The ATX Really Likes Canadian Clad, I Have Done Quite Well In The Snow This Year

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
atxa_zps4ccc5535.jpg~original

I headed out of Edmonton late this morning to another popular snow hill. I dug some more coins and fortunately, some one and two dollar coins were found to really bring up the totals. You can see some of the coins starting to rust. Our latest clad - nickels, dimes and quarters are nickel plate over steel punched planchets. The ATX is hot on nickel, which is close or at some of the gold targets we find. And of course the ATX is tweaked to hit hard at those conductive levels. Our loonies give a nice softer audio and out toonies give a nice strong confusing signal due to the outer nickel ring and the center which is made up of mostly copper. Our mint quit making pennies two years ago, a real blessing too! Kids used to throw them at each other, and they were often found scattered in large quantities all over school and sports field.

atxb_zps878a59ee.jpg~original

Here's my coin totals found only with the ATX so far this year. I keep my sensitivity set at about 8, as I really don't want to try and hack out deep signals in the ground. The modulated audio makes it so easy to accurately guesstimate depths of coin sized targets. I dig all Low-high good sounding signals, as they could be a silver coin or ring or penny.

atxc_zps85cc8ad6.jpg~original

Here are a couple of rings I dug up so far this year. They are quite rare at this time of year. Not gold or silver, but I was just happy to get them anyways. The coin on the left is 5 rupees from India and the one on the right is from the UK.

atxd_zps3d8dcfab.jpg~original

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John you are doing great in the snow, but wouldn't it be nice to dig some dirt in a tee shirt:BangHead:,I bet your going to kill the finds when and if it warms up!

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
John you are doing great in the snow, but wouldn't it be nice to dig some dirt in a tee shirt:BangHead:,I bet your going to kill the finds when and if it warms up!

You are so right! It's been too cold, too much snow too long this year. Even as I type this, it is -18 with the wind and has been snowing all night. It's supposed to warm up next week. We will see :dontknow:

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just as it started to warm up and thaw here in NW ohio we got hit with another cold spell and snow. I am ready for the t-shirt weather again. Forecast isn't looking good though.

sask hunter

Aug 26, 2013
yorkton saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good job with our clad!! When I picked up my ctx during beginning of winter I did some air test with the preset modes and I don't think any picked up our toonies , loonies , quarters etc.. So kinds thought that was funny . Have a file now that does , but no love to our clad from stock lol , just looked outside and can't see across the street cause getting hit by a snow storm!!! It's been a long winter and no end in site

D.A.D.D.-Dads against daughters dating

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel for you guys further north than me. I'm complaining about 30 degree weather and you guys are still snow covered. Guess it depends on what you are use too. I have been out a few times but my hunts haven't lasted long. Sask it's getting close to my boys bday can't wait to give him that shovel you made! He is going to love it and then I don't have to give him mine anymore :)

sask hunter

Aug 26, 2013
yorkton saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You need to let me know how that goes!!! Like I said before that was a special shovel to me as well , hope he enjoys it!!

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF YOU had to pay for a machine like that with clad it sure would a long time.. Good thing WE just luv the hobby!!!

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
IF YOU had to pay for a machine like that with clad it sure would a long time.. Good thing WE just luv the hobby!!!

Hey Fishstick, I like when you post on the Garrett Forum. You always make a fool out of your self. What's the matter? Not finding anything? Frustrated because Fisher hasn't come out with a new machine. And by the way, I "LUV" metal detecting. I have been doing it for 20 years, and enjoy all types of hunting, be it clad, relics, water, snow hills whatever. Unlike you, I post my finds and often times help other Garrett users. I just don't have the time to waste like you to go on other forums and take cheap shots at people. And FYI, I did find enough clad, silver and gold to cover the cost of an ATX from last year.

troll.jpg

Last edited:

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why are YOU so sensitive Johnny?? It's like you don't like me or something. LOL.. Did I not say WE luv the hobby? I don't have to post every piece of clad I find to try and make MY detector seem like the best. hint hint!!! And I own a pro-pointer so that means I can post here.. LOL!!!!

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to let me know how that goes!!! Like I said before that was a special shovel to me as well , hope he enjoys it!! D.A.D.D.-Dads against daughters dating
i def will I'll take a pic of him with the shovel you made and post it. I hope he gives it to his son someday. Bye the way how's the knee?

sask hunter

Aug 26, 2013
yorkton saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not good KODIAK , still getting to dr appt, before surgery , hopefully not to much longer , realy slowing me down D.A.D.D.-Dads against daughters dating

John .... So do you use any type of sling or anything to help with weight of your atx? I don't think I would like to be tied down to anything , just wondering how my knee will do this year even after surgery being the ctx is heavier than my at pro was

Last edited:
OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
John .... So do you use any type of sling or anything to help with weight of your atx? I don't think I would like to be tied down to anything , just wondering how my knee will do this year even after surgery being the ctx is heavier than my at pro was

You know, the ATX isn't too bad in the water, or on level ground. I actually tried the sling that it comes with last week for the first time. It does lighten the load considerably, especially when working up a steep grade. I posted this on another forum to help with a heavy detector. I guess you could apply it to any detector that seems heavy.

Here are a couple of tips I suggest to maintain some good endurance when hunting without the sling on the ATX:

1) Extend only the lower shaft and middle shaft to get the proper length. If needed, use the third one. The lower two are much lighter in weight and will dramatically reduce the muscle strain on your shoulder.

2) Extend the rods only enough to keep them a few inches in front of your shoes. And that means no steel toe boots/shoes and no shoelace eyelets, otherwise, your coil will pick them up and you won't get very annoyed after a while.

3) Float the ATX hand-grip on your fingers, keep your elbow slightly bent and stand straight. (no slouching)

4) For a small arc swing of the coil, rotate your upper body at your hips. For a large arc, take tiny steps with your feet and rotate your body in either direction.

What you are doing is using good body mechanics, and sharing the load with arm, shoulder, feet and upper body. If you extend the coil too much, then you are dramatically increasing the weight, similar to a lever. Of course, if you are getting sore muscles, sore back, tennis elbow or any other arthritic issues from over-use of your body, use the Garrett Sling. Using the above suggestions while using the sling, it feels like using an ACE 250.

Good luck with your surgery. I work as a Registered Nurse with post-op hip and knee replacements. I work closely with occupational and physio therapists. I often tap into their knowledge to help with sore elbows, backs and shoulders related to metal detecting.

sling.jpg

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
john pulls more clad out of the snow than I do out of the ground. And he does the same in the water. He found more rings last winter than most guys find in five years. Its ridiculous. :notworthy:

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice to see someone posting their experience with the ATX. After some half a&& research I'll stick with my AT Gold. More than adequate for my purposes. I hope you enjoy your ATX. HH. Thanks for posting your finds. Cheers!

sask hunter

Aug 26, 2013
yorkton saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanx John for the tips !!! I had a total left knee replacement done 14 years ago I was 31 when they did it , very young as you probably know for a TKR!!! Now that plastic "Cartalige " they out between the two prosthetics is worn out to the inside and ended up tearing my MCL , so they will replace that plastic and repair that tear for me , and put off another TKR for as long as we can ,
Thanx again for tips!!

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OH Johnny, YOU are TOO funny!!!!

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Nice to see someone posting their experience with the ATX. After some half a&& research I'll stick with my AT Gold. More than adequate for my purposes. I hope you enjoy your ATX. HH. Thanks for posting your finds. Cheers!

You are correct. It is a niche detector. It does well in extremely high mineralized soils and saltwater. It doesn't do well in junky areas such as parks, near dumps or school yards. It picks up every tiny bit of foil, staple, pare clip etc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread