Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
My ExII arrived today via UPS. This has to be the easiest to assemble detector I've ever bought.

First impression was "yep, this is Minelab quality alright." Minelabs are of such high quality that they make other brands look like they came from a CrackerJack box. Everything is pure quality.

I only had time today to put her together and turn it on for about 3 minutes then had to get back to work. At this time I don't even know how to set the thing. But she sure hit hard in the air tests.

I read somewhere where somebody claimed their Explorer only air tested about 6 inches on a quarter. Well, mine must have eaten its Wheaties for breakfast because it reached way out there.

I like it already and haven't even gotten outside yet. Next week they say the snow will melt and I'll try it then.

I plan to bench test it and learn the general settings but probably before next hunting season I'll move up to the SE. Not because it's better, but for vanity reasons. Most of my buds use the SE so pride is getting the better of logic.

But for now I say that Explorer II is a quality built machine and I like the air tests. I didn't do a precise air distance measurement but it seems excellent. We know the air thing doesn't count all that much anyway.

Thanks for readin.

Badger

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck!!!!
And you will like the exp 2.....i still you use it even though i have the SE....

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
teverly said:
Good luck!!!!
And you will like the exp 2.....i still you use it even though i have the SE....

Thanks teverly. It's obvious from your finds that you know the Explorers. A dealer is offering me a new SE for my Ex.II plus $400. Honestly, do you think I'd be wise to go for the deal?

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Hey if you have a chance there is an Emulator out there for both Explorers. I use it to play around with settings and such. I think it is a useful tool. If you didn't get a DVD with your Beast you can call Sandy at Minelab in Vegas and she will send one out for free.

I think you will love the Beast. I would not spend the extra $400 until you are sure you like the detector. If you can afford it and image is that big a deal then that wouldn't be too bad a deal but you wouldn't be saving much. I personally am saving my pennies to buy an SE simply because I want to newest toy.

Welcome to the Beast club may you find lots of deep silver. One word of advice though... don't drop your machine. ::) :-[ :-\

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have to go with mastereagle on this...i would try the 2 out and see how you like it..the SE is an upgraded version.
Reacts a little faster and i think the screen nav is a little easier.....
The exp 2 is a good machine..get some time on it and see what you think......

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks guys! Took it out for a bit today. I see now why some get discouraged ;D

This is totally different from the Sovereign GT and everything else I've ever tried. :o

I didn't dig anything but sure got the signals (I can see you guys grinning).

But I'm not discouraged (a bit ruffled maybe but not discouraged).

With the GT I laughed at how easy it was to learn. With the ExII I laugh at how easy I thought it was going to be to learn ;D

Badger

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I will again reccomend the Emulator that is out there. It is really good and it will help you hear what good targets should sound like. I wish it had some indian heads and some colocated stuff but otherwise it is AWESOME and it is free. Let me know if you want it and I can see if I can find where I got it.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
let the games begin!! ;D im glad you finally got an explorer. im really interested in seeing what you think about it since you have used so many different machines. it is a little different than the other machines out there due to the way it sounds but i have no doubt you will pick it up quickly. one thing i love about the explorer is that silver makes a sound that you just know is silver! ;) lets hope that snow melts soon and keep us posted.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked into the SE and after doing so a dealer would have to pay me $400 to trade.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
mastereagle22 said:
I will again reccomend the Emulator that is out there. It is really good and it will help you hear what good targets should sound like. I wish it had some indian heads and some colocated stuff but otherwise it is AWESOME and it is free. Let me know if you want it and I can see if I can find where I got it.

That Emulator sounds great. Sure, let me know where to get it. I'll bet others would also like to know.

Thanks!

Badger

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
hollowpointred said:
let the games begin!! ;D im glad you finally got an explorer. im really interested in seeing what you think about it since you have used so many different machines. it is a little different than the other machines out there due to the way it sounds but i have no doubt you will pick it up quickly. one thing i love about the explorer is that silver makes a sound that you just know is silver! ;) lets hope that snow melts soon and keep us posted.

I already know it's extremely different. I never tried anything even remotely like it before.

I did notice the clear distinct sweet sound of silver.

Badger

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Iron Patch said:
I looked into the SE and after doing so a dealer would have to pay me $400 to trade.

Do you use the ExII ? I know lots of people like it much better than the SE. Dealers love to take in used ExII's because they sell so fast. I guess many sell to former SE owners.

Badger

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michigan Badger said:
Iron Patch said:

Do you use the ExII ? I know lots of people like it much better than the SE. Dealers love to take in used ExII's because they sell so fast. I guess many sell to former SE owners.

Badger

I used an XS up to maybe a month ago and now swing the two. SE users going back to the II was enough reason to settle on the II. I'll probably never know for myself how different they are as I'll probably never use the SE.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread