The Gilded Couple (The Gilded Lens) - A golden journey.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, not the mossy/lichen stuff in the right. That's on everything. The more minty green section on the upper left of the pic is what looks like the clay material to me. It's hard to see in the image, but it's different. One's plant material and the other is part of the rock.

Even if the rock has some minty green compound in it, it is without a doubt, not the source of the blue clay! One, it is minty green and two it is not the primary compound of the rock which appears to be white or whitish in color. I really can't tell from the pic but it looks like part of the rock is Quartz or possibly a type of Feldspar but probably both.

Frank

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Too bad your written words don't indicate your dialect like a spoken word would. Me thinks you're a former East Coaster due to the references to 'Brooks'.
Former East Coaster myself and had to add the word 'crick' to my vocabulary years ago.
:hello:

Some parts of the country, you would need "branch" to go with crick, brook, and stream. Then "run" (we have a Gold Run here in Colorado). :)

OP
OP
The Gilded Lens

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 14" Pan, Garrett 15" Super Sluice Pan, Bazooka 36" Sniper,
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cracked open my rock and took a peeksy inside. Probably leave-er-ite but even so, it's pretty. Interested in discovering what minerals are in their. Looks like the green epidote, but other than that I'm stumped. It's non-magnetic.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

OP
OP
The Gilded Lens

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wasn't able to pick up our Sniper last weekend. Mr. Gilded has been really sick this last week and is still recovering. This weekend it is!!! YAY!

OP
OP
The Gilded Lens

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Met up with Todd today and picked up our Bazooka! Great guy! Also ran into Goldwasher while we were down there.

KevinInColorodo, Todd says "hi" back. :)

Couldn't get Zooka dirty today but we've got her now. Last Valentines Day Mr. Gilded got me earrings and flowers. This year I got the 36" Sniper. Yay!!!!

Also got a new snifter bottle. It's like twice the size I thought it would be. Great for sniping and I love the lanyard. Also gives Koodie Shots.

Attachments

• image-1463737895.jpg
    image-1463737895.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
OP
OP
The Gilded Lens

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Hubs and I have been sick for almost two weeks. No sluicing yet :( We are getting better ( I think) and itching to take out Zooka. Think our planned spot may have snow, or in the least a very muddy 4x4 road. Sigh.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor and Galice Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Hubs and I have been sick for almost two weeks. No sluicing yet :( We are getting better ( I think) and itching to take out Zooka. Think our planned spot may have snow, or in the least a very muddy 4x4 road. Sigh.
I hope you all feel better!:icon_thumright:
Muddy 4x4 road... my paradise!:laughing7:

OP
OP
The Gilded Lens

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks! I normally love 4x4ing, but out F150 diesel is sadly two wheel drive.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good health, good weather and good gold are all just around the corner.

OP
OP
The Gilded Lens

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, we finally got to take Zooka out!! It was a beautiful day, not to cold, not to hot. Water was really cold though (although I can't complain compared to you guys in places like Colorado and the entire East Coast right now!). I'll post some pics soon. We had a lot of fun. So far we are LOVING the Sniper. Didn't find any nugs, but we did get some gold.

OP
OP
The Gilded Lens

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok here's our take. It's not much, but it's something and we had fun finding it. Stupid mercury gold spec got too friendly with the other gold in Mr. Gilded's snifter bottle and gobbled them all up. :( So total take is the clean gold in the pan + the mercury gold in the vial.

Attachments

• image-1030809863.jpg
    image-1030809863.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 566
  • image-1168269360.jpg
    image-1168269360.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like you all got it dialed in, ya got the small stuff too! Nicely done. How soon before you get the Bazooka Miner? It's inevitable now, your hooked!

OP
OP
The Gilded Lens

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like you all got it dialed in, ya got the small stuff too! Nicely done. How soon before you get the Bazooka Miner? It's inevitable now, your hooked!

LOL! I don't know if I can handle the miner, that's a lot of sluice. We may have to get another Sniper though, as Mr. Gilded and I wanted to dig in two different places for awhile. He lucked out because there wasn't a good spot to put the sluice near my hole so he got the sluice and I had to carry buckets of pay dirt.

I do plan on getting the little mini for backpacking, as it would be way better than just panning.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Save your money for the prospector and buy a Le trap for backpacking.

Last edited:
OP
OP
The Gilded Lens

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here she is in action:

zooka.jpg
Zooka2tnet.jpg

My spot:
Moved a few large suspended rocks (not pictured 'cuz it slid in the creek) and dug the gravel in-between the two boulders I couldn't move down to some bedrock.
my hole.jpg

Mr. Gilded's spot:
Gravels on top with red and blue clays on top of bedrock with tree roots.
Joe's hole.jpg

OP
OP
The Gilded Lens

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Save your money for the prospector and buy a Le trap for backpacking.

Why the le trap over the mini? Don't you have to classify with that one?

...wow the le trap is 48" long. That's too bulky for backpacking. We go for a week, I'd want to bury that thing by day two if it didn't fall off of my pack.

Last edited:

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry - do as I mean not as I say, lol! Adventurer Sluice - Angus MacKirk This is what I was thinking of, my bad. As much as I love my Bazookas I think for backpacking where you may encounter really really slow or really really fast water these will always work. I always have at least a #2 or #4 classifier with me, it fits to the pan I take so I don't even know its there. The Mackirk and a classifier weigh about the same maybe a tad more then a mini but then again more options to work with. For $45 bucks can't beat it, gets you a good second or back up sluice now and allows you to save for a bigger bazooka like the long Prospector as ya go. It's marital bliss all around! Don't know what your using for buckets while back packing but look into those nylon shopping bags there trying to force us into buying like the Chico bag. They are very strong and take no space or weight backpacking. Classify into your gold pan then dump the pan into the bag.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry - do as I mean not as I say, lol! Adventurer Sluice - Angus MacKirk This is what I was thinking of, my bad. As much as I love my Bazookas I think for backpacking where you may encounter really really slow or really really fast water these will always work. I always have at least a #2 or #4 classifier with me, it fits to the pan I take so I don't even know its there. The Mackirk and a classifier weigh about the same maybe a tad more then a mini but then again more options to work with. For $45 bucks can't beat it, gets you a good second or back up sluice now and allows you to save for a bigger bazooka like the long Prospector as ya go. It's marital bliss all around! Don't know what your using for buckets while back packing but look into those nylon shopping bags there trying to force us into buying like the Chico bag. They are very strong and take no space or weight backpacking. Classify into your gold pan then dump the pan into the bag.

That's an idea--nylon bags. I already use the plastic ones, but they don't last very long before they tear; even with just books in them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread