The Farm

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
I cut grass all day...took this pic between using the mower and weedwhacker.

It's a Sears Craftsman house, built in 1936. Grandpa bought the plans and all the woodworking machines from Sears, cut the timber off the land, sawed and planed every board.

I find something every time I use my MD, and I've only scratched the surface. Need an MD that's better and goes deeper.

MVC-380F.jpg

dakotama95

Feb 26, 2007
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, White's DFX
What a nice looking house after all these years. I hope you are able to keep it in the family and pass along the history with it.

OP
OP
Excavator

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Thanks everyone! Been quite busy and now too exhausted to make a proper reply to you all. I hope to finish the current large project and enjoy the place MD'ing this summer. (you should see all the old sites I have lined up!)

Grandad did build it in stages, but it is actually quite rambling in size, the trees make it harder to capture now. 4 bedrooms, 9 beds, 11 if you count the couch bed and another couch. Living room, dining room, sunroom, kitchen, and utility. Three porches and one small balcony.

Here's a pic of the west side, note the new electric service (another week's Gulag). The WV sunflower will be history as soon as I can yank it out, bashed my knee as I went by on the tractor. (had to ride in circles because it was my brake knee) The garden went in late this year, we'll see.

Having trouble pinning down the name of the plans he bought, as some builders name their various plans, Sears did too. It's even got lightning rods and a weather vane. :)

MVC-382F.jpg

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Incredible home! I would love to have one just like it. The history of your grandfather building it makes it all the more special! Thanks for sharing with us!

OP
OP
Excavator

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
I'm happy you all liked the pics. It's been a lot of hard work. Got it done just in time for Memorial Day, an Uncle (WWII Vet) with terminal cancer, made the trip home for possibly the last time. He was stunned at the work we got done, and I think happy too.

There are a lot of magical places around there (for me). I like hiking around the sandstone cliffs and outcroppings.

Had the MD every time, but no time and energy together to use it. :(

OP
OP
Excavator

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
When I get to the good stuff, I'll make a post. I did post in whatsit about the two foil halves of a 1930s "Fun-Pack"...condom wrapper. Found a '45 nickel, a Canadian Centennial penny (1867-1967 in bronze), axe head, harness ring, Mountaineer pop bottle, the crank off Grandad's tape measure...and two old gas lines :P. Those were just quick scans, maybe a half hour total.

The whole place has been a time capsule for me, I find things I had 40 years ago, but alas, some mementos of my Grandparents have been looted. Still have the place though. The old Beckwith player piano is gone, but I found the player mechanism in the attic, along with some player rolls for it. Dunno what I'm going to do with that. ???

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
It's amazing how folks depended on catalogues back in 19 and ought....

There are two Sears Catalogue homes about a block from me; pretty sure they came as kits as they are very similar.

Bet your Grandpa was really proud of his accomplishment!

OP
OP
Excavator

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Grandad took great pride in his home, always made sure thing were done right, and passed that to us all.

I found a website with a list and pics of Craftsman homes, but I can't find this one, or what the name is.

Bet there's an old Sears catalog in the outhouse, found one in the bookcase. The barn had every woodworking machine Sears ever sold.

Gotta go, hope to finish a plumbing gulag tomorrow.

Wasn't it Bob Seger that sang..."All I need are a couple days off!"

OP
OP
Excavator

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
A bit of rain, 3" in 24hrs, on Wednesday, electric was back on Thurs. night. Still plumbing. Drove as fast as could thinking I would drive out of the storm, 30-45 mph, it stayed right with me for 40 miles. We didn't get much work done.

This is high water, but I've seen it across the road and up on the other bank, more than once.

Attachments

• MVC-448F.JPG
    MVC-448F.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 535
  • MVC-449F.JPG
    MVC-449F.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 530
OP
OP
Excavator

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
I was standing beside the mailbox when I took the last two pics. But the house is on higher ground, above the road. There are two runs on the east and west too:

MVC-450F.jpg

Blythe_Spirit_50

Apr 22, 2008
Kentucky
We have several Sears houses here in our town. Such a neat concept, ordering a house from a catalog. I lived in West Virginia for 4 years, such a beautiful place.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread