Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I am sure many of you have read from Halfdime's bottle posts, our search for the privy at the Dunn house ended on Thursday when Henry found one of hopefully many, and posted some awesome bottles. We hit it hard today, and we were able to come out with a few more keepers. The find of the day was a Carters Inkwell. It is in pristine condition, accept for the imperfection on the top. It didn't remember until I got home and started cleaning it, that last year I was able to track down a copy of Mr. Dunn's handwritten will. Could this have been the inkwell that he used to pen his will? These are the things that keep me interested in this hobby... the what ifs??!!!

Attachments

• DSCF3097.jpg
    DSCF3097.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 531
  • DSCF3098.jpg
    DSCF3098.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 528
  • DSCF3099.jpg
    DSCF3099.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 535
  • DSCF3100.jpg
    DSCF3100.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 528
  • DSCF3101.jpg
    DSCF3101.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 530
  • DSCF3103.jpg
    DSCF3103.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 535
Upvote 0
Very nice inkwell , I like the color and the thoughts that go with finding it ! :icon_thumleft:

Yep, the what ifs...What if I'd been paying better attention when I pulled the ink bottle out of the hole! That is a sweet find, and I'm glad I didn't nick it for ya; hopefully someone can put a date on that beauty. Maybe Mrs. Dunn found out that pouring ink on one's head would make her hair grow!

Gee, 140 views and only 2 replies. And I thought this was a pretty good find...

Thats a nice inkwell...LOVE the color. Congrats. :notworthy:

Kiros32 said:
Gee, 140 views and only 2 replies. And I thought this was a pretty good find...
Maybe if you showed them the wishbone! Those are great pictures of a very nice find!

As "whimsical and romantic" your theory is, its still a good ink and the color on it is nice. Would've been MUCH more rare if it had been an older one with that color, say an umbrella or igloo ink.. :icon_thumleft: 8) :wink:

What beautiful bottles! Good job on y'alls dig :icon_thumleft:, I've been reading about it this morning. You get caught up in wanting to know about thier lives huh? How did you find his will?

I Think that ink bottle is right around late 1800s early 1900s the reason I say that is from 1 of the pictures ,(Which are beautiful btw)If you look there are no seams on it . it was blown glass. The color is rare. or I should say it is a color in high demand in the bottle market . I found a bunch of them in my first year detecting and they were white . They were seamed and from about 1910-1920. 3to 4$ each . The top is bent off to one side on that bottle . The color and year could bring as much as 50$ to the right collector . the other in the pics could be wood molded bottlesthe rectangle white one . nice finds. :coffee2:UDer ROB

{Sentinel} said:
As "whimsical and romantic" your theory is, its still a good ink and the color on it is nice. Would've been MUCH more rare if it had been an older one, say an umbrella or igloo ink.. :icon_thumleft: 8) :wink:

Cute...

That's a really cool ink well. I like how you tie the history of the will in with the ink well. You never know, it just could have been used to sign the will, History is awesome.

Happy Hunting
Vin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back