All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Bayard

Oct 8, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1 probe, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've dug a number of coins over 10 inches deep, including some clad.

Marylanddetctr

Aug 20, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2
Whites spectrum xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dug a lot of deep coins and a lot of shallow old coins, depends on the ground, if it's hard pack coins are usually only a few inches, if it's a soft sandy type ground or topsoil/ cornfield coins can be 8-12 or even deeper

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
^ What they said. It all depends on the area and type of soil. Here in eastern Colorado the dirt is a crazy hard mix of clay and sand that solidifies like a brick when dry.

Silvers here are usually found 4-6 range....although have been found at 2. Most clad is 1-2 inches and barely under the surface.

I would imagine a soft peat moss type soil would allow coins to work much deeper as others have testified to.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a lot of factors that will determine how deep a coin or anything else will be found at. Often times the grade or topsoil layer has been altered, either soil removed or soil added. This may be as simple as whether the coin signal is in an open field or under some one hundred and fifty year old oaks that drop their leaves yearly, adding to the depth of the coin at the time of finding it. Tree roots will also cause shifting of the coin or other artifact. I have found old silver a few inches deep while in the same property, clad at several inches.....So there is no unfailing rule of what to expect a depth of a coin to be found.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am in Ohio, and my deepest coin was a large silver at 10 inches (wet soil and during a rain shower). I have pulled many wheats and IHPs at 9 to 9.5 inches. Some areas may have had fill laid over the years which increases old coins depths just as some recent construction and grading can bring them shallower.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread