THE END OF IT ALL*****

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I picture the last days of man coming to an end by some form of escaped germ
rather than by a nuclear hit. There seems to be a lot of emerging diseases these days. Here is the latest out break and it effects school age children only. 15% require intensive care treatment. Hay doctors chime in on your theories.
Frank...- five star.png

many are positive for the Enterovirus D68 (EV-D68), Missouri officials said.In addition to Missouri, suspected outbreaks have been recorded in Kansas, Illinois, Kentucky, Iowa, Colorado, Ohio, Oklahoma, North Carolina, and Georgia, Mark Pallansch, the director of the CDC's Division of Viral Diseases, told CNN
skull etc 013-1-platinum_edited-3.jpg

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard there are vacation camps for travelers near some of these locations? Kidding, maybe.

But it looks highly likely you are right, the population has been devastated many times in the past, before anyone knew how to engineer such things.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I can hear it now ---

Gooberment: "... well if they had taken their flu shots, they wouldn't be sick. They did take them? Well, then, they aren't really sick they're just having a mild reaction to the flu shot."

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The re-emergence of several of the "eradicated" diseases is very eloquent proof of evolution. Many of these diseases have become resistant to every known antibiotic due to overuse. Most human beings now have very little resistance to any kind of infection or disease due to running to the hospital for every sniffle, sneeze, or cough. So it is getting to the point of the common cold is going to get deadly.

Me, I don't go to the hospital unless something is broke or I need stitches. And the stitches are only if I get it sealed up with butterflies and dermabond. My kids don't go to the hospital very often either.

The flu here just gives us a bad case of the runs for a day or two. No flu shots here either.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree Frankn, hard to fight airborne disease.

One disaster that could happen any day, is wide spread power outages caused by large solar flares.

Experts have predicted possible nation wide power grid failures, with repairs taking years.

Surviving a month or two transition with out groceries, fuel, etc. could be too much for the average spoiled citizen.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
#1. Have any of you been watching http://www.thelastshiptnt.com/? Its excellent!

#2 I'm actually surprised that there is not a survival subforum here on Tnet. <insert elbow nudging and hinting here>

#3 And finally, for your apocalyptic viewing pleasure,

Last edited:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm with the non-flue shot thing also. And I don't take antibiotics either. Getting sick is "normal" and strengthens our own immune system. That's what I personally believe but I'm NOT a doctor. All the drugs mixed into animal feed and our food animals also add to abnormal drugs getting into our systems. All the chemicals put upon the ground for our crops and all the additives put into our shelf food I can't believe is good for you. I hate to see it but if you took all the trace elements of man-made drugs found in consumed animals, vegetables and all mass produced foods and put into a pill I bet it wouldn't pass FDA approval as a whole. But each one in itself is found "ok"... but what about a mixture?

Antibiotics I believe make us weaker if taken a lot. Just my thoughts. I believe Frankn could be very correct also.... Brad

jtomes

Greenie
Sep 1, 2014
Altamont,NY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hate to point this out but I to avoid doctors and needles also. However I have come to realize my generation and older will have a short and cancerous life ahead. We have become to foolish in almost everything we do now. Cancer has increased as smokers have decreased. Why? Simple the same pesticides are used on our food as tobacco. Small dose but still effective after decades of build up in our systems. Also the antibotics given to beef is still given to you at the table just smaller doses. Cooking likely helps but it doesnt break down genetic material well this then gets intergrated into the body quickly. So we are all still getting these wonderful things put into us. In short we are already dead only the unborn have a chance of living long and health lives. Cheers!:headbang:

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Hate to point this out but I to avoid doctors and needles also. However I have come to realize my generation and older will have a short and cancerous life ahead. We have become to foolish in almost everything we do now. Cancer has increased as smokers have decreased. Why? Simple the same pesticides are used on our food as tobacco. Small dose but still effective after decades of build up in our systems. Also the antibotics given to beef is still given to you at the table just smaller doses. Cooking likely helps but it doesnt break down genetic material well this then gets intergrated into the body quickly. So we are all still getting these wonderful things put into us. In short we are already dead only the unborn have a chance of living long and health lives. Cheers!:headbang:

And perhaps the old who only went to the doctor when they were really sick. Frank...- five star.png

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These last 2 or 3 years I've been to the doctors more than all the rest of my life. The COPD had to be treated, along with the other 'maladies'. I've been lucky though. I've never been in a hospital, never had a broken bone that I know of, had a 'pus-pocket' lanced that was under my are, all my teeth pulled, and my tonsils removed. If it wasn't for the COPD, I'd probably be doing as much now as I was doing 6 or 7 years ago. After almost dying because of the flu and pneumonia at the same time in December of 2012, I did take a flu shot last year and the pneumonia vaccine. No, I don't 'like' doctors. I only 'tolerate' them when necessary! lol

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
These last 2 or 3 years I've been to the doctors more than all the rest of my life. The COPD had to be treated, along with the other 'maladies'. I've been lucky though. I've never been in a hospital, never had a broken bone that I know of, had a 'pus-pocket' lanced that was under my are, all my teeth pulled, and my tonsils removed. If it wasn't for the COPD, I'd probably be doing as much now as I was doing 6 or 7 years ago. After almost dying because of the flu and pneumonia at the same time in December of 2012, I did take a flu shot last year and the pneumonia vaccine. No, I don't 'like' doctors. I only 'tolerate' them when necessary! lol

Had 3 disc operations last one about 25 years ago. My hearing and teeth have been loosing the battle to exist. Oh, I can hear, but I am so tone deaf that speech reception is a challenge. The teeth have mostly fallen out. Thinking about those bolt in or snap in plates, anyone got them? My one eye clouded up slowly and I just had the lens replaced. Have some sight in small area and doc said it will probably clear up. No broken bones, knock, knock. I can still drive and get out and hike a few miles or detect for 8 hours with no problem. Don't smoke or drink so that probably helped me get to 77 and still be mobile. It's either the emence amount of coffee I drink or I won on the genetic lottery. Frank...- five star.png
111-2 de Vinci.jpg

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You seem to being doing great, Frank. I've had dentures since February, 1979; haven't been to the dentist since September, 1979. I've been lucky with my dentures. I can walk, but need oxygen if I don't take it slow. I can get on the treadmill without oxygen if I walk at about 1 to 1.1 mile per hour. If I use oxygen, I can do 1.3 to sometimes 1.6 mph. I used to walk two miles; but the last year or so, I only do one mile. I'm certain I could do at least two miles; but just can't seem to force myself to do it. Just too lazy, I guess. I can go shopping and make every aisle in 2 or 3 stores without breathing problems if I go slow. If I try to hurry, I might as well give up and take a hit from my inhaler; then slow down. I'm 72.

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
O what the heck, let's pony up an answer for old time's sake. What say you Frankn?

When we are talking about disease you have to look at it in three different ways. 1. Bacteria. 2. Virus. 3. Cancer.

Let us go in reverse order and start with cancer. Most scientists believe in the two hit hypothesis. The first hit to the gene comes from bad genetics, the second hit comes from the environment (ie..sun or cigs, et al.) You can't do anything about genetics....you can't avoid the sun. So cancer can rise and fall based on what man does. Great scenario for this is the tremendous increase in thyroid cancer after the US dropped bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Can we avoid cancer? No, absolutely not! It will happen no matter what we do. Can we increase its rise and fall? Yes, absolutely. Will it be the death of man? No. Most cancers onset after reproduction has occurred. In order to wipe out mankind it would have to occur before reproduction. Next...

2. Virus: This is a good one, it really is. Totally possible that some new virus could develop at any point in time that would wipe out 90% of humanity. It has happened in the not so past 5000 years. Is there anything we can do to prevent it? Nope, not a darn thing. Virus mutate every 72 hours. That is why the flu vaccine is a good guess at best. However, there are a million virus in these world and most of them are not lethal. Every time you get a common cold it is a virus. Antibiotics do no good. Is it possible virus could wipe out humanity? Nope! There will always be 10% of humans whose genes will adapt and evolve. However, virus could put a serious beating on the population.

3. Bacteria: Now we rolling, this is what we are talking about. The plague was a bacteria that knocked out 80% of the earth's population. Only the very strong survived and passed on superior genes that we all possess now. Do bacteria evolve to antibiotic usage? Yes, absolutely. However, man has been creating new antibiotics faster then it can evolve.

We have to look back to number two here. Even if a bacteria were to wipe out 99% of humanity we still got a sip ton of humans running around to pass on superior genes. We will never succumb to these lesser organisms. Mankind is here to stay until we destroy ourselves with man made devices.

God bless,
Crispin,
PS. If anybody has seen WorldTalker I owe him another thanks. Tell him to PM his phone number if he is willing.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with crispin about the resilience of the human population, however, a new strain of illness without new treatment could devastate humanity. If it only took out the part of humanity that understood what our civilization required to work it could be catastrophic! Many civilizations rose and fell that were quite advanced but the population as a whole had basic survival skills to get by. What would happen now?

I have heard that some viruses and perhaps bacteria can cause sterility and/or cancer. A last generation? I have known a few people in the past that had a job that included recombinant DNA structuring. Seems like a bad idea to me, the power to do it doesn't make it right.

And the ability to make Hybrid vegetables that do not reproduce, and even sterilize neighboring heirloom crops seems like a step in the wrong direction too. This topic seems so very large, how can it be answered simply?

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Thank you Crispin. Always good to hear from the man in the field. Frank hand print-2_edited-6.jpg

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with crispin about the resilience of the human population, however, a new strain of illness without new treatment could devastate humanity. If it only took out the part of humanity that understood what our civilization required to work it could be catastrophic! Many civilizations rose and fell that were quite advanced but the population as a whole had basic survival skills to get by. What would happen now?

I have heard that some viruses and perhaps bacteria can cause sterility and/or cancer. A last generation? I have known a few people in the past that had a job that included recombinant DNA structuring. Seems like a bad idea to me, the power to do it doesn't make it right.

And the ability to make Hybrid vegetables that do not reproduce, and even sterilize neighboring heirloom crops seems like a step in the wrong direction too. This topic seems so very large, how can it be answered simply?

Dave,

You raise some very good points. All of which cannot be refuted and are legitimately possible. Coincidentally, we agree on the most important principle...mankind will survive. What form and what civilization that will survive is up to debate; however, we will survive. They burned the libraries of Alexandria when Rome fell. They destroyed the Temple of Artemis for battle glory, the Colossus of Rhodes was taken by an earthquake, the great Wall of China is broken, the Pharos of Alexandria are demolished. Yet, the Great pyramids still exist. Some of our wonders of the ancient world endure. Something of mankind will survive, something of mankind will endure.

I pray that we don't end up in a "Brave New World" or "1984" society; but, I can't predict the future. If WWIII hits my current plan of survival is take my family on GIB's boat, stop by long enough to pick up Treasure Hunter and sail off into the sunset. When the radiation dissipates we will have a strong knowledge base for survival. Whispers in the dark...whispers in the dark...

Crispin

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave,

You raise some very good points. All of which cannot be refuted and are legitimately possible. Coincidentally, we agree on the most important principle...mankind will survive. What form and what civilization that will survive is up to debate; however, we will survive. They burned the libraries of Alexandria when Rome fell. They destroyed the Temple of Artemis for battle glory, the Colossus of Rhodes was taken by an earthquake, the great Wall of China is broken, the Pharos of Alexandria are demolished. Yet, the Great pyramids still exist. Some of our wonders of the ancient world endure. Something of mankind will survive, something of mankind will endure.

I pray that we don't end up in a "Brave New World" or "1984" society; but, I can't predict the future. If WWIII hits my current plan of survival is take my family on GIB's boat, stop by long enough to pick up Treasure Hunter and sail off into the sunset. When the radiation dissipates we will have a strong knowledge base for survival. Whispers in the dark...whispers in the dark...

Crispin

I agree. If 10 % survived it would be a start over. Hopefully the best part of humanity is the winner. A planet killer would assure total destruction, an asteroid of the right size.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread