The drought is finally over - this blind pig found two acorns!

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
I've been tracking my swinging hours since Jan 1st just to satisfy my curiosity. Until today, it was 45 hours of hard swinging and no silver. Today, Watercolor, DP Bob & I headed out to a house slated for teardown. The yard was loaded with old rusty nails - a real nightmare to me with the SE....

After a while, I started hunting inside a privacy fence that parallels the old public sidewalk. After digging some junk, I got a good signal near the fence where the ground was still frozen. Had to chop through the first three inches to get a hole started. It pinpointed with the probe with a still promising signal. :) I couldn't believe it when I looked in the hole and saw the shiny glint of silver! I pulled it out and saw that it was a 1908 O Barber half - my very first Barber half and my first silver of the year. :o Sorry, I did manage to scratch it on the back. Oh well - not a key date - whew.

Barber Half in hole.jpg

I rescanned the area and got another signal a foot away. This one rang up big, too. The ground there was a little more workable. I cut a plug and pulled a 1912 D Barber dime!

Barber dime on plug.jpg

Watercolor found an Indian. After the house, we went to the woods and met up with Treasurefiend, Twistidd, and Mikewaz. Twistidd had found a great pocket spill that also included a Barber half! Treasurefiend found a silver George, and DP Bob found a Merc on the way home. Some of these finds might wind up in the Illinois forum, along with Treasurefiend's video of Twistidd's huge pocket spill. Thanks for checking out my finds! It was a great day to get out with fellow T-Netters!! :wink:

Barber half small.jpg

Barber Dime small.jpg

Upvote 0

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Those are nice.

It was well worth the wait. Barber halfs are rare to come bye. 45 hrs is a long silver spell. I get iritable after just 4 or 5 hrs in the field without a silver.

I hunted about 10 hrs over the past 2 weeks maybe 12. Got one silver but it was a 1852. Just like your case. Those beat 5 mercs 5 rosies etc you get where I am going. Quality over quantity.

HH Jer

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
And this Blindpig got none ,.............O' Come on , Y'all know I had to say it!!

:thumbsup: Blindpig

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o KD! 8) Dang!!! Way to go! Beautiful old silver! Looks like ALL you guys did good today! :o

Congrats~ Nana :wink:

OP
OP
kimsdad

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Detector(s) used
JimBeHuntin' said:
What a great way to end a silver drought ... a big CONGTRATZ on the Barbers!
Thanks, Jim!

cladqueen said:
Very nice finds. What a way for my first post to start here :wink:
Thanks and welcome to T-Net Cladqueen! I'm honored to be a part of your first post. I'm looking forward to seeing posts of your finds! HH!

extractor said:
Congrats on the barbers :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thanks my man!

dave-enc said:
great day of finds wtg
hh
dave+bobbie
I appreciate it guys!

TreasureFiend said:
Awesome job bud!!!! Big-time congrats!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Here is the pix of the silver when we meet up out in the woods. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thanks Kermit! It was great seeing everyone out there. Great pics, too - thanks for taking them! They'll be a part of my 2009 detecting book. :wink:

watercolor said:
Neil, I just KNEW you were due for the big silver. . . I'm just glad I was there when you found it :thumbsup:
BIG congrats!!
Mark
Thanks Mark! The season begins - ;D

litefire56 said:
Wow Neil, WTG on the great finds. I was out your way at Shiller later this afternoon after dropping off my girls at O'hare. Got skunked too!
Wish I would have hooked up with you guys but it was a last minute decision to stop there.
Thanks! I wish you would have come out too - It would have been great to finally meet you. I'm glad you got out on this great weather day.

bilt46 said:
Excellent 1st of the year.. I got about the same amount of hours in for the year And NO silver yet...
BillT.
Thanks, Bill! Isn't it frustrating? After a while you wonder if there's any left out there. I'm not that picky either - even a Merc or Rosie once in a while would at least make it feel like I was doing something right. The odds have got to be in your favor now, and I hope it comes BIG for you when it does finally come! :wink:

John987 said:
Congratulations! That's a great way to start getting silver this year!
John from NY
Thank, John! ;D

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Alright, Neil!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Wow, that's a pretty awesome coin for your first silver of the year! What a way to break the silver drought!

Major congrats to you!!

:icon_king: :icon_king:

CAPTN SE
Dan

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
HUGE CONGRATS NEIL! That Barber Half is my favorite coin and what a great way to start out the year!! AND you got a Barber Dime too!!! Killer day man!

OP
OP
kimsdad

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Detector(s) used
silverfreak said:
What a way to break into the silver this year :thumbsup: Way to go buddy.
Thanks Bryce! Still a long way to go to catch up! ;D

JerDfx said:
Those are nice.
It was well worth the wait. Barber halfs are rare to come bye. 45 hrs is a long silver spell. I get iritable after just 4 or 5 hrs in the field without a silver.
I hunted about 10 hrs over the past 2 weeks maybe 12. Got one silver but it was a 1852. Just like your case. Those beat 5 mercs 5 rosies etc you get where I am going. Quality over quantity.
HH Jer
Thanks Jer! Keep the relics and cool old coins coming, will ya?! :thumbsup:

blindpig said:
And this Blindpig got none ,.............O' Come on , Y'all know I had to say it!!
:thumbsup: Blindpig
Ha! Ha! I had no idea, Blindpig! ;D ;D I guess there's two of us! :snorting: :snorting:

Nana40 said:
:o KD! 8) Dang!!! Way to go! Beautiful old silver! Looks like ALL you guys did good today! :o
Congrats~ Nana :wink:
Thanks Nana! The sun was shining on us all up here! :icon_sunny:

rtde3 said:
Way to get back on track! Congrats! :thumbsup:
Thanks! I hope I can stay there now... :)

Nick Pappagiorgio said:
SUPURBEOUSLY SPLENDORIGHTEOUS ... :thumbsup:
I guess there will be NO more Buffalo's in my future ... :'(
Rock On with Your Bad Argento Finding Self ... :headbang:
~ Nick ~
I appreciate it Nick. Sorry about the buffs...NOT! ;D

Baldingboy said:
Nice job! Bet that was a happy dance. Congrats!!!!!!!!
Baldingboy
Thanks BB! Man I tell you, I was floating on air!

Captn_SE said:
Alright, Neil!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Wow, that's a pretty awesome coin for your first silver of the year! What a way to break the silver drought!
Major congrats to you!!
:icon_king: :icon_king:
CAPTN SE
Dan
Thanks Capt'n!

bigrig40 said:
very nice! congrats on the awesome silver! bigrig
I appreciate it Bigrig!! :wink:

allen said:
congrats on that sweet silver !!!!
Thanks Allen!

Brett said:
HUGE CONGRATS NEIL! That Barber Half is my favorite coin and what a great way to start out the year!! AND you got a Barber Dime too!!! Killer day man!
Thanks a bunch, Brett! Woulda been cool if you guys were out there. We'll all get together yet. :wink:

Butler

Feb 19, 2009
Northern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; X-1 Probe; Brain!
Kimsdad - YOU SCRATCHED IT! That's it hand it over! :) Nice day in your neck of the woods for MD'ing it looks like! Hope you have many more!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy smokes KD :o :thumbsup: , beautiful silver. Congrats on the Barbers . :icon_king:
-MM-

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the fantastic finds and always a great day to get out and detect with family or friends!

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Beautiful finds there Neil! :thumbsup:
It was nice seeing you guys again and glad your drought is finally over.
Next up.....Seated Liberty!
Mike

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG Neil. Now you can change your name back and remove the drought ;D Glad you are finally getting out. :thumbsup: Nice finds. Love the silver :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread