The business end of things...

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Currently in the process of remodeling my living room, and needed to fund this project. To do so, today I sold 500 90%ers. Mostly Kens, but it also included five rolls of Bens and three rolls of Walkers.

My LCS was offering $4.75/coin. The best that my local pawn shops could do was $2.50/coin. Lol, smh.

Through craigslist, I was able to secure a deal for $5.10/coin.

Right now, coinflation.com is showing a value of $6.01/coin. So, I was able to realize 84.85% of melt value.

For $250 in face value of 90%ers I was handed $2,550 in cash.

Not too shabby.

Figured this would give some new guys insight into the business end of this hobby, many times your best bet for realizing profits as close to melt as you can get is through private transactions. Always proceed with caution, your mileage may vary.

Upvote 0

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Anything close to ten-times face is an attractive offer price to get IMO.

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is an awesome subreddit(PMSforsale) people use to buy/sell. Like you said, the best deals come from private transactions with no middleman. I've bought most of my silver from there for spot or under with no issues. But one must still always be careful. On the other hand, it's also nice and simple when you can just find a local buyer and meet up for a quick transaction.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Provident is currently paying $5.75 per coin, but you have to pay for shipping, and of course there's the trust factor. I agree, face to face is probably best.

I'm surprised your LCS was only paying 75% of melt. Mine pays closer to 85 or 90, and for large transactions I've bargained up to 95%. Of course, there are several stores in my area, so that may be a factor.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
good idea my coin collection may go toward collage

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Provident is currently paying $5.75 per coin, but you have to pay for shipping, and of course there's the trust factor. I agree, face to face is probably best.

I'm surprised your LCS was only paying 75% of melt. Mine pays closer to 85 or 90, and for large transactions I've bargained up to 95%. Of course, there are several stores in my area, so that may be a factor.

Isn't the minimum with Provident $1000 FV? The shipping isn't a big deal as the USPS Flat Rate covers it. The other benefit of person to person cash deal is there is no transaction history.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mastermind.Glad you made the deal.And sorry you let them go(been there did that).A bittersweet situation...just saying.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nicely done! :icon_thumleft:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did well. I dumped all my small denomination stuff last year, but kept a few pounds of halves I found all together. You have to consider your mileage when crh'ing. I haven't done much lately as the one bank demands everything be run through their machine and they won't take rolls, and the people at the other place just growl at me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread