The dangers of thrifting ... Vintage Singer Sewing machine

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Today I went into the thrift store looking for jewelry and came out with a diamond of a sewing machine. They had a vintage 1954 Singer (15-91). I paid a hundred. I looked it up on Ebay, and they go for about $350. So I posted a picture to my sewing group, asking $350 with a check or pp transfer w/o fees, and I would pay the $40 shipping. One of my friends asked me to do a test stitch out to see if it works.

Oh boy, does it ever! I wanna keep it now!!! My husband is going to have a cow because I haven't sewn in two years. And I have 1 sewing machine, 1 embroidery machine, and 3 sergers. It has all metal parts, and it will only cost me about $80 to get it tuned up.

(file this away in the back of your head, old Singer machines that are a featherweight go for a lot. Especially if you have everything. These old machines are made with metal parts, which is why they still work.)

2015-01-21 13.35.26.jpg 2015-01-21 13.36.33.jpg
2015-01-21 13.39.45.jpg 2015-01-21 14.32.14.jpg

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Featherweights go for a LOT, Featherweights are 221, not 15 91. That is not a featherweight.

I bought a featherweight for my ex-wife for her birthday (just before we split up). She asked me for one just before we got married, so it fits that I get it for her just as we get a divorce...

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I have an in. I can sell it on to my sewing friends. I also belong to a sewing selling group on Yahoo. No fees, reach a lot of women who sew.
I'm not a hundred percent going to keep it. IF someone is willing to pay $300, I'll part with it. I know this isn't a featherweight. I thought it was until I picked it up! LOL.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
My Goodwills have had two featherweights(221) in the last month(with cases) and they knew enough to put them in the auctions. One went for $200 and the other went for about $250. I would have jumped on the deals for $100.00. But they look almost exactly like the one you have pictured, but with a black box that you would not guess held a sewing machine unless you knew what to look for.

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Probably about 12 years ago, my father in law gave me his mothers old Featherweight. I believe it was missing the foot pedal or the cord. We didn't know if it worked. I sold it for $350, and that was BEFORE I did ebay as a regular seller. I did speak with the woman at the sewing store about cleaning the machine. She said that the vintage machines are not going for as much as they used to. It's a shame. The new machines are made with plastic parts, which STINK! The older machines are made with metal parts. Oh man. I am going to end up keeping this machine. LOL.

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have one of the turn of the century pedal jobs. I ran the serial number and it was made in Germany. No other information as it was all destroyed in WWII. It is roached out and dirty. I got to find somebody who refurbishes these. One of these days!!!

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Is it a treadle machine?

I'm back towards leaning towards keeping it. I'll never make money if I keep keeping all my good finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread