The Gold, Silver and Bling of Playgrounds

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Everyone,

The series of photos depict hunting playgrounds from June 26th – Today: August 28th. During this time I tried a fun experiment. The goal was to hunt only 6 very well used playground areas in affluent communities (some of these playgrounds have 15 rides and over 50 people at peak times) where the kid’s rides are located and had only fine mulch or coarse wood chips as their base. I wanted to see how many things I could find without digging in the grassy areas, but rather hunts based solely on recent or very fresh drops (a few were found a bit deeper). I visited each playground on Monday morning (start time 4:45 am) after the full weekend of children playing and teenagers hanging out. I took about five hours to complete the detecting and travelling per week. The rest of the metal detecting week was dedicated to old coin shooting, relic hunting and researching new places.

In the photos, only jewelry is shown, but rest assured the clad count was extremely high; about $83.00 dollars. During this time I found eight dollar coins around this one ride; a 6 seated spinning horizontal wheel. The trash decreased exponentially as the weeks moved on, since each visit I would remove more and more. By the last few weeks only good targets were found.

The jewelry was mixed with about 95% Bling and 5% Gold and Silver; I’m pleased with the experiment outcome.

Alas, as school opens my experiment has come to an end…cannot wait for next year.

Thank you for viewing.

GL & HH

Doc

play 3.jpg play 1.jpg play 2.jpg play 4.jpg

play 5.jpg play 6.jpg

Upvote 43

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes Mzjavert, those new rubber play areas are cutting into my good find count! :BangHead:

OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello mk4125,

I am always trying to reduce randomness :dontknow: (it's the Physicist in me...Lol) from metal detecting and increase the chances of good finds! :icon_thumright:

Doc

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello mk4125,

I am always trying to reduce randomness :dontknow: (it's the Physicist in me...Lol) from metal detecting and increase the chances of good finds! :icon_thumright:

Doc

That's kind of funny. I'm always trying to add randomness to my walks. Maybe it's the system's analyst in me. :tongue3:

I always figure that I'll just try to stay out of the way and let the one who *KNOWS* where everything is, lead me. :angel2:

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tot lots ain't just for tots. Parents and Grandparents get jiggy with it and play too, resulting in adult jewelry swan-diving into the bark chips. I have learned to dig every signal, as the small items can give off a foil vibe...You had a great time, POE, congrats on the silver and gold. Sub 8-)

PS...I have a good time in the 10-15 foot ring around the playground, that is where the strollers and blankets end up, with things falling off of them!

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats, Doc. Really like that cameo piece. -Lisa & John

OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello btjbtj,

Nothing Earth shattering, but sure a lot of fun! :icon_thumleft:

Doc

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, and a good digging strategy for summer park tot-lot hunting when plugging will almost always damage the grass. I do the same here but there are no affluent neighborhoods for many miles so my finds aren't as spectacular. Good hunting!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
SOMEONE GOT SILVER FEVER .

OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sutphin,

I sure wish there was more Silver and Gold, but bling is fun too!

Doc

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice results for your efforts!
Jon

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a lot of treasure, congrats!

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds.
You developed a plan.
You stuck with it until refutation.
And you reaped the harvest.
Nothing better than a good plan ending well.:occasion14:
Marvin

OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks GA Boy! :icon_thumright:

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You really cleaned up those tot lots with great success.

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well THAT is quite a remarkable bit of recoveries in jewelry and cash! Your experiment proved to be quite interesting and fruitful. I have occasionally gone to parks to practice hearing sound variations on the machine and trying to learn to discern and to predict what will be in the hole. Still working on that...but not early in the AM :). I am more of a night 🦉.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a neat thread.

In '87 I was working at Pilgrim Station. In one of my rare days off, my wife guilted me into taking our son to a tot lot in Plymouth. That's where I found my last gold ring, at a swingset. I was so tired from overwork, she had to prod me to even turn my 1260X on. I did, walked over to the wood chips of a swingset, got a signal, got a gold, turned the machine off and went home.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread