The Butterfield Trail in Arizona

Gork

Dec 13, 2004
I posted this same message in the Maps section, but realized it might be better here.

The Butterfield Trail and the service of the Overland Mail Company (its official designation) in Arizona only existed from September 1858 to March 1861. The trail was 400.74 miles long in Arizona.

No Butterfield stagecoach was ever robbed by outlaws in Arizona. Once it was attacked and only delayed by Indians and that was at Apache Pass in February 1861 because of the Bascom affair. The instructions to the Buttefield employees was that the company nor the passengers was to carry any valuables on the stagecoaches. Outlaws would have no reason to hold up the stages.

There is a great deal of misinformation about the stage stations in Arizona. There were a total of twenty-six during the service of Butterfield with seventeen at the beginning and twenty-five at the peak in October 1860. Wikipedia has many errors concerning the subject. I stopped counting at twenty-five and gave up. The stations they list are taken from the highly inaccurate list made by Bailey who was on the first Butterfield stagecoach through Arizona to make an inspection for the Postmaster General. He misspelled many of the names and made only a rough estimate of the distances between stations. Thirteen of the station sites are on private land and the other thirteen are on Federal, State, and Indian Nation land.

There is only one identifiable Butterfield station ruins and that is the protected site of Dragoon Springs Stage Station. After Butterfield was ordered to close the line in March 1861, because of the advancing Confederate Army, the Confederates burned some of the stations and then the Apaches burned some because the thought they had won and driven the Americans from the territory. In the Western half of the State many of the stations near the Gila River were destroyed because of the great flood of 1861-62. The deep sand created by this flood and many others has covered some of the station sites in deep sand.

There are many contemporary buildings or ruins in Arizona that claim to have been Butterfield stations. None are true except for the ruins at Dragoon Springs. Photos are often shown of stage stations on what was the Butterfield Trail but these are later ones after Butterfield, some built on or near the old Butterfield site. After Butterfield closed in 1861 stage lines were not started up again until late in the 1860s. Some mail was carried by mule or horseback and this has sometimes mistakenly claimed to have been the Pony Express. There was no Pony Express along the Butterfield Trail

Another interesting misconception is the number of stagecoaches at tourist sites in Arizona that are represented as being old Butterfield stagecoaches. They are not. No Concord or Troy style stagecoaches were used by Butterfield in Arizona. Only the Celerity stagecoach was used. And besides, Butterfield was ordered in March 1861 to move all livestock, employees, and equipment to the central line.

My first book on the trail in Arizona was "Retracing the Butterfield Overland Trail through Arizona" that was published in 1973. This was nothing more than an atlas. In my new book published April 2011 titled "The Butterfield Trail and Overland Mail Company in Arizona, 1858-1861" I have set all contemporary references aside. In my research for this book, I researched, almost exclusively, government published reports from the period, first hand accounts by newspaper correspondents that traveled on Butterfield stagecoaches, and military reports. I have over ninety maps in the book showing its entire route across Arizona as well as many photographs. It also contains many GPS locatons. The information in the book as well as the body of the GPS determined by me are copyrighted and cannot be republished without my permission. I have written this book to preserve the history of the trail as to help protect what remains of the physical ruts of the trail.

Attachments

• Butterfield Book .jpg
    Butterfield Book .jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 1,517
  • Butterfield Book .jpg
    Butterfield Book .jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 1,017

TucsonHiker

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2010
What can you tell me about the stop in Cienega Springs area east of Tucson? Any pictures of what ever remains are there, if any? I have hiked the area quite a bit and explored what I believe to be the remnants of the old stop, but would love to verify this.

OP
OP
G

Gork

Dec 13, 2004
TucsonHiker said:
What can you tell me about the stop in Cienega Springs area east of Tucson? Any pictures of what ever remains are there, if any? I have hiked the area quite a bit and explored what I believe to be the remnants of the old stop, but would love to verify this.

The tracks of the railroad cover most of the old site. What you see there may be the old Asa Mckinsey ranch. The whole area is protected as private property. I give a detailed account of Seneca-Cienega Stage Station in my new book. It was first named Seneca and then later it was known as Cienega.

TucsonHiker

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2010
If I am not mistaken the ranch is located maybe a quarter mile east of the old water tower, is that correct? I was under the assumption that the station was located west of the water tower about a mile and a half or so???? It has been a while since I have been back in that area, but it is some beautiful country. The bridge that spans the Cienega Creek Reclaimation Project is an amazing spot as well, and good exploring down below it along the creek, well minus the Bears and Mountain Lions that have moved into the area.

OP
OP
G

Gork

Dec 13, 2004
TucsonHiker said:
If I am not mistaken the ranch is located maybe a quarter mile east of the old water tower, is that correct? I was under the assumption that the station was located west of the water tower about a mile and a half or so???? It has been a while since I have been back in that area, but it is some beautiful country. The bridge that spans the Cienega Creek Reclaimation Project is an amazing spot as well, and good exploring down below it along the creek, well minus the Bears and Mountain Lions that have moved into the area.
The old station site is definitely under the railroad tracks bed at the sharp bend. There is exact historical proof of its position. Asa Mckinsey's ranch was just west of the station about 1/2 mile. Too much to state here, but I devoted four pages to the subject including an 1874 surveyed map in my book. What every little is in the area has been searched to death by relic hunters in the 1970s, since the site is well known. During Butterfield's time no stagecoach was held up by outlaws since the line was not allowed to carry valuables.
The entire trail will shortly become a National Historic Trail. In Arizona all 26 stations sites are located on protected property.
Attached is a photo I took in 1970 (not very good) of the railroad bend that is over the site of the station.Please note that the photo is copyrighted.

Attachments

• Seneca Station 1970.JPG
    Seneca Station 1970.JPG
    307.2 KB · Views: 1,693

TucsonHiker

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2010
I am not much of a relic hunter, just like to get out and hike obscure places. I don't own a metal detector or pick things up off the ground, just walk and enjoy the history that these places have to share. I will have to look around and see if I can locate a copy of your book to brush up on the history again before I set out on another hike down there. Thanks for your time and information.

OP
OP
G

Gork

Dec 13, 2004
TucsonHiker said:
I am not much of a relic hunter, just like to get out and hike obscure places. I don't own a metal detector or pick things up off the ground, just walk and enjoy the history that these places have to share. I will have to look around and see if I can locate a copy of your book to brush up on the history again before I set out on another hike down there. Thanks for your time and information.
Actually you wont be able to find this book. It just came out. I don't know if you are referring to my first book in 1973 or not, but my second book, April 2011, is much more comprehensive. In the last forty years there has been made available from government archives a lot more material. You can only find the book at present by emailing me.

OP
OP
G

Gork

Dec 13, 2004
TucsonHiker said:

Here is part of a section in my new book on the Seneca-Cienega Stage Station. These may be the ruins that many often mistake for the old station.

Attachments

• Seneca-Cienega.jpg
    Seneca-Cienega.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 994

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions