Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took today off to hang out with the godfather of treasure, Martin meylach. It was a great day of treasure tales and diving stories. We fondled every artifact and treasure I ever dug and swapped tales of fabulous finds and broken dreams. Im glad I got to share the things ive found and show them off to a living legend. For all those who dont know the name, he is a treasure hunting pioneer and legand in the early days of florida keys treasure salvage. He located and salvaged many of the 1733 fleet galleons. He dug the motherlode off the el rubi or capitana and made strikes on many of the other 1733 galleons. He went on to salvage other wrecks in other contries and has led a swashbuckling and adventurous life of the first order of magnitude. He is also an author and a scholar and wrote the book "Diving to a flash of gold". If you haven't read this book go to amazon and get a copy while there are still a few left. They are starting to get scarce. It is a must read for all treasure hunters and a wealth of information. A definite must for the library of anyone intrested in spanish treasure. It fits right in between potter and marx. Next I get to go fondle his gold !!! Ill see him for lunch next week, and I already have a hundred more questions to ask. He might be the real most interesting man alive. Here some pics of him holding my 1733 pillar dollar.thought he might slip it in his pocket.!! Just kidding hes a true gentleman and a man of honor photo-244.JPG
View attachment 1387123
View attachment 1387122
Great day!!! Cant wait to do it again.!!!

Attachments

• photo-246.JPG
    photo-246.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 76
  • photo-245.JPG
    photo-245.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cant straighten these photos out sorry!!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like both of you enjoyed your time together. It's not often you get to visit with one of our idols. Bet it would have been a cool podcast.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like both of you enjoyed your time together. It's not often you get to visit with one of our idols. Bet it would have been a cool podcast.

It was such an honor to have him to my house and to here the stories first hand . I have been talking with him on the phone and through a mutal friend but this was the first time we got to sit down together. He is a wealth of knowledge and I will be able to put a couple more Xs on my map for sure. We are definitely both entwined with the ocean and cut of the same mold. Great when you can meet your heros. They soon become your teachers and mentors.!!!

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll check out the book.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
You did not have him sign your Excalibur?

No? Your irreverence to the Universal Fan Club Code of Conduct is on full display. Toss him in the brig, men! :piratehand::icon_pirat: :laughing7:

Sounds like a lot of fun. I'd like to have been present just to sit somewhere in the room to hear the stories. Pretty cool for you. Congratulations. :thumb_up:

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did not have him sign your Excalibur?

No? Your irreverence to the Universal Fan Club Code of Conduct is on full display. Toss him in the brig, men! :piratehand::icon_pirat: :laughing7:

Sounds like a lot of fun. I'd like to have been present just to sit somewhere in the room to hear the stories. Pretty cool for you. Congratulations. :thumb_up:

No, but he did autograph his book, wich makes it a treasue in its own right. Man the stories of his times in equador were incredible !!! S C shooter you'll love the book. Plus it comes with a treasure map. !!! Ive been to a few of the spots on the map and its no bull !!

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Blak bart: When you wrote Capt. Meylach's book is becoming scarce, are you referring to the hardcover (first) edition? The prices of those have gone up and down quite a bit over the past several years. It looks like the trade paperback reprint from Florida Classics Library is still in print.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blak bart: When you wrote Capt. Meylach's book is becoming scarce, are you referring to the hardcover (first) edition? The prices of those have gone up and down quite a bit over the past several years. It looks like the trade paperback reprint from Florida Classics Library is still in print.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Yes thats right bookaroo. It wasnt easy finding an excellent condition hardback edition that still had the map included. Actually it wasnt that hard but they seem to be getting a little harder to get a hold of in great condition. Mine came from a library in indiana it had only been checked out 7 times. Marty was amazed that it had come from indiana !!!! It now has his autograph in it so I will be looking for a paper back version to actually use and read. Thanks for the info. Please check out my thread " your favorite treasure books post them up" we would love to have your expertise and opinions !!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread