The best treasure is friends, TN Mass hunt

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Yesterday 7 of us from TN got together at our house for a hunt. I could'nt believe all the gifts that were brought. After much story telling, and treasre tales, we hit the road and started at the old Grist Mill. Much to our surprise the area was VERY clean. A 1919 wheatie, an old flat button (which is soaking to see the marks on the back) a piece with colored plastic stones, a unique what is it, oh I got an old bottle cap :D, and Scott found a modern quarter, we're not sure if Lara planted it for him or it came out of his own pocket :D.

We did decide to hit the corn fields and pumpkin patch, what a beautiful place to be. Lots of old lead which is promising, rusty tractor parts, few bullets, a 1910 wheatie and a modern dime.

Off to the town owned field above my house. The grass was a liitle tall and there were thousands of grass hoppers scurryigng around, every step they would jump out all over the place. We weren't there but 15 min, when we heard the quick bleep of a siren, then....."EVERY ONE OUT OF THE FIELD" from the loud speaker :-[. I went to talk with the "NICE" officer. He explained to me that a neighbor had called ad was afraid we would be taking Indian Artifacts ::). I asked "with a METAL detector?" He explaind we could walk around with our detectors all we wanted, but it would be a FELONY if we removed any thing from town property and he could arrest us (not that he had a problem with us being there at all ::)) STATE LAW ya know. I tried to explain to him he was mistaken, but I agreed to leave ( before "I" ended up in the back of the cruiser, I shook his hand :-\ and we departed grumbling and laughing. It was my husbands idea to try the field :-X.

Off to hunt around the woods by my house, nothing to write home about, so we grabbed our SCOUT Dan for the tour and headed down below the dam, where we found a well dug bottle dump, fossils, drift wood, some rusty iron, an old pair of pliers (left the detectors home, it was too steep a climb to haul the stuff with us). We laughed allot down there walking the rocks looking for a stray arrow head, telling stories and bantering back and forth. Lucky even had to carry his wonderful old dog through a couple of spots :D.

It was a beautiful day, and there is so much more to tell. I would like to thank you all for comming and I look forward to Fall when we hit those fields again. Thanks for all the presents!
Kim

Attachments

• deer mill fields 012.JPG
    deer mill fields 012.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 1,128
  • deer mill fields 012.JPG
    deer mill fields 012.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 1,138
  • deer mill fields 009.JPG
    deer mill fields 009.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,111
  • mass hunt 001.JPG
    mass hunt 001.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,116
  • mass hunt 002.JPG
    mass hunt 002.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 1,115
  • mass hunt 003.JPG
    mass hunt 003.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 1,090
  • mass hunt 004.JPG
    mass hunt 004.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 1,085
Upvote 0

garrettman64

Nov 8, 2006
mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 pro & Whites Classic SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You so Much for an awesome time ;D ;D . I hope I can come back in fall. ??? I thoroughly enjoyed the whole day even though my knee was acting up again ;D
my many sincere thanks from William aka garrettman64 ;D ;D

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
It's funny you talk for a little bit here. then meet up and it's like you knew everyone forever. It was a day I will always cherish, thank you!

DDEXPII

Aug 27, 2006
MA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB EXPLORER II & the sun ray probe
thanks for the post. dont forget Im in ma too ::)

HH DEEPDIGGEREXPII

Fozzy

Dec 11, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX and Classic III
Looks like a great time! Maybe I can join you in the fall.

In other news, I'm a Massachusetts Police Officer. Unless there is a town bylaw in place, there is no law against metal detecting on town-owned property. State parks and the like are another story with detecting prohibitions made under the respective agencies rule-making authority. It is absolutely not a 'felony' to metal detect. Digging on town-owned property might be regulated. I'd just be super-curious to know what 'felony' this officer was referring to! :D

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
We usually post in the Mass section when we are planning a hunt, I'll try to let you know when we are planning the next one. With the size of those fields we will need all the people we can get to really search them.

The officer said it was a STATE law that if you removed any thing from town property it would be stealing and therefore a felony :P. I knew he was wrong and probably would have pushed the issue a little if there weren't 6 guests with me. That would have made a story if the paddy wagon showed up :D. Could you PM me with where I could find the law in writing? I am going to talk with the Chief, I would like to hit other town spots.

Keep an eye out for the Fall hunt!

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you guys had a great day..glad we didn't see a photo of you in the back of a cruiser!

au4me

Mar 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whatever get"s the job done
Country Girl,

I have been to hundreds of Treasure Get togethers and I have to say that was the most fun I"v ever had, I am frothing at the mouth to get back there in the fall, PLEASE let me know when the corn is cut and Lucky and I would love a chance to get to the Ferry Crossing field,As usual we"ll keep in touch and please let your husband know that I enjoyed meeting him and Dan and Thank You for a great time.

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
At least you had fun and enjoyed some good company. Great pics!

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
au4me said:
Country Girl,

I have been to hundreds of Treasure Get togethers and I have to say that was the most fun I"v ever had, I am frothing at the mouth to get back there in the fall, PLEASE let me know when the corn is cut and Lucky and I would love a chance to get to the Ferry Crossing field,As usual we"ll keep in touch and please let your husband know that I enjoyed meeting him and Dan and Thank You for a great time.

Gerry and Dan had fun too! I myself had a blast, I keep picturing you touching that rock, aka styrafoam, aka bees nest and jumping out of your shoes :D. I will definately let you know when they cut the corn and we'll get back out there! We will keep in touch, glad Lara introduced us your a good man!

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
For those of you who attended the hunt and went hungry...I will make an attempt to attend one in the Spring (It's "Football Time in Tennessee" so there is very little free time this fall) if CG will turn her kitchen over to me the night before so you won't starve after the hunt ::)

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Hey Country Girl,

Been away for a while here. Good to see posts from ole friends.

Yes I fully agree that friends are the best treasure. So far I have only had one detector friend here and that was Daytondigger coming down from OH to SE KY near TN, VA, KY border. He did fairly well and came out with some good coinage, I also found my best coins to date to while he was here. But more than that just meeting up with one awesome dude and learning from him and having a good time sharing stories was awesome.

I wish they had events near me. That is once my hands are fixed so that I can detect. Perhaps in the future things will change for me and I will be able to afford to make the trip to other's treasure hunts and meet some more of you great peps.

Glad to see that you had a great time. I envy those of you that have partners near and those of you that get to go to t-hunting events. You always have such great stories to tell and it seems like you always have a great time.

Congratulations,

Postalrevnant

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
looks like heaven to hunt.I'm sure there's a lot more out there like on those benches.

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Badger, no snow yet, why do you have to be like that :D. Seriously it was very cool only around 50 in the morning, it did warm up to the 70's with a nice breeze though. Even the weather was perfect for detecting.

Post, you are welcome to come here to detect with us. I hope those hands heal up and you are able to get out soon. There have to be other detectorists in your area, start looking for them now, so when your ready, you'll already have plans. Thankss for the kind words!

Heaven? My husband calls it "perfect" :D!

laralucine

Dec 27, 2004
S.E. PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 Minelab X-Terra 50
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys! I'm just getting around to posting cuz the next day, while strenuously laying on the couch, I somehow made my neck seize up and I've been resting since. Needless to say, I had a great time with everyone too, and will post the couple of pix I took soon. Thanks Kim for hosting and everybody for being great hunting buddies! Kim and Scott, check for a PM from me:)
LL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions