the beaches are sanded in - I hate to say it - but we need a Noreaster bad !!!!

tiggar

Sep 26, 2011
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
In the past 6 weeks or so, after the last Noreaster, which took approx. 3 feet of sand away from alot of the beaches in South Jersey, I have seen the prevailing westerly winds cover up standpipes that had been exposed by like I said, 3 feet of sand with the last storm. Everywhere that I commonly hunt is now sanded in. There is alot of beach surveying going on, so I guess they are gearing up for some more beach replenishment....

Upvote 0

Surfdigger

Jan 4, 2008
South Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur, Sovereign GT, Fisher CZ-6a
I know that it is getting harder to find. But if you can find a beach that hasn't been replenished in atleast 3 years or so....you will find that you have more accumulation in easier reach of your searchcoil and the chances go up that once you find that cut or low spot, You stand a better chance of a better volume of targets....Hey Tiggar.....sign up for facebook and join us on the Jersey Shore Beach and Surf Hunters group there....We are a great local resource to the beaches and we always have our finger on the pulse of what is happening and when here in Beach Hunting at the Jersey Shore !!

http://www.facebook.com/groups/54483518009/#!/groups/54483518009/?notif_t=group_activity

Digaholic

Sep 17, 2010
Rhode island
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been giving some thought about sand shifting from the water to the just above low tide mark to the high mark on the dry sand. Whatever you call it, if it covered up your hunting zone or lane. In other words, wouldn't this make it easier to find targets waist deep or chest deep if the sand in fact is now displaced. I watch a live cam of the beach I hunt on occasion, I have noticed the sand covers up one part of the beach after a storm and actually removes the sand bar in another area. I always try to hunt the area where I think the targets would be closer to the top.

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah, we need a good noreaster on the florida east coast also. beach renourishment sucks.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Gulf isnt much better. The sand bar goes from wet sand out about 30 yards with no longshore drift ditch. The sand is deep and soft. If you dont pay attention you can find yourself out on a sand bar with no way back to the shore because of drop off ditches. Not a good place to be if the high tide is coming. Plus everyone is either leaving pull tabs and floaters or there isnt a thing out there but them. Hard to dig good targets when the sand is spread like peanut butter on a slice of bread. There were times on Venus beach when the sand bar just dropped off down to 12 ft or so deep. So you had to keep you coil on the sand and pay attention or you went swimming.

Dew

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
If this was so easy everyone would just go out and pick up gold and treasures. Don't want to sound like a hard ass but get out and make that detector of your work for you. Try different setting and techniques, think out side the box! I have been at this along time and many a days I come home after a 5 hrs stroll with 13 cents. That's in 35 MPH winds and 13 degrees. The next day gold! Put your time in the rewards will follow!

OP
OP
tiggar

tiggar

Sep 26, 2011
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
thanks "buried crap NJ", but please don't mistake my lack of posts, or being a "junior member", for lack of experience. I have been doing this since 1995 and I was merely trying to state my observations of the last Nor'easter taking 3 feet of sand away from the beaches that I frequent, and now they are all sanded in from the persistent ongoing westerly winds. I did not want this thread to sound like I was crying, or weenie wining, and I apologize if I worded it wrongly....

thanks,
tiggar

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about us md,ers who just do the wet & dry sand just picking up pulltabs and clad .

Jonnie

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jonnie..... pull tabs and clad? Do what i do put it in AM and dig crab traps, bobbie pins, and junk jewelry for awhile ;D Didnt think you were whining but stating the obvious about the sand.

Dew

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dewcon4414 said:
Jonnie..... pull tabs and clad? Do what i do put it in AM and dig crab traps, bobbie pins, and junk jewelry for awhile ;D Didnt think you were whining but stating the obvious about the sand.

Dew
True that :BangHead:

Jonnie

OP
OP
tiggar

tiggar

Sep 26, 2011
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
thanks Dew, I appreciate that... that's what I thought too.....

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Tiggar,The beach is making the winter change as we chat, soon the main hunting season will open up and you'll see the targets come out. The winter hunt is a funny thing one day 100 coins and gold and silver the next day zero in the same spot! This time of year its truly you should of been here yesterday. Too often this happens to me as I miss it by one day. I work fulltime and only get to hunt maybe 30 hrs a week. See you on the beach. steve

OP
OP
tiggar

tiggar

Sep 26, 2011
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
ok Steve, thanks for the reply guy.... yea Steve, and the only bad thing for us is they have more beach replenishment projects scheduled for this winter.....and we don't need anymore sand....the beaches are fine, and the erosion is to a minimal amount. Usually they wait a few years after doing a replenishment before maintaining it again. They just completed a major replenishment project this past spring....
HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread