The CB Radio

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
10-4. Started using one back in the mid-60's. Was a Johnson Messenger III. 12 channel crystal controlled and wattage tweaked.

OP
OP
rmptr

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Hey! That must be an old one!

I once had a Messenger 123... the 23ch am... and it was OK. No mod, though.
The Cobra SSB rigs had already come out by the time I had the Johnson.
I sure did want one of those. Never happened.

Now, might be a good time to have at least a couple nicely operational CB rigs on hand.

I've gotten very good service out of the RS HTX-202, also. Very good entry level ham radio.

Best
rmptr

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
rmptr said:
Without the CB radio, so many unsung philosophers of the highway would have been unable to share pearls with the rest of us, trapped at a desk in our cubby.

;D
I really hope that was tongue in cheek cynicism . If not , you have never had to live with it 24/7 for over 20 years like I have as a working tool and watch it deteriorate from a great working tool to a trash medium .

whitt459

Feb 20, 2006
i was in to it big time in the early 70s, still had to take a test to get a license cost $5.00 . had a cobra cam 88 base that would dead key 85 watts hooked up to a 500 bi-leanner(spelling) + an astatic pdl II beams on a 100 ft break-over tower, it would really get out, then the sunspots came along and killed all the reception so most of us got out of the business. whitt459

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Yeah back then it was no problem to straight talk up to 75 miles or so-no skip. Would talk to dad on the way back from Edmond (north side of Okla. City) from the base unit. We lived on the Kans/Okla. line basically. Then later the FCC jumped in with the 4 watt limit.

OP
OP
rmptr

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Ha! Ha!

Yah, I was pickin' on yah, Butch... ;D

Let's put it this way... I've run a 5x4, 5x3, 4x4 (deep under & progressive), 10 speed, 13 speed,
and a whole flock of different power plants, but prefer Cummins, or CAT (if I could afford one!)

When was the last time you ran a Joe-dog? ;D

I never did long-haul... local freight and heavy construction.

Best
rmptr

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
rmptr said:
Ha! Ha!

Yah, I was pickin' on yah, Butch... ;D

Let's put it this way... I've run a 5x4, 5x3, 4x4 (deep under & progressive), 10 speed, 13 speed,
and a whole flock of different power plants, but prefer Cummins, or CAT (if I could afford one!)

When was the last time you ran a Joe-dog? ;D

I never did long-haul... local freight and heavy construction.

Best
rmptr
You missed the real fun with a PIE 4x4 manual with a 2 speed Browning behind a pumped up Cummings . Took a while to wind up . Once the tar strips stopped thumping under the tires you were in the 'go directly to jail ' speed range .

Minstrel

Oct 12, 2008
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett-GTI-2500
Loved my CB---Browning Golden Eagle base station w/D104 mike, Super Magnum GP for standby, Stack 3 beams on a 75 foot tower, Ham M rotor. Loved the "ping" whenever I keyed the mike, and with the beams could reach out and talk. Had a cheapee Midland mobile unit with a power mike for around the local area. Paid my $5.00 and my handle was "Ye Old Coin Collector" and license was KRM1870. That was over 39 yrs ago.
Minstrel

OP
OP
rmptr

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
I remember that.... the Browning base station! a friend had one of those.. Nice radio.

I think I got a D-104 lollipop mike out in the garage... somewhere!
Just reached over and grabbed another... thought it might be a Turner, but it's a Yaesu.

Way back then I did have a beam antenna... it was a quad 2 element beam.
No rotator, and I nailed a couple long 2x4's together to get it up.
It was BIG!
Even at legal power I could TALK!
Couldn't hear off the sides of it and many people were upset at me because I talked when I had something to say... walked all over a lot of people, I guess!
They thought I was rude and running lots of power.
I just never knew they were there!
Then I got a 175amp linear. ;D

Best
rmptr

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use to be big in Cbing myself.I met alot of fine people on the radio and talked to people all over through skip shooting. I've had many radios as i use to buy out alot of people when they would get tired of it or have stuff set back. I use to be amazed at all the different cb handles. i just wonder how many now use there handles as screen names on the internet.
I still have quite abit of stuff here boxed up,including Galaxy, Cobra,Ranger radios,Texas star, Super Star,Eagle, Glenn,palomar,robin linears,watt meters,e.t.c.

I used to have cookouts for all the local people,at least the one's with respect for one another,it was some fun times.

Nova Treasure

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
A couple blocks south of the Elgin cashbox here and finally went out and got a cheapie at wally world to see who's talking what these days. Hadn't had one since the '70's myself. Nice little old Royce.

Yeah we was entertained for a bit but it's gone the way of the bench pile in the garage.

Now ya got me motivated to go hook it up again...

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that's a long time ago. I had a Midland with a, "Palomar" ??, 50 watt kicker. My handle was, "Underdog". And glad to report that I won the, "Bucket Mouth" of the week award from our local CB club once.

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always liked this song !

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
10-4 Rubber Duck,
The Hobo sends you 73's.

Big park on the Oregon/Washington border used to have a bunch of folks flying RC Planes until the illegal CBers with 100+ watt linear amps drove by on I-5 and the splatter signals sent costly planes on to never never land.

Met some nice folks on CB. Still have a couple for OTH use. Fine for local, but got into HAM for serious work.

"Keep the shiney side up and the dirty side down".

Grey

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so now I want ours back again real bad! I even use to have a small hand held till it was stolen, it was alot of fun met great folks and saved me a couple of times! ;D And the regular unit got me back to where I was staying once, with the help of a police man who was listening . And a trucker guiding me once in a rain storm! :icon_sunny:

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Ok,yeah we got a cb in the hemi.A magna 9,dual antennaes,think the boy paid about $400 for it and then had it tweaked.I don't know what all it will do but I know I have talked as far as 45mi.Not many can hear or talk back that far,but it has certainly come in handy several times and I do enjoy it.

OP
OP
rmptr

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
A Palomar linear amp just came up for sale in the paper it's a 300w unit but doesn't work Fan only.
I think it might need a power supply to drive the big tubes?
Haven't looked at it..

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...is great and the spectrum should be expanded.

Always have a communications PACE

Primary, Alternate, Contingency, Emergency

P: Cell phone
A: FRS Radio
C: CB radio
E: A phone card or a Dollar, in change

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread