The DeLeon

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All this talk about the Vaquero has got my attention.
What advantage would it have over the DeLeon, being that it has 4 more kHz? I'm thinking depth, perhaps?

Also, to manually ground balance, do you just turn the knob? Or, do you also have to pump coil?

Deleon is a 5 pin. Vaquero is a 4 pin with HOT circuitry, maybe too hot sometimes. It's more than just the frequency....

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys, thanks for the info. I'm not going to jump off and buy one anytime soon, but it's in the back of my head. Maybe a crazy deal on a used one.

I would have to get it in my head how any other detector could possibly be better than the Deleon for coin shooting and jewelry hunting. I am fully convinced that it's in a class of it's own. It's great to be so happy with a purchase. Doesn't happen too often. But I do love my Lesche shovel, my jewelry loupe, and metaldetector.com finds pouch, and other unmentionables. Bug spray, gnat net, gloves, and my handy Fred's blue little bucket. Makro Pinpointer. Orvis 3 wt fly rod. Being dog and cat free, again. And on and on.

buckeyesilver

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Deleon
Teknetics Patriot
Tesoro Cutlass 2
Deteknix pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have owned just about every current model Tesoro (except for the Cortes and the water machines) and many of the older models as well. So far, I would say the Deleon is my favorite due to digging less trash. I'm not lazy but I do have some lower back issues. Enough so, that I was medically discharged from the Army after 13 years. As I mentioned before, my first detector was the 7 " coil version Compadre and I got really good at working with it and using the discrimination knob. However, the Deleon's ID really helps me out in deciding what may be foil or gold or aluminum from silver

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of the things that impresses me about the Deleon, are the rock solid sounds of the single tone. This is a Tesoro thing.
Use another brand for a little while. Then swing your D over some targets. "Daddy's home."

If you don't own a Tesoro, take the time to watch some videos. Then you know.
Of course most folks here own a Tesoro, so this is old news.

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting points in this thread... thanks, all.
Still fairly new to this hobby, and while I do like my Cibola I find myself wanting more info... but I also want a water proof machine thats good for silver coins & gold jewlery of all types, performs just as well on trashy land as it does in wet salty sand, and can be used for nugget hunting. Guess i should stop trying to find that unicorn and focus on what i do most, which would be coins and jewelry on dry land, with wet salty sand coming in at only a hopeful second. And nugget hunting a wishful third. Do I really need three machines?

Meanwhile Ill be looking more into this Deleon model, i do like the sound of it.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If your name is a description of yourself, then I speck you're gonna own 3 machines whether you want to or not. Sooner or later.

Thanks for joining us. The Deleon is a great MD. All Tesoros are great machines. I'm partial to the D, because it's the only Tesoro I know.

The Deleon is not a water detector. Very poor performance in wet salty beach sand, even damp sand.
Very good on dry sand, and anywhere else, except some places out west.
I don't know that first hand, but there have been some writings of this on this forum.

However. Another member on this forum provided me proof that SW Georgia is a highly mineralized area. Fortunately, I have experienced zero problems.

A telephone call to Tesoro might would help. Ask for Rusty. Super dooper guy.

Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread