The Birch Gang and Old Grant Reddens Hideout

rayc50

Apr 11, 2008
East Central Illinois
The 'Birch Gang' and 'Old Grant' Redden's Hideout

Hi, All! Been doing some research on the Birch gang and found that the Montrose that Bonney referred to is located across the Mississippi River in Iowa...south and west of Nauvoo, Illinois. Took some time, but finally found that any of the gang's caches, supposedly would have been buried in the bluffs in that area or possibly in a wheat field near Redden's hideout. There is also a Montrose in Illinois near Effingham, but according to Bonney's travels it would have been too far for him to traverse in just a day or two while searching for Davenport's killers. I have, in fact, pretty much pinpointed a possible location for John 'Old Coon' Birch's homestead, which consisted of 40 acres, more or less. But...aaaggghhh.....too cold for me at this time to actually tramp through the fields and woods. I had a post on here about a year ago and someone had asked about Devil's Creek. It is also located in the Montrose area in Iowa. I live too far...downstate near the Indiana line....to travel to that area at this time. Feel free to check it out. I'm sure I'm right on the location. I also have the website for Bonney's story and a few others that can help. If anyone's interested....I can post them. HH Ray

Mr.Jody

Jul 6, 2008
florida and everywhere....
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5 Quicksilver
Re: The 'Birch Gang' and 'Old Grant' Redden's Hideout

I go to Missouri alot and travel right through or close by , but like you said, its to cold for me to go out in that stuff too!I'm from Florida.....lol

OP
OP
rayc50

rayc50

Apr 11, 2008
East Central Illinois
Re: The 'Birch Gang' and 'Old Grant' Redden's Hideout

Hi, Mr. Jody! How's everything in Florida? I used to go down there quite often when my parents were 'snowbirds'. They belonged to some kind of national camping organization. They stayed in a campground down there just north of Haines City. I did some detecting down around there, but that was all inland. Never hit the coasts. Had an aunt in St. Pete and used to go to the Tampa-Clearwater area also. Let me tell ya', I'd rather be down there in the winter than in Illinois. Let me know if you get up around the Lee County, Iowa, area. I'd be interested to know what your research might turn up. I've been digging into the Birch Gang history quite a bit. I have an old Clark County, Illinois, history book of Clark County that was published in 1883 and it has quite a few pages about the Birch gang and the persons in the area connected to them. Checked out their names on Ancestry.Com and found the Birch's listed in the 1850 Census and 1840 Census. They had in fact moved between 1840 and 1850. It was good to hear from you. If you have any questions, give me a shout! HH Ray

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions