The Fever

Minnie

Dec 30, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
After many years of wanting a better detector than the toy one I got as a kid, then finding this site which helped me figure out how to maybe actually use one I finally decided to get an ACE 250.
My first dig was Easter Morning in my parent’s back yard. I found a good sounding ding and with my handy garden trowel started digging on my parent’s manicured lawn. After a while and 2 big holes I kept seeing all these shiny objects in the hole that made my heart jump that all turned out to be worms. I found ½ a brick and a nail. I figured I should quit before Dad saw the mess I made.
2nd dig.. In my own back yard. I got 2 feet off the driveway cement and the thing dinged and beeped like crazy every where. Not knowing exactly where to start at I tried to narrow it to one place. Ok so the hole was only 6”deep x 6”around at this point when I find my first real object. A pull tab! I was so excited! The thing actually worked! Scanned the hole again and of course it’s still dinging - it’s dinging everywhere. Enlarging the hole I found a nail. The hole is still dinging so I dig deeper. Then in the hole I see it. IT’S A COIN!! 1973 nickel 6” down. I did the “I found my first coin dance” and I'm on the hunt now and the hole is still dinging. I have it now,,, digging Fever.
By now the dirt is in a pile and getting bigger. I scan the pile and of course it dings. The hole dings - the pile dings and everywhere around it dings. I got a problem here. I went and got my kids saucer sled and put the dirt pile on the sled to sift thru it and drag it to a place where the ground isn’t dinging under it. Then sifting I saw gold … found the top of a kid’s bubble gum ring. Whooo Hooo its almost real jewelry!! And then my first bottle cap.
When the digging fever subsided I stood there and was Stunned at how completely the Fever took over. I was standing over a huge 12-14”diameter hole almost a foot deep with dirt everywhere all at where I had been trying to grow grass for years. That’s when I decided that until I get the hang of this thing and I if I am going to end up roto tilling the yard with a trowel I will be detecting in the garden.
My haul in order of appearance.. a pull tab, a short nail, A NICKLE!!!, top of a kids bubble gum ring, a bottle cap, another pull tab, a petrified plastic colorforms Bozo head, a long nail, and I think the cause of all the dinging... a 6” piece of sheet metal.

~~~
Minnie

Upvote 0

Abbey

Aug 15, 2006
Eastern Shore, MD
Detector(s) used
Discovery200
Minnie! ;D OMG! That was hysterical! I'm real new here too- and new to MDing. I live in an old house (110 yrs) and the place was apparently an engine/machine shop- EVERYTHING dings! I was convinced at one point that the iron level in the SOIL was making the ding... square nails, wrenches, strap hinges. Oh- my fingers are so SORE! (even w/ leather gloves, it doesn't really matter ::)). I fingured w/ the number of holes I'm digging, I should be rid of all my wire grass soon (been trying for years, and that stuff just doesn't die- it grows on concrete I think! :-\). The groundhogs are PERPLEXED! And my cats just think the whole darn place is a new litterbox- and "Mommy's" the one digging it!! My (a.h.) neighbor laughed at me until he heard I found a Spanish reale :o(can't tell what denomination). He's not laughing any more! I have a cheap Radio Shack detector, and I lost the user handbook (big oops), but have figured out how to 'zap' certain things- like iron, for instance, so I can kinda peal away at the yard w/o going nuts. At the same time, on another post a guy found gold coins which read as iron on his detector. A really good detector too. So....ya jaust never know, huh? Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful story! Keep em coming- and happy hunting!! ;)
Ab

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Hi Minnie,

Good find and story. As I read it, I thought it was going to end up with you getting a backhoe to dig all the "Dings." It is tempting sometimes. That's when you know you need help though. Help with sifting the dirt from the backhoe. Like they say, there is no treatment or help for MD fever.

Congrats.

Daryl

OP
OP
M

Minnie

Dec 30, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Thanks for the warm welcome everybody.
My next door neighbor stopped me yesterday and asked me why I was digging to China the other day. Anyone ever hear that before? ::)
Its starting to get warmer here now and everyone is comming out of hibernation. And I seem to be entertainment of the block already. (or mabye I should say again) ;D
He had already told the guy across the street I was digging a humungus hole in my yard. Turns out they both have done some metal detecting before.
Its sunny today and I will try to get out again this afternoon. In the garden this time. This is going to be fun.

~~~
Minnie

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minnie said:
He had already told the guy across the street I was digging a humungus hole in my yard.
~~~
Minnie
Great story Minni...and I still get quivers down my spine when the detector goes off.....and by the way..won't be long till you find those Chinese coins...lol Have fun.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread