The day the silver died-- RIP --Southern Arizona

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Loomis has now calibrated their sorting machines to reject the silver nickels. This is a recent event. Therefore, all silver is being removed from Wells Fargo bank coinage(and other banks contracted with Loomis). All silver halves, quarters, dimes, and nickels are being eliminated at the Loomis distribution point. Yeah, it sucks. I am thoroughly bummed out. One of my favorite hobbies is gone. Wonder which area of the country will be next? The hobby is ruined for hundreds of people here in Southern Arizona. :sad10: RIP

Upvote 0

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Liu21 is correct. Every place is gonna have a different style and operate not exactly the same despite it being under one national corporation. You're only as good as those who are left in charge. The place reflects that. There are plenty of rogue and/or bad managers out there. Some managers deviant more than others from the general company standards. Some deviant so much, they do bad or selfish things that get them fired. I've seen this too many times at too many places to name.

There's a lot of people here that like to make generalizations about everything which is far from reality. Sure it's simple to make generalizations or be prejudiced. It makes decisions easy but the smart ones look at every situation on a case by case basis.

I'm only taking the OP and jrf30 at their word. jrf30 has been here for a long time. His posts have always been consistent and everything that he's said goes along with what he said years ago about the area being dry. I recalled him discussing talking to the coin sorting facility employees about it years ago too. It was in a much older thread. His story has not changed.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Liu21 is correct. Every place is gonna have a different style and operate not exactly the same despite it being under one national corporation. You're only as good as those who are left in charge. The place reflects that. There are plenty of rogue and/or bad managers out there. Some managers deviant more than others from the general company standards. Some deviant so much, they do bad or selfish things that get them fired. I've seen this too many times at too many places to name.

There's a lot of people here that like to make generalizations about everything which is far from reality. Sure it's simple to make generalizations or be prejudiced. It makes decisions easy but the smart ones look at every situation on a case by case basis.

I'm only taking the OP and jrf30 at their word. jrf30 has been here for a long time. His posts have always been consistent and everything that he's said goes along with what he said years ago about the area being dry. I recalled him discussing talking to the coin sorting facility employees about it years ago too. It was in a much older thread. His story has not changed.

You can't look at this situation on a case by case basis. This is the only situation in the whole Country that this have ever happened (supposedly). Don't you at least find that slightly odd?

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
You can't look at this situation on a case by case basis. This is the only situation in the whole Country that this have ever happened (supposedly). Don't you at least find that slightly odd?

I disagree. You don't know if it happens elsewhere. This is a forum. Not all CRHers report here. One guy in my area that used to take my boxes I ordered is much older and he has no clue how to use computers let alone deal with forums.

It may be happening in another part of the country. 1.) The CRHers are not reporting here due to various reasons. 2.) Those areas may not have CRHers that do volume or if it's a rural or less populated area, may not have people interested in the hobby. 3.) If they lived in skunksville, they may have given up on the hobby already.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I disagree. You don't know if it happens elsewhere. This is a forum. Not all CRHers report here. One guy in my area that used to take my boxes I ordered is much older and he has no clue how to use computers let alone deal with forums.

It may be happening in another part of the country. 1.) The CRHers are not reporting here due to various reasons. 2.) Those areas may not have CRHers that do volume or if it's a rural or less populated area, may not have people interested in the hobby. 3.) If they lived in skunksville, they may have given up on the hobby already.

So basically you agree with me but are to stubborn to admit it. This forum has a very wide cross section of people from all over the country. So yes I can say with relative certainty that it isn't happening anywhere else in the Country.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
So basically you agree with me but are to stubborn to admit it. This forum has a very wide cross section of people from all over the country. So yes I can say with relative certainty that it isn't happening anywhere else in the Country.

I don't really understand you at all. We're going in circles, so this thread is gonna die out unless the OP or jfr30 gives updates. You can read my posts here again if you want but I've explained everything already. Not every CRHer will post here. For example, Do we have routine posters from Milwaukee WI?

Also please refrain from insulting comments such as calling other people "stubborn" because they don't agree with you. I know that you've been told by moderators here in the past. :icon_scratch: The world does not revolve around mxh5891 or me for that matter. You have your opinion and I have mine.. I'm not calling anyone stubborn here.

Last edited:

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't really understand you at all. We're going in circles, so this thread is gonna die out unless the OP or jfr30 gives updates. You can read my posts here again if you want but I've explained everything already. Not every CRHer will post here. For example, Do we have routine posters from Milwaukee WI?

Also please refrain from insulting comments such as calling other people "stubborn" because they don't agree with you. I know that you've been told by moderators here in the past. :icon_scratch: The world does not revolve around mxh5891 or me for that matter. You have your opinion and I have mine.. I'm not calling anyone stubborn here.

I am sorry that you find the word "stubborn" so insulting. It wasn't meant to insult you so please don't take it as an insult.

As for this thread, I was just giving you my opinion and you were giving yours. That's how this is supposed to work isn't it? I thought we had a good little debate going. As far as the world revolving around me, I actually got a little chuckle out of that comment. You couldn't be further from the truth.

You and I both know that with the level of people's dedication to CRH that if a coin facility was culling all the silver in an area somebody on here or another forum would know about it. Heck, a guy dumped 5k worth of pennies somewhere and it was posted a few times on the CRH section and the coin section.

My final thought on this thread as I think it's come to its conclusion is that while someday a coin facility might have machines that inadvertently cull silver. Today is not that day. Heck we even had a guy come on here and tell us about silver he pulled out of a Loomis box in Southern Arizona. Most likely scenario is that the OP is just on a bad skunk streak and wants to blame loomis.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I remember at one time it was nearly impossible to find silver in Michigan. Seems there was a company removing the silver from circulation. Any other old timers like myself remember that?

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I am sorry that you find the word "stubborn" so insulting. It wasn't meant to insult you so please don't take it as an insult.

As for this thread, I was just giving you my opinion and you were giving yours. That's how this is supposed to work isn't it? I thought we had a good little debate going. As far as the world revolving around me, I actually got a little chuckle out of that comment. You couldn't be further from the truth.

You and I both know that with the level of people's dedication to CRH that if a coin facility was culling all the silver in an area somebody on here or another forum would know about it. Heck, a guy dumped 5k worth of pennies somewhere and it was posted a few times on the CRH section and the coin section.

My final thought on this thread as I think it's come to its conclusion is that while someday a coin facility might have machines that inadvertently cull silver. Today is not that day. Heck we even had a guy come on here and tell us about silver he pulled out of a Loomis box in Southern Arizona. Most likely scenario is that the OP is just on a bad skunk streak and wants to blame loomis.

As I've said before, I'm just taking jrf30 at his word. If you think he's lying, then that's your opinion.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I think I remember at one time it was nearly impossible to find silver in Michigan. Seems there was a company removing the silver from circulation. Any other old timers like myself remember that?

I recall a thread about MI being dry but I don't recall a thread about a company removing silver from there. I recall folks talked about how bad the odds/ratios are there. I had a co-worker who had recently been to MI and he has family there. He said that he got 50 cent pieces as change in various venues there. I don't know who is or what business is using halves there but if halves get circulated like quarters frequently, silver tends to disappear faster.

There should be a thread for discussing the skunkyiest skunksville areas in the U.S. LOL

Last edited:

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

I don't see anyone from Atlanta GA listed. I've investigated your posts, where is the regular forum poster from Atlanta GA? You found someone from GA but it could be Perry as well. The member doesn't say where he's from specifically. Sure it may serve the Atlanta FED but Atlanta FED serves a large area including other states other than GA. That's like me requesting you find a forum member from San Francisco CA and you found a member in Sacramento CA. It doesn't say specifically where the member is from.

Even in my area, there is more than one coin sorting facility. BTW San Francisco FED also serves other states like AZ. Just because a member says they're from a FED district, it means nothing. It is very vague. Someone from Northern AZ awhile back mentioned that it wasn't dry there.

I mentioned regular posters, some people will start their forum ID, post a few, then stop for whatever reason. People have various reasons why they don't post or stop posting here.

Last edited:

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see anyone from Atlanta GA listed. I've investigated your posts, where is the regular forum poster from Atlanta GA? You found someone from GA but it could be Perry as well. The member doesn't say where he's from specifically. Sure it may serve the Atlanta FED but Atlanta FED serves a large area including other states other than GA. That's like me requesting you find a forum member from San Francisco CA and you found a member in Sacramento CA. It doesn't say specifically where the member is from.

Even in my area, there is more than one coin sorting facility. BTW San Francisco FED also serves other states like AZ. Just because a member says they're from a FED district, it means nothing. It is very vague. Someone from Northern AZ awhile back mentioned that it wasn't dry there.

I mentioned regular posters, some people will start their forum ID, post a few, then stop for whatever reason. People have various reasons why they don't post or stop posting here.

St. Paul MN?

SMH...I see your the type of guy that has to be right, no matter how silly they look. Why can't you just admit that this forum has members from a large area of this country? You randomly picked places to see if there are members there and members either answered you, or looschange found posts from members from those areas. While we can never prove the question of loomis culling silver unless we went undercover in the coin facility. We can at least agree that this forum encompasses a large area of the US.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see anyone from Atlanta GA listed. I've investigated your posts, where is the regular forum poster from Atlanta GA? ...
Look harder.

...It doesn't say specifically where the member is from...
Does too.

...I mentioned regular posters, some people will start their forum ID, post a few, then stop for whatever reason. People have various reasons why they don't post or stop posting here...
The member that said they are specifically from Atlanta has over 1000 posts with the most recent one being yesterday and an average post rate of over 0.7 per day. I'd call that a regular poster - IMO.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mxh, some of your posts are coming off as condescending please stop.

Last edited:

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
SMH...I see your the type of guy that has to be right, no matter how silly they look. Why can't you just admit that this forum has members from a large area of this country? You randomly picked places to see if there are members there and members either answered you, or looschange found posts from members from those areas. While we can never prove the question of loomis culling silver unless we went undercover in the coin facility. We can at least agree that this forum encompasses a large area of the US.

I'm just getting specific into details. Like I said, I don't like to generalize. If someone is from Perry GA, it's not ATL, they're 100 miles apart. The poster member mentioned by Loose Change doesn't say if they live in ATL. I'm used to having provide evidence to court. One can't be general when it comes to that. It's obvious we come from different areas in life and different ways of thinking. I guess that's why I have to sometimes tell you to go back to read my posts again.

I NEVER SAID the forum doesn't have members all over the country. Some areas may have Tnet members and some don't. If I wanted to name a small town USA that doesn't have a Tnet member, I could. For example Chico CA. I threw out some larger areas. I said we just don't know if culling isn't happening elsewhere, if it's happening in AZ like jrf30 said. Even if it is happening in their area, members might not post it. Some may not be serious CRHers and just gave up. They realized it wasn't worth the time and effort. From what I understand, you believe that others here would've reported it here already if they suspected culling by the facilities and that's why you're suspicious of what the OP and jrf30 wrote. My point is that is may also be possible that members aren't posting culling because they've given up or for that matter just don't want to post here. Basically you see the glass half full, I see it as half empty or vice versa.

It is correct that we don't know for sure what is going on the Loomis facility in Southern AZ. I am just taking jrf30 at his word but you are not. So there lies the glass half full/half empty debate.

That's why I recommended the OP to try a different venue in his area. My area has more than one venue for sorting coins. If the Loomis boxes are absolute skunks, then try Brinks. I'd like to hear the results since it is an interesting topic.

Last edited:

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Look harder.

Does too.

The member that said they are specifically from Atlanta has over 1000 posts with the most recent one being yesterday and an average post rate of over 0.7 per day. I'd call that a regular poster - IMO.
I only read the link you gave me which was vague. I read the link provided. I didn't go into all his other posts. If that is correct, then I stand corrected. My apology on that one.

I don't know if those other posters from Boise ID or Kansas City MO are regular posters. Though.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread