The best investment ever in this hobby is...

Jul 21, 2011
Wv 2 miles from Western,Md
Detector(s) used
Teroso Sand Shark

Rockin Chairs Gold

Dec 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Pro Coil, SunRay X 5.5, S.E.F. 6x8, Excalibur II
missmetaldetectingdiva said:
Post your best invest for this hobby. Mine other then my md ofcourse is A HARNESS!!! ;D After mding for six hours and having my arms feel like I wanted to cut them off Treasure_Hunter schooled me on getting a harness. I used one today and md'ed for hours and NO PAIN! That was my best investment for this hobby what's yours??

I'm 65 and live with a not so great back. My ability to stay out with E-trac is some what limited because of it. I have heard others talk of this harness but have not seen any information about what it intells , how much it costs, and from whom you can purchase it. If you could supply me with that info it would be greatly appreciated. Rick :coffee2:

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Two things after my detector. Electronic pinpointer and Lesche digger.
luvsdux

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Rockin Chairs Gold said:
Post your best invest for this hobby. Mine other then my md ofcourse is A HARNESS!!! ;D After mding for six hours and having my arms feel like I wanted to cut them off Treasure_Hunter schooled me on getting a harness. I used one today and md'ed for hours and NO PAIN! That was my best investment for this hobby what's yours??

I'm 65 and live with a not so great back. My ability to stay out with E-trac is some what limited because of it. I have heard others talk of this harness but have not seen any information about what it intells , how much it costs, and from whom you can purchase it. If you could supply me with that info it would be greatly appreciated. Rick :coffee2:

I believe Kellyco sells a good one, or you Google/Ebay "swingy thingy"...which are supposed to be the best. Or send a messege to Treasure_hunter or Mike from woodland detectors, both are very helpful. You won't regret getting one, they help immensely. :thumbsup:

Rockin Chairs Gold

Dec 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Dano Sverige said:
Rockin Chairs Gold said:

I believe Kellyco sells a good one, or you Google/Ebay "swingy thingy"...which are supposed to be the best. Or send a messege to Treasure_hunter or Mike from woodland detectors, both are very helpful. You won't regret getting one, they help immensely. :thumbsup:

I want to thank you for both the information and taking the time to pass it on to me. It is much appreciated, and I will be checking it out. Rick :coffee2:

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Garrett ProPointer is the best investment I've made for this hobby. I don't need a harness (although I can see how they would be handy) because my Tesoro machines are very light.

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with luvsdux, in that order as well.

Pinpointer is used to...well..pinpoint a target once you have found one with your MD, the Garret ProP will beep within a couple inches of the target so you know you are close, and solid tone once it's touching the target. The Lesche digger is a durable digging trowel to dig your plugs with, pop surface finds, etc.

What they do is save time, allow nicer and less holes.

Procedure: Find target with MD, take Pinpointer and "rub" the ground where target should be, if it beeps check the surface without digging, if no beep dig a nice plug with the lesche(or your digger) set plug aside, "rub" pinpointer over plug if nothing stick it in the plug hole and search the sides, if nothing go a little deeper till you get the beep from pinpointer then just shave away till you've got it.

You will still need to pin point with your detector accurately first or you'll still do alot of useless digging and mess making.

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Definitely a pinpointer. I don't think I could get by without one. Especially on deeper targets. Second would be invest in time. I have learned to really take time my time and do a thorough job searching a site.

-Swartzie

Rockin Chairs Gold

Dec 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
I bought my Minelab E-Trac last Sept, and prior to this machine I never felt a need to own a PinPointer so when the dealer who sold me this machine suggested I buy a PinPointer I just shrugged it off.

Well with in a couple weeks I was back to purchase a pinpointer as I have never had a machine before that would go so deep or finds item's so small. Just to much time lost and to big a mess made with out it.
I now own two pinpointers and will never again be with out it.
I have purchased several other items for this detector, but nothing is more valuable to me then the pinpointer.

In the photo is the item that convinced me to purchase a pinpointer. It is a small (1/4" by 3/8" inch) silver heart shaped charm for a bracelet. It was 5" deep in very loose soil. Thank the all mighty it wasn't in a well manicured lawn or a Park. I almost never found it. Rick :coffee2:

Attachments

• 163 (1280x960) (640x480).jpg
    163 (1280x960) (640x480).jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 408
  • 163 (1280x960) (640x480).jpg
    163 (1280x960) (640x480).jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 406

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definately best investment...... a good pinpointer!

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
yeah Guys & Gals I agree with the Garrett pro pin pointer and harness, that is one of my top tools!

- same as the rig above in the pic- it helps since I have tennis elbow issues, I totally wouldn't be detecting long if I didn't have a harness on.
...being able to swing the E-Trac with 2 fingers and go from about midnight to 9-10am detecting says it all...and yep my back and legs take a beating, so I'm sure you knee pad wearers just stop-drop n dig right? while I do the bend and dig equating to pain. :/ I'm about due to modify my technique to make life a little less painful... :) learn something new every day...

I can add that having a good head lamp works great for night dirt fishing along with lots of bug repellent! :tongue3:

this season I broke one shovel, snapped two digging tools (fiskas 6 inch blades) I'm working on my Lowes cheap $12 tool w/ the lifetime warranty, I think I bent that last weekend - so tell me about this Lesche knife people are talking about - what's the deal? is it made that much better? how much $ is it? I'm learning this deal about buying cheap sometimes works for some stuff, but tools tend to break before you get your use out of them so going cheap isn't usually a good idea.. my $7 replica army shovel still sits broken/bent in my car's trunk... I have a nice little harbor freight shovel (for woods digging) that was worth the $12 clams I spent on it.

ddjames

Aug 30, 2009
Rural Palmyra, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer, Whites V3i, Whites TRX pinpointer, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Garrett Pro Pinpointer, and the Lesche Digger. Used the Automax that came with my first detector, it sucked. Got the Garrett and it reduced my recovery time to less than a minute per dig. Which brings me to my digger, what can I say, I used 7-8 different $5-10 diggers, broke them all. Got the Lesche a couple years back, and it is incredible.

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Far and away the best investment for me was the Garrett Pro-Pointer pin-pointer.

It cut my retrieval time for a find to about one quarter the time I spent searching.
It's rugged and reliable, and zeroes in on the target often before I even start digging.

Great little piece of equipment.
:notworthy:

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All the stuff listed in the above threads is good..... But, the Best investment for this hobby is......

:icon_thumleft: Wikimapia :icon_thumright:

If you don't put in the time to locate a good site, all ya are doing is carrying around a bunch of
exersize equipment.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread