Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an unusual story to share about a bullet I found last Friday in my next-door neighbor's yard.

I own some acreage about 90 miles from my house. We go up there to hunt, camp out, shoot targets,or just make day trips in the summer to "get away from it all".

Anyway I was searching my neighbor's yard last week and found a fired bullet. My first thought was that it had been fired many years ago..maybe someone was hunting in the field before the houses were built. But the bullet didn't look that old, in fact it still had a little bit of a coppery shine to the tip, and looked to be of a familiar caliber. That's when I thought about the firewood that was stacked in my neighbor's yard about 15 years ago...

I realized the bullet was my own! But what does the firewood have to do with this bullet?

Around 1989 or 1990, my brother-in-laws and I went out to the property for a visit. At one point we decided to do some target shooting down a hill, where our target was stapled to the bottom of an oak tree that was probably 16 inches in diameter.

About a year later, I went back down that same hill and noticed a tree in the woods had fallen over. What made me notice this particular tree among the others was that it splintered very badly toward the bottom. At first I thought it was from the high winds we had the month before. Then I realized the tree was the one our target was attached to. The tree weakened from the bullets and split, causing it to fall. Sure enough, I saw staples from our target and some pieces of lead sticking out of the wood.

On the next trip, my next-door neighbor came with me because he was looking for some firewood. I told him I knew where he can get some. We made a trip back and cut up fallen trees, one of which was the tree that we had used for our target.

We hauled the wood in a trailer and brought it 90 miles back to his house. It was cut and stacked along the fence that separated his yard from mine. It was quite an eyesore and sat there for a long time. I remember as he was using the chainsaw on certain pieces, sparks started coming out of the wood (some of the bullets were full metal jacketed and still lodged inside the trunk).

Eventually my neighbor ended up leaving his wife and moved. His wife decided one of the first things to go would be all that wood still sitting in the yard.

I matched the bullet up with my other unfired ammo just to be sure, and concluded the one I found in my next-door neighbor's yard last week had fallen out of the rotting wood when the family removed the wood from the yard.

And that's how my bullet traveled 90 miles. ;)

Nat

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool story Nat! What's the odds of something like that happening :D. Great storyline, thanks for sharing.

HH/Tim

OP
OP
Natman

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks! I was in a writing mood yesterday, waiting for the snow to melt.

Nat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread