Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On Wednesday, I decided to load up the CTX and head out early for a park in upstate Rockland County. There are some municipalities that will allow you to metal detect in their parks providing you are a guest of a town resident. I called my buddy who lives where I was going and gave him a heads up in case I got stopped by the local Sherriff. I also carried the email from the local Parks Department.
I was swinging the coil by 9;30 A.M. Little did I know that this hunt would turn into a marathon. (8 hours).
I hit a silver dime in the first hour of the hunt. But it was the recovery of an Indian Head Penny. that let me know that I wouldn't be going home early.
There were clad dimes and pennies everywhere and enough quarters and nickels to keep me from getting bored. I recovered a 14 kt Gold filled wedding band and a silver hoop earring, as well as a very rare Green Marble. (Marbles are cool).
My finds for this hunt were: 10q, 48d, 16n, 48 memorial pennies, 7 wheat pennies, 2 Indian Head Pennies, a 1934 Mercury Dime, and a 1950 Silver Roosevelt Dime. My total coin haul was 133 coins.
IMG_6331.JPG IMG_6332.JPG

IMG_6333.JPG IMG_6334.JPG

IMG_6335.JPG

On Thursday I heard the forecast of a rainstorm that was going to dump 2 inches of rain on the NYC area on Friday and Saturday. So I decided that another ride was in order. I decided to hit the same park and the CTX was the weapon of choice. It is a big park and there was still plenty of open lawn that I had not searched. Although I didn't start swinging the coil until 1;30 P.M., the plentiful finds kept me swinging for 5 hours. One coin in particular, an 1826 Large Cent, put me on notice that I would be riding home after sunset.
In addition to the Matron Head Penny, I dug out a Sterling Ring. My total coin take for the hunt was 128 coins. Two days in a row where I went home with more than 100 coins,
My finds for the day were: 18q, 42d, 7n, 55 memorial pennies, 4 wheat pennies, an 1826 LC, a no date buffalo nickel, a Silver Ring, a dog tag, a bullet, and a junk earring.
Yep, I would say
"THE CTX WENT BERSERK"

IMG_6325.JPG IMG_6326.JPG

IMG_6327.JPG IMG_6324.JPG

IMG_6323.JPG IMG_6330.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 31

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on finding the Large Cent, great old find! Nice old silver ring. Well done, about time you took that CTX out for a spin ;-) time for you to back to work.... leave some stuff for the rest of us!!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
..... There are some municipalities that will allow you to metal detect in their parks providing you are a guest of a town resident.....

Congratz on all the goodies !

Re.: the requirement that "out-of-towners" be a guest of a local person: How did you find that out ? I mean, .... is that in actual code and law, written somewhere ? That "non-local metal detectorists must be invited" ? :icon_scratch: Is this for all park-users? Or only for md'rs ? :icon_scratch: And is someone out their carding md'rs saying "show me your invitation" ? :icon_scratch:

I have never heard of a park's dept. rule saying "local md'rs only, except if invited". Is there a link to that rule ? Ie: in the park's or municipal code ?

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on your great hunts. That park sounds like you have a go to spot for quite some time. Definitely worth some door knocking in that community.

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Westchester and Rockland counties are 2 counties in NY State where some towns restrict the use of their parks and beaches to residents and their guests only. They also have some crazy beach fees and rules in Westchester County. They don't allow you in the water and detecting is allowed after the summer season is over. The county parks in Westchester and Rockland County do not allow metal detecting. The town and city parks do not fall under county rules, so some allow detecting.
Makes me want to move to California where there are no restrictions. lol

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Westchester and Rockland counties are 2 counties in NY State where some towns restrict the use of their parks and beaches to residents and their guests only. ...

I have never heard of a municipal park that was "for locales only". That's crazy.

So do tell: If someone from another state happened to be visiting, and then decided to go to the park (for a stroll, or to fly a kite, or whatever): Is someone there to check his driver's license to "see if he's got a local address" ? How do they know who's "local" and who's not ? And if no one's "carding" (for local status) for something like a person on a stroll, or playing ball, etc.... then how about md'ing ? Is that activity singled out so they "card" you ?

In all the time you were there md'ing, were you ever carded ?

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never heard of a municipal park that was "for locales only". That's crazy.

So do tell: If someone from another state happened to be visiting, and then decided to go to the park (for a stroll, or to fly a kite, or whatever): Is someone there to check his driver's license to "see if he's got a local address" ? How do they know who's "local" and who's not ? And if no one's "carding" (for local status) for something like a person on a stroll, or playing ball, etc.... then how about md'ing ? Is that activity singled out so they "card" you ?

In all the time you were there md'ing, were you ever carded ?

During the high activity months, (summertime), or special events, there are certain fees charged for the use of their parking lots. The fees are much higher for non residents and is collected at the parking lot toll booth. This is usually at a park that has a beach.
Local towns and cities control the policies for the parks in their municipality. If you're just strolling or playing a game of basketball, I don't think you will be challenged. I always request information about metal detecting. Over the years I have put together a list of cities, towns, and counties, in NY State. I don't make the metal detecting policy but I do try to stay abreast of their policy. One town in Rockland County that responded to my inquiry about their park rules on metal detecting, informed me of the GUEST policy. I imagine that since, metal detecting, will attract unwanted attention, and is regulated through permits, (in many places), you will get a visit from those who have the authority to question your activities. I always carry copies of an email exchange or a permit when I go to certain places. So far, in 2017, I have been stopped and checked for a permit, at least 4 times, in NYC.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread