Central Florida
OP
OP
jnkhntr

jnkhntr

Feb 6, 2009
Central Florida
The garage sale phrase that has never failed me. "What if I buy them all?"
Time after time this has been a great strategy. Hundreds of wine corks, hundreds of Nascar decals, about a thousand police, fire, military and sports shoulder patches. When I ask this question I usually getting an amazingly low price.
In other words don't just buy a hand full. when opportunity comes your way, take the leap buy them all!

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In other words don't just buy a hand full. when opportunity comes your way, take the leap buy them all!

I'll definitely have to try this out. I've asked before questions like, "if I buy 10, can I get one free?" or "can you do x amount a piece, since I've got this many?" I've also made direct offers on groups of items that would give me a small discount, but still be within the ballpark of their asking price.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
All the time. I Like automotive tools. I'm retired now from the automotive trade and I have enough stuff to put 5 guys to work.. If there is a toolbox with a few things in it I like I will often ask how much for the whole box. lol

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
This is particularly true if you don't know the value of individual pieces. There may be a few items in a large lot that are worth the purchase price all by themselves. I have had this experience several times.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I do this whenever I can with awesome results. I have found most sellers are overjoyed to get rid of as much stuff as they can.

sent from a potato...

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is a tip to make this strategy successful:

When you want to "buy it all", have a price in your mind that you want to pay. Ask how much for everything, first. Then, let's say you want to pay $30 and they say $50. I throw out $30. Usually they will come down but sometimes not to your $30. Here is what you do: Ask them what the hang up is. Ask them to identify 1 or 2 pieces that they place a higher value on than the rest of the lot. Ask if you can remove those 1-2 items from the deal if they will accept your $30 offer. 9 times out of 10 this strategy works. I have found that usually the 1-2 items you remove are negligible in value. Good luck.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Works great with jewelry boxes! I've paid up to $60 for them, but usually it's under $10. Fishing lures, just about anything that there is several of. Best was a box full of Flea and tick repellent for dogs, They sell at Petco for $40 a box I was able to buy a box of 150 of them for 40 bucks! Then sold them off two for $45/ free ship. Those were great! I always try to buy them all!

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
The only "down side" (if you can call it that) is it can sometimes be rather time-consuming to find the valuable needle in a haystack of otherwise low-value stuff. However time-consuming that exercise may be, I have also found the process to be a good education.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do this with jewelry with amazing success.

worked for me last saturday. Small ziplock baggy half full of costume jewelry. But what did my good eye spy? A thin gold looking ring mixed it. Asked how much for all? $1.00 ! sold

got home and checked yest 14K ring and things I didn't spot looking through baggy with loupe. (10K bracelet ans several small 925) total value $150 +/-

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last time I did it, I bought a few dozen Hard Rock Cafe pins. Got them for $10. I can get more than that for 1 of them.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes when I get to some of these sales later in the day, and it has been picked over, and I know that it is the last day of the sale...I have asked.."how much for EVERYTHING?"...more often than not, they quote a price we can bicker over, or they will ask me to make an offer..I explain to them that it has been picked over and that I can save them the headache of packing up, putting away..etc..Now granted, pennies on the dollar is all I'm paying, so if they don't take my offer nobody's feelings are hurt. But be prepared to make a stop by the Goodwill to throw those old clothes away, there's a reason they haven't sold at the last ten yard sales. AND...another small hint..ask them if they have any other items in the garage that didn't make it outside (too heavy, etc.)..and you might find more hidden gold. Win/win situation !! thx ddf

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Sometimes when I get to some of these sales later in the day, and it has been picked over, and I know that it is the last day of the sale...I have asked.."how much for EVERYTHING?"...more often than not, they quote a price we can bicker over, or they will ask me to make an offer..I explain to them that it has been picked over and that I can save them the headache of packing up, putting away..etc..Now granted, pennies on the dollar is all I'm paying, so if they don't take my offer nobody's feelings are hurt. But be prepared to make a stop by the Goodwill to throw those old clothes away, there's a reason they haven't sold at the last ten yard sales. AND...another small hint..ask them if they have any other items in the garage that didn't make it outside (too heavy, etc.)..and you might find more hidden gold. Win/win situation !! thx ddf

What do you do with all that chaff? Where do you store it all?

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
who the hell buys wine corks? are you nuts?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread