THE BRITISH GRAND SLAM OF COINS - WHOOHOOOO...UPDATED DOUBLE WHOOHOO

D

dugupfinds

We were thinking that we would not get much today because the 1/2 acre left to do at the far end of the field had not produced much last week.

On the way to the field we noticed they had started digging the water pipeline trench. We jumped out the car & noticed they had only taken of a 20 metre wide (80 metres long) trench but only 1 foot deep. So we tried this area. On the first strip all I had was a musket ball. Half way back on the second strip I found a Roman Coin at the same time Dad found a Celtic Coin. Celtic coins are extremely rare & I have sent photo's of it to the museum to record it (I will update later). Went to next field & pipeline trench where I found a Medieval Short-cross hammered. THE GRAND SLAM - CELTIC-ROMAN-MEDIEVAL - I can't remember this ever happening before!!!

Then we went on to do the 1/2 acre & as expect found very little!

Coins - Tasciovanus (20BC-10AD) Bronze Unit, 2 Roman Coins, Henry III 1216-72 - Nichole (Moneyer) of London.

Buttons - Livery - Bird over H, Small 19th Century type.

A whatzit nail:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,86564.0.html

and bits............

Attachments

• coins.jpg
    coins.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 973
  • buttons.JPG
    buttons.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 963
  • bits.JPG
    bits.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 961
Upvote 0

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: THE BRITISH GRAND SLAM OF COINS - WHOOHOOOO...

Awesome finds Dug, congrats and thanks for the pics and story! HH, Mike

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan

All I can say is... Wow!!
Amazing stuff DF!! Congrats!

Smiles!
BDoo

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's what dreams are made of...WOW!!!

smudger

Apr 9, 2007
uk
Detector(s) used
dfx.10x6dd coil

well dug....

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Awesome day..

and plenty of sweet finds!!

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250

Wow, that's some old stuff! ;D

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland

Wow dugup, that's some great archeology! You really found a great location for your trench, that's a better day than I've ever seen them have on "Time Team", (which I would venture you also watch..). Those Roman finds are fantastic. Congratulations and well done!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice to see you are finding good stuff especially this time of year. 8)

Harry_Morant

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2006
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great finds - there are some advantages to living on that soggy island of yours ;D

OP
OP
D

dugupfinds

DJ_Quinn said:
Wow dugup, that's some great archeology! You really found a great location for your trench, that's a better day than I've ever seen them have on "Time Team", (which I would venture you also watch..). Those Roman finds are fantastic. Congratulations and well done!

Yeap watched every one of Time Team shows. I know a couple of the diggers (background one's). One of the ladies who they visited & one of the archeologist which they called in for one of the plane crashes.

If you noticed all the good stuff is found by the Metal Detectorist. But there is still some snobbery about using us & their lanuage when talking about us is putting us down. We should get more credit & mention for the free work we do & the giving up of the finds to the dig. (none are kept by the finder).

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland

dugfinds said:
DJ_Quinn said:

Yeap watched every one of Time Team shows. I know a couple of the diggers (background one's). One of the ladies who they visited & one of the archeologist which they called in for one of the plane crashes.

If you noticed all the good stuff is found by the Metal Detectorist. But there is still some snobbery about using us & their lanuage when talking about us is putting us down. We should get more credit & mention for the free work we do & the giving up of the finds to the dig. (none are kept by the finder).

I couldn't agree more. I am also a Time Team junkey, but at least metal detectorists are tolerated in the UK. In Ireland, the laws are very dodgy and it is not seen as a legitimate hobby. It is a hobby, that for me, combines elemets of many areas that I find interesting and pleasurable; exploring, discovering, archeology, coin and relic collecting and history. I can put on my earphones and block out the stresses of work, relationships, etc. while I am able to be outdoors and breathing fresh air.
I can do it alone when I need a break. My other hobby is writing, so I suppose the fact that I have two hobbies that you can do alone is the end result of a childhood spent with my nose in books and exploring.

OP
OP
D

dugupfinds

Reply came back from the Museum:

thanks for this, it'll be CCI 07.03??. It's VA 1705/Spink's no. 242, one of Tasciovanus's early bronzes, say c. 20 BC. Still a reasonably scarce type, with about 35 recorded here of which one third are from Harlow temple.

This is now our earliest coin ever.

Tasciovanus reign only started in 20BC.

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland
dugfinds said:
Reply came back from the Museum:

thanks for this, it'll be CCI 07.03??. It's VA 1705/Spink's no. 242, one of Tasciovanus's early bronzes, say c. 20 BC. Still a reasonably scarce type, with about 35 recorded here of which one third are from Harlow temple.

This is now our earliest coin ever.

Tasciovanus reign only started in 20BC.

Bloody hell, that's exciting! Nice to see that someone with an interest in history and archeology is getting to these finds before someone just flogs them on ebay.

sonny0065

Jan 10, 2007
warner robins, Ga
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Really great finds. I would love to find something that old. And just think about the history behind them. Maybe I'll moveto the UK. HH Sonny

dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 5 Garrett ace 350
all hail mr dugfinds and his pop your finds make me check out the airfares on ba and vigin atlantic congrats to you both hh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread