The first of this type I've found..Dalton?

sweetmimzim3

May 16, 2011
Webster Co. Missouri
I found this in the field the farmer cleared with a dozer. It is the first of this type I've found in this area. I search my neighbors fields here in Webster County Missouri near Laclede County. Can someone please identify this point for me, Thank you. In my image search Dalton was the only similar point I could find that resembles this point.
20170304_061039.jpg

20170304_061024.jpg

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I can see, yes a Dalton. Very nice point.

OP
OP
S

sweetmimzim3

May 16, 2011
Webster Co. Missouri
I almost didn't find it. It was buried straight up and down with just a very small part of the tip showing. For some reason I decided to pull it up, and walla. I was very excited when I saw it!

mogi

Nov 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Way cool, i hunt there all the time. I have found some incredible artifacts. Def, a Dalton! Good job!

OP
OP
S

sweetmimzim3

May 16, 2011
Webster Co. Missouri
Thank you. I have been searching these fields the past 6 years. I am still very much a novice hunter. I have alot to learn.
Here is a piece I found 10 yards from the Dalton. Is it possible to get some input on what it could be? The two breaks seem to be old. Thank you
20170304_094309.jpg
20170304_094319.jpg
20170304_094342.jpg

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a great find and a transitional Paleo point! Also, there's no telling what the broken piece is but it's pretty. I would say you probably will find artifacts from all the time periods. That's how it rolls with my creek and I mostly find Archaic time period artifacts.

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
It's a great find and a transitional Paleo point! Also, there's no telling what the broken piece is but it's pretty. I would say you probably will find artifacts from all the time periods. That's how it rolls with my creek and I mostly find Archaic time period artifacts.

Nice dalton point. There's nothing transitional about Dalton points though, they are Early Archaic.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay everybody, the Paleo period has expired having now reached the end date of the transitional grace period! We have now entered the Early Archaic period and the manufacture of Clovis, Simpson, Cowhouse Slough, Suwannee points or anything of the like is now banned. Any points of these types must be discarded immediately or fines will be levied. You will soon be receiving instructions regarding the manufacture of the new Dalton point. Adherence to these guidelines is mandatory. Blah, blah, blah...

mogi

Nov 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I hunted around there yesterday. Brand new fields. Some of the most beautiful translucent Mozarkite that I have ever found.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Nice Dalton. Matt is right, as usual, they aren't really considered late paleo anymore (they were considered to be paleonfor a long time.) But Bruce Bradley and other archaeologists frequently use the term Dalton Period for the 600 year or so window when these points were made.

They probably lived a paleo lifestyle, seasonally nomadic, no village structure known, etc. but by date it was the early archaic. The landscape where they lived was drier than before and they probably hunted smaller animals. They had also developed a bit more of a ceremonial cult and had burial grounds that they presumably returned to periodically.

Very nice find! May I ask why your nails are so long? o.0

The females of our species frequently do that.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow,you got two of the best replying to your post,great job girl

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations! Very nice Dalton and I love the color of the broken piece. Do you have an idea on what material it is?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions