Silver Member
Sep 22, 2006
lower sackville,nova scotia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garretts only
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My late great digging bud, the Birdman used to always tease me about how I detected. He called my pattern the "drunken sailor grid."
Of course I rubbed it in that he swung a Whites and gridded everything off.
Went out today and decided to conduct a serious scientific experiment to support my hypothesis that; (a) a drunken sailor grid is just as effective as a lateral grid (b) that the dsg(drunken sailor grid) is just as fast as a lg(lateral grid) in producing quota.
Here is the test bed.

(a+mdd+bs)+ss divided by Ho x rd @ sf & T= dsg g quota. For the lay man the formula goes as follows;
(age plus metal detector deterioration plus battery strength) added to swing speed divided by hung over times recent drops at school field and time equals drunken sailor grid quota.
Now if you are opposed to that formula the one for the lateral grid quota goes as follows;
ff/rd % uddf x diccohf divided by pl @ pf x T=lg quota.
Again to simplify you the unknowing :
field finds /recent drops and the percentage of an unknown detectorists detected the field times detectorist in complete control of his faculties divided by pure luck at the playing field times time equals lateral grid quota.
With scientific methods adhered to I concluded that the average time for a dsg quota averages out to 2 hours 45 minutes.
The control began as I laterally gridded off the test bed immediately becoming aware that my pencil needed sharpening. No problem as I dug these two pre high school manual operated sharpening devices.

I had to buckle down and exert my massive grey matter.Not be diverted from my experiment...........um did find a buckle too.
Philosophically speaking in a hypothetical manner the incident was totally irrelevant considering all the facts encompassed.
Sheldon! Sheldon! Sheldon! I did by the way,as a byproduct of the experiment unequivocally prove the existence of the "String Theory."

Three hours and 10 minutes later the lg quota was obtained. Lolapalooza! The result was unwarranted in the scientific detectorist community! They think I'm mad....mad you say!

Upvote 6

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bazinga I like your drunken sailor style it resembles my detecting also.

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is funny! :laughing7: Congrats!

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To find the true correct way you have to play

Scissors cuts paper, paper covers rock, rock crushes lizard, lizard poisons Spock, Spock smashes scissors, scissors decapitates lizard, lizard eats paper, paper disproves Spock, Spock vaporizes rock, and as it always has, rock crushes scissors

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
Sorry to hear about your dig'n buddy ... but you freaked me out on the rest of the story

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If i can have a day like that i will copy your style.Congrats.HH.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But you had fun! Done the DSG a few times myself! I usually just follow the detector around it's smarter than me anyhow! HH!

Vonclemen29

Apr 15, 2013
Central mississippi
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter commando, minelab xterra 505 9", 6" coil, minelab pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I do too. Reason #1, you can always go back confident you will find something, #2, I'm too lazy to grid, get bored fast. Because if I gridded an area I'd look at that area like its empty an probably not hit it again. Good formulas.... Lol

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
perhaps you should make a video on the scientific theories of said "drunken sailor" vs lateral grid. I believe Sheldon would be quite jealous if your hits outnumbered his flag vids.
& yes Bazinga! that was quite a haul!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds Les, looks like about $6 in change. :thumbsup:
The LC looks pretty toasty, any idea what it is?

Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread