deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew it was only a matter of time and things would switch around with the boy and I. Lol

I got a pretty good start to the year having most the better finds coming my way. I had a 12 to 2 lead on silver and we were equal on gold after it took me a year to finally find my first gold. He found 7 gold rings last year.
Yesterday our hunt was all about him. Made a quick stop starting at our colonial site where all I found was what looked like some old brass piece of jewelry, wasn't even worthy of a pic. My holes were filling with water before I could locate a target.
The boy on the other hand found another big copper, pewter spoon handle, thimble and another nice flat button. A quick stop at another property (1851) that's been hit hard over the years.
The boy gets what we think might be a 3 ringer, a weird copper/brass leaf and a wheat, myself nothing.
Then one last quick stop at another property on the way home. We hit this place one time last year but, only a fast short hunt.
Neither one of us were finding much when the boy hollers over to me, BIG SILVER!! Sure enough he finds the first big silver for either of us and it's a silver spill.
He first spots a big silver coin laying shallow in the plug, it was only maybe 2" deep in the ground. After he picked the 43 Walking Liberty from the plug he noticed another coin laying under it, a 43 merc. Both coins were laying on top of each other, in the one pic you can see where the two were touching.
To say he was stoked would be an under statement. Lol

Some pics...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 135
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 134
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 133
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 135
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 137
Upvote 19

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a bunch of nice finds looks like y'all had another fun day. Wish my son would find something when we go out so he would like it better. But at 9 he loses interest quick lol. HH!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow congrats to both of yas, great hunt!!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats to the boy on finding the BIG SILVER. I know that he was excited when that monster sized sliver slab appeared... and a Merc to boot. Very well played as usual! GL&HH.

PS: That Walker is in really nice condition, great details, mine are both really worn, but hey...

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Of all the silver coins from the 20th century ..the Walker is my favorite...Very Nice, and Congrads on it!! And from Maryland..!!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice walker. Just found one myself.

Congrats on the double silver and the rest!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My boy ( Cjon ) always beats me, so we just have to settle for being proud papas, right? He isn't really mine ( I think he belongs to the UPS guy ), lol...a little old lady thought he was my son when we hunted her yard.
Great finds, especially the big silver. Post some cleaned pics, please...that leaf might be special.

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man what a silver spill! That Walker is beautiful! This just means you're next up for the Big Silver. Keep at it, y'all are having a killer year!

OP
OP
deershed

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Everyone!! The kid has the bug bad now since he found that half.

Just woke up, I worked last night and the boy just texted saying he just found a silver quarter??

OP
OP
deershed

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My boy ( Cjon ) always beats me, so we just have to settle for being proud papas, right? He isn't really mine ( I think he belongs to the UPS guy ), lol...a little old lady thought he was my son when we hunted her yard.
Great finds, especially the big silver. Post some cleaned pics, please...that leaf might be special.

No settling here, it's on now!! Lol

I find us a new property I wait and hit the property together with him. Then he shows me his gratefulness by going solo when I'm at work, like today. I worked 7pm until 7am and while I'm laying down today he goes and finds a silver quarter? He just texted and said it was a 49 Washington.

He did this to me all the time last year. It's on now. Lol

OP
OP
deershed

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a bunch of nice finds looks like y'all had another fun day. Wish my son would find something when we go out so he would like it better. But at 9 he loses interest quick lol. HH!

In MDing I've never had to do it but, when I first got the kids started in shed hunting I'd plant a few sheds to get them fired up. Either that or I'd conveniently miss spotting a shed or two and let them find them.
Plant a couple decent finds and let the boy find them.lol Or you next real good hit pass it up and direct the boy some how over that target and let him find it.
Don't plant anything real special so his first good find turns out to be something planted. Just enough to get him interested and excited.

bigfish313

Nov 11, 2013
El Cerrito CA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and BH SS II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on all those great finds!

In MDing I've never had to do it but, when I first got the kids started in shed hunting I'd plant a few sheds to get them fired up. Either that or I'd conveniently miss spotting a shed or two and let them find them.
Plant a couple decent finds and let the boy find them.lol Or you next real good hit pass it up and direct the boy some how over that target and let him find it.
Don't plant anything real special so his first good find turns out to be something planted. Just enough to get him interested and excited.

I recently found myself looking after five 9 year old boys when their mothers decided to have a knitting powwow.:hello2: We were at a park with 3 sand Volleyball courts and I just happen to have $140 in rolled 50 cent pieces. I asked my 9yo son to teach the other boys how to use the metal detectors and pin pointers. After 30 minutes every boy found a 50 cent piece... They are all hooked and ask me often about my latest finds.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

now THAT is some funny stuff!!! lol, I remember that day I was like "thanks dad" geez your not THAT much older than me for crying out loud!

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looking at the earth stained walker I'm trying to envision how beautiful it will look cleaned up. I say that because it is in what appears to be stunning condition! Great find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread