The Curse of Civil War Gold

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
https://www.monstersandcritics.com/...ar-gold-new-treasure-hunting-show-on-history/

Just saw a brief preview. From the same folks that brought us The Curse of Oak Island. Just happens to be up by Marty Lagina's neck of the woods and they just happen to be using the same guy who does the metal detecting from The Curse of Oak Island, ( Gary Drayton ).

Some say the guys on Oak Island had some type of argument ? and maybe this is why ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Simon1

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other

################################

The caption under the picture says: "Kevin Dykstra and Frederick J. Monroe think they have discovered a boat containg $2million worth of Confederate gold stolen after the Civil War in this ship that popped up on their Sonar in Lake Michigan. "

Story goes it was in a rail car, yet 2015 they believe they found it in a boat.
So which is it ? Gold on a boat or Gold in a rail car ? ???
Instead of approaching Rick Lagina as an investor, maybe they should contact Tommy Thompson ? :dontknow:

cutty

Sep 8, 2004
SE tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its quite a confusing tale in that link. It refers to the boat, the boxcar, the boat, the boxcar and on and on

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
################################

The caption under the picture says: "Kevin Dykstra and Frederick J. Monroe think they have discovered a boat containg $2million worth of Confederate gold stolen after the Civil War in this ship that popped up on their Sonar in Lake Michigan. "

Story goes it was in a rail car, yet 2015 they believe they found it in a boat.
So which is it ? Gold on a boat or Gold in a rail car ? ???
Instead of approaching Rick Lagina as an investor, maybe they should contact Tommy Thompson ? :dontknow:

hahaha, what a horrible story. And thats how they started this series? I think a junior-high AV class could write a better script.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cutty

Sep 8, 2004
SE tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so going by odds.

what they showed & what he Actually dug was most likely Not the same things.

just production playing games
Gary Drayton said it was "period" because it had Lincoln on it!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other

Probably just a zincoln that has been in acidic soil too long in that case...

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm guessing that most of the even halfway serious metal detectorists on this website are much better than their "metal detection expert" Gary Drayton. I think that anyone who is allowed to metal detect at such famous sites because of their fame, and uses one of the best metal detectorists on the market will probably find some pretty good finds. I noticed Gary Drayton was holding the coil around 4 inches above the ground on multiple occasions, while swinging the metal detector in half circle swings. Those are things most metal detectorists learn not to do shortly after starting metal detecting.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Something off the internet that gave me a laugh...
m.png

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
C.S.A. Coin Page
The Confederacy did not produce many coins but a whole lot of paper money, as well as each CSA State printing its own bills.
The majority of the gold and silver coins in the CSA treasury were United States, British, French, and Mexican.
Many of us agree with you.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched the program and I didn't or couldn't see if what they found was a actual coin (a bent in half circular object). They just showed what they think they found and not an actual close-up of the object. This is just from my observation.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ROFL

I do still think what he held up was tarnished copper :unhappysmiley:

Just think, Now he can bring his railroad spike from oak Island down
and say it fell off the Track with the Box Car :laughing7:

Then again he may just insist the Knights Templers Sailed by

Last edited:
OP
OP
Simon1

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
9 things to know about Muskegon's alleged ties to Confederate Gold | MLive.com

This is a link which has an article from the Lakeshore Museum which finds little credence to Jefferson's gold being in Lake Michigan as "theorized" by Kevin Dykstra and Brad Richards.

Kevin Dykstra has also said he believes the park was laid out like a confederate flag, in part, to quietly acknowledge that the park was paid for with "Confederate" money. Why would a "Union" territory pay honor to the Confederacy so soon after the war ?
And why do it in a hidden manor ? This would indicate sympathizers ?
The park is one square block and they theorize it is laid out in a system of curved and diagonal sidewalks. Kevin Dykstra theorizes they resemble the stars and cross on the Confederate flag.
"A Bible would have been significant because Confederate and Union soldiers carried them in their saddle bags, Dykstra said. The books were jostled around during rides, which would wear away the sharp corners, making them rounded - like the sidewalks."

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
THE REAL STORY OF DAVIS BAGGAGE TREASURE TRAIN

Yes, I was roped into watching that "Curse of Civil War Gold" claptrap too. Other than the obvious question as to the bizarre theory that left over gold from the Confederacy was being hauled to Mexico to continue the war, got buried in Georgia by crooked Union soldiers, then somehow ended up over a thousand miles away dumped into Lake Michigan...
Next time I find a rusty square nut and a bolt, I guess I'll have to make a display case with the caption "parts from Jefferson Davis's treasure wagons'! ....
"The thirteen millions of treasure with which Jeff Davis was to corrupt our armies and buy his escape, dwindled down to the contents of a hand valise"- US Gen William T Sherman

13 million was an over exaggeration, but the contents of the valise is what CSA President Jefferson Davis had when he was captured in Irwinville, Georgia, May 3, 1865, the remaining CSA treasury was already divided, some on its way to Dioysius Chennault's Plantation in Washington, Georgia, and Davis's baggage wagon train on route to David Levy Yulee's Cottonwood Plantation in Archer, Florida.
CSA Se of State, Judah P Benjamin and CSA Sec of War, John Cabel Breckinridge, also received a share, when staying with Davis's cabinet a moth before, April 19, 1865, at the Marshall family's White Hall Plantation in Abbeville, SC, where they made plans to escape through Florida.
Davis's baggage treasure wagon train was one sturdily built ambulance and one heavy wagon, and headed by his brother in laws, CSA Capt Watson s and CSA Capt J D Van Benthuysen, with M H Clark, Tench E Tilghman, W E Dickson, Fred Emory, and J W Scott.
After arriving at Yulee's Cottonwood Plantation, word was received of Davis's capture, and 15 yo C Wickliffe Yulee and CSA Lt John S Purviance , Co G, 10th Florida Regiment , buried two of Davis's trunks in an outbuilding.
Nannie Wickliffe Yulee, before going to Ocala's Tuscawilla section to stay with her husband's Benjamin cousins, sent the rest to the railroad depot at Archer, where it was recovered by the Union Capt O E Bryant stationed in Gainesville, consisting of clothes, a hunting rifle and $35,000 in gold coin and bundles of CSA bills.
On May 25, 1865, the Union captured the remaining CSA treasury at Chennault's Plantation, but Confederate raiders managed to take $250,000 in Gold and silver specie in a surprise attack, that was never recovered.
Benjamin and Breckenridge, along with Davis's nephew, CSA Capt John Taylor Wood stayed in Ocala/Silver Springs in May ,1865, and made their escape from the Union, Benjamin to the Bahamas, Breckenridge and Wood to Cuba.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who’s this Gary Drayton guy anyways? I looked him up and he has some cheesy bio on how amazing he is and stuff. Seemed to me when he was on the island he was just swinging with no certain area in mind or grids he had he wanted to check.
Said it before........ They didn't pick him for his detecting skills. He was more than likely picked because he was a "colorful character". Think casting for a show or play not so much skills. He's a quirky funny guy that the has some skills and the viewers would like. Notice too that they brought him after the stiff as a board archaeologist & geologists. They needed someone to add a little humor. Think like a producer not a THer or detectorist and it makes sense.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Said it before........ They didn't pick him for his detecting skills. He was more than likely picked because he was a "colorful character". Think casting for a show or play not so much skills. He's a quirky funny guy that the has some skills and the viewers would like. Notice too that they brought him after the stiff as a board archaeologist & geologists. They needed someone to add a little humor. Think like a producer not a THer or detectorist and it makes sense.

Actually, I haven't thought of him as Humorous .
he's not snotty by any standard. but I haven't thought of him as a funny guy.
I do wonder if the accent is real or Fake though.

Last edited:

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Actually, I haven't thought of him as Humorous .
he's not snotty by any standard. but I haven't thought of him as a funny guy.
I do wonder if the accent is real or Fake though.

His accent is real. I've talked to him long before Oak Island and he was a nice person. I don't say anything at all negative about him, because the producers of these shows are the ones that allow the crazy stuff to take place and direct and tell them what to do. I know that for sure from hearing directly behind the scenes of other similar detecting shows. So I think it's the producers of these shows to blame for the outlandish theories and crazy ways of doing stuff and I would be willing to bet those in charge of those decisions have never actually did any of the field work with detectors or anything related in their lives and to them it's all about entertainment and the all mighty dollar...history and reality are totally absent.

OP
OP
Simon1

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
When Gary Drayton was shown with Josh Gates, ( Expedition Unknown ), a couple years back, they were in the UK and he had that accent then.
He was looking for the lost British Crown Jewels and they showed what they said was to be period correct artifacts, and also that this area of bog had once been traveled.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread