!!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o Neat find! And congrats on your coin finds too!!

Nana :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread