The Confederates froze their minie balls off!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did too, but the bulldozers just cleared some new land in a place that has proven to be a Confederate hot spot. I had to get through the upper crust of the ground with a full size pick no less!

I had found three minie balls, with one last one found at the end of the day, and the Deus was about ready to give up as I had found a breeding nest of aluminum cans. One of the last "cans" was deep, and since it was shaded there, the ground was pretty frozen. I had to get out of the house, I needed to do something as I found out my one cat Lily is terminal. And stress is stress. So I dug...

The last "aluminum can" turned out to be this: IMG_1358.JPG I have a pic of the back but it's still frozen so I'll let it thaw, instead of using hot water on it. That's a CS rope border stamped brass plate. It has a few slight bends to it and it looks like one of the hooks at least is still on the back.

Here are the minies. IMG_1360.JPG .69 minie, .69 Prussian variant, my first one ever, CS Gardiner and CS nose cast minie. After that I quit. It was just too cold. I know there has to be more there. Maybe at the end of the week.

Froze good out there, and rescued the earth from more precious aluminum. I KNEW the aluminum cans were just that, but had just decided to dig that awful spot to get rid of some cans as more Confederate stuff had come out of the area. The plate was slightly on edge and wasn't especially a good signal and was deep and the cans were blocking it.

Last edited:
Upvote 68

NZ49er

Apr 3, 2018
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Beautiful plate and good on you for getting it out of the cans
I did the same thing with a 12lb solid shot years ago in some roadside garbage. Banner worthy, even if you've already got one up. Sorry about your cat.

MetalArchSC

Feb 14, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep Yep Smokey, you weren’t lyin’...that is a beauty!
Congratulations my friend. Keep outsmarting that orange dirt with that laser coil of yours.

Banner!

HIGHSTRUNG

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2019
Camden SC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS 9" HF Coil, Garret Pro-Pointer, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outstanding! Congrats!

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Smokey, so sorry to hear about your cat Lily's illness. Pet's are truly more than just pets, they become part of the family. One Hewge Georgia Rebel Yell on the find and Save of the C.S oval plate and the CW lead. I'll vote Banner Find also regardless if you already have one up. Stellar find, and Continued Success to you in this hotspot.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again, Thanks all! Lily has more of my attention than any relic at this moment. She was tossing a twig all over the place the other day, has bad arthritis, like me, but when I go in the kitchen she RUNS and begs to get a treat! I don't know if she has cat radar but she can MOVE when I get to that kitchen! She has two boyfriends, Smoke, the big Russian Blue she grew up with and Lil' While, the 28 pound Maine Coon. Smoke don't take nothin' off nobody and Lil'while, well, he is the most gentle cat I have ever owned. I'm afraid when Lily or Smoke goes, the other one will go soon after. They are symbiotic.

It may warm up later in the week and I may go back to the spot for the rest of the targets I left. They were good sounding mid range targets, but using that pick was fairly hard. I didn't bother with most of the smaller targets due to the bad frozen ground.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And yes, it is the CS oval with rope border like the ones in Harry Ridgeway's information online. I have actually purchased a few items from him in the past, buttons.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry to hear about your fur face, them dang critters crawl so deep into your heart. I know that the joy of finding that incredible plate pales to the joy that she give you on a daily basis.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Smokey. I'd detect barefoot in the snow to find that one! Incredible! Wishing you and your cat the best and some good quality time together.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on an excellent find Smokey. Sorry to hear about Lily, but it sounds like its a good thing she doesn't know she is sick.

djackson7348

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
North Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find. Sorry about your buddy Lily. Enjoy the time you have left and appreciate the time you had.
Hang in there.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She had a great day today!

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
Good feline news of a great day!.. Great Buckle too!

g

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only been out twice this year. Haven't been able to find anyone to go with...I still have a few sites that produce but it got very cold this week.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lily is living life large. Had delicious cat stew this morning and is now sleeping it off with the other 4 creatures. Except for the one gangster cat who is looking for trouble at the moment. It could be a few days or a year or more for her!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Tommy. At this point she doesn't know she's sick. Could be a long time, or now. She just turned 15. I'm not real focused on relics right now...I'll clean it up before I die I guess...

IMO that's a Banner plate find.

I know 'plates ' are special but replaceable our Fur Family can not , I feel ya as I've lost 1 cat to cancer a year for each of the last 5 years excluding last year & now my 15 y/o Marble man has a small bump by his nose that has not gone away in 2-3 months [ looks like a pimple ], so I'm now worried about him. God bless you and your kitty.
Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread