The Clue #001

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I have a large collection of treasure books and stories that appear to have enough info to find a cache if you know the area. I will probably never get to some so I will post some with the heading of The Clue # -- I will start off with the state and amount suspected to be hidden.I won't bore you with the whole story, just a skimpy outline. There will be no X marks the spot, but if you live in the area and do a little checking you just might hit it. This info is free, but donations will be accepted. LOL Keep your eyes open. Frank

SAMPLE: Missouri--$200,000 in gold and jewels
Captain Dane kills rich old trader and escapes with his treasure. He bought a plantation close to the little town of Pass Christian and settled down. Yellow fever is taking one of his old crew who makes a death bed confession implicating the Captain. They form a group to get him and take him to trial. Someone beats them there and he is found swinging from the oak tree in his front yard. His property is searched, but nothing is found. Dane had bragged to neighbors about how much money he had buried by a tree close to his house.
Please, only input pertaining to the story. Does that town still exist?, etc. Is it all built up around there?

Upvote 0

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank....cmon.....pm me so Jason doesn't try to steal my thunder...even though I'm sure he knows EVERYTHING about it already....mmmm hmm

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Savant, that is quite a different version from the Captain Dane's Fortune that Fred Dorick wrote in his book Treasures Galore published in June 1996 by El Doro Press. In his version Dane's ship was burned at New Orleans and he ventured north to Pass Christain after splitting up with his crew. The question to settle on which version is right is Where is Pass Christain. Is it on the water where one could watch a ship burn or is it inland and north of New Orleans. Anyone know where it is?
Frank

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Charlie, I wonder if it is north of New Orliens, and how far.
The strange part is that stories are usally embolished as time goes on, but the reverse is true here.I wonder what the orginal sorce of the story was. Frank

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Charles, I can see this is going to be a library search for a local. Since Pass Christian is in both stories, that would be the place to look for a mention of the Captain. Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread