Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I spent 3 hours at a site that has given me some great coins - 1675 Two Reale Cob, 1884 V Nickel, 1891-S Seated Dime, 1785 Nova Contellatio, 1794 Liberty Cap Large Cent, and a King George II (in that order). There are two problems with this place though. It is littered with large caliber pistol shell casings and slugs, and it only allows me one good coin per visit :laughing7:
Last time there I dug a KG 2 on the first hole, then only a button in the remaining 3 hours. Yesterday, I decided to use the Equinox 600 and cherry pick the high tones (the shell casings give a lower tone). First signal I dug was this beautiful 1838 Large Cent. Then nothing of note for the next three hours :BangHead:
I still have some minor touch up to finish cleaning the Large Cent.

LC Dirt 1.jpg

LC Dirt 2.jpg

LC Front 2.jpg

LC Back 2.jpg

Upvote 44

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a great looking Large Cent !

I feel your pain Steve - yesterday I went on a 2.5 hr. hunt.
I was only there for 10 minutes and the first coin I dug was a 1864 Indian Cent ... OK, lets Rock & Roll !
Nope ... the next 2 hrs. plus I only found a 1920 Wheat and six clad coins ... oh well.

Good Hunting !

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great looking Large Cent !

I feel your pain Steve - yesterday I went on a 2.5 hr. hunt.
I was only there for 10 minutes and the first coin I dug was a 1864 Indian Cent ... OK, lets Rock & Roll !
Nope ... the next 2 hrs. plus I only found a 1920 Wheat and six clad coins ... oh well.

Good Hunting !
That's what I was thinking after I dug the LC - This switch to the Equinox is gonna be great, we're in the money now....Nope!

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate it when that happens.
That is an incredible find however, the likes of which I'll probably never get to experience, congrats!
Thanks!
I would think there might still be a couple Large Cents lurking from the early mining days?

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks!
I would think there might still be a couple Large Cents lurking from the early mining days?
I sure hope so, I have yet to break into the 1800s still, my oldest coin being a 1901 nickel.

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That LC is a beauty. I might be an outlier, but if I am going to find anything good, I would rather have it be on the first hole, as it takes the pressure off. Alternatively, you might be swinging a couple hours not knowing if you were going to get skunked or not. By the way, that large cent is in great shape. Congrats.

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yesterday I spent 3 hours at a site that has given me some great coins - 1675 Two Reale Cob, 1884 V Nickel, 1891-S Seated Dime, 1785 Nova Contellatio, 1794 Liberty Cap Large Cent, and a King George II (in that order). There are two problems with this place though. It is littered with large caliber pistol shell casings and slugs, and it only allows me one good coin per visit :laughing7:
Last time there I dug a KG 2 on the first hole, then only a button in the remaining 3 hours. Yesterday, I decided to use the Equinox 600 and cherry pick the high tones (the shell casings give a lower tone). First signal I dug was this beautiful 1838 Large Cent. Then nothing of note for the next three hours :BangHead:

View attachment 2072097
View attachment 2072098

View attachment 2072099
View attachment 2072100
The first hole curse is a strange one. You may want to just pick up your coin and go home. It's like wait a minute, I was here before. I lost a coin here about 200 year ago!!! By the way nice find

DIG5050

Apr 15, 2021
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Deus II 9”
Garrett Apex
Fisher 1236-X2
Fisher CZ20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That LC is a real beauty. I especially like the green patina. There is just something about the green patina that forms on those and IHPs that is appealing to the eye. I should be so cursed. HH

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That LC is a beauty. I might be an outlier, but if I am going to find anything good, I would rather have it be on the first hole, as it takes the pressure off. Alternatively, you might be swinging a couple hours not knowing if you were going to get skunked or not. By the way, that large cent is in great shape. Congrats.
I agree with you. Getting something good early in the hunt takes the pressure off. I can be pretty stubborn, keep pushing it, and stay longer than I planned to if I haven't found anything :laughing7:

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with you. Getting something good early in the hunt takes the pressure off. I can be pretty stubborn, keep pushing it, and stay longer than I planned to if I haven't found anything :laughing7:
Me too. Of course, that’s usually when you find something on the way back to the car 😁. .

mddavis3

May 13, 2019
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 2072097
View attachment 2072098

View attachment 2072099
View attachment 2072100
Awesome coin!

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 2072097
View attachment 2072098

View attachment 2072099
View attachment 2072100
Great looking Largie! Congrats

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread