The Good, the Bad and the Ugly Coppers

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will start off with the Good first, I wish I could say I found it but no, my son did the honors of getting a very nice 1803 Half Cent.

We spent the afternoon hiking and exploring for new sites, and had one in mind that was a good 35 minute hike for us. Funny, on the way we ran into a guy in full cameos and we stopped and chatted and evidently he was looking for Coyotes! I know in the past 20 years their populations have greatly increased here in South Jersey, along with the increase in the Turkey population. Hmmmmmmmmm :D

The Half Cent was found not at the new site we spent walking to, but on our way back to the truck we stopped at my "Tallyo" site and my son got a chance to spend a few minutes there and got a old button and just as we were about to pack it in for the day he yelled to me that he had a definite coin reading.

I crashed thru the brush to watch the dig in progress and as usual, there was in fact a coin in fresh dug pile and one happy moment later, he said, Draped Bust Half Cent! That made his day, since earlier he only got two buttons at the new site we found.

Next, the Ugly: The Ugly coin was found by me on Friday, I went back to the Tallyo site and was determined to start hunting the permiter areas of the now wooded area, which was thick in scrub oak, but I knew there were iron hits there so always a good chance for more buttons and a coin or two. Immediately as I walked into the area got a beautiful copper coin reading. I dug and recovered a nice large heavily dirt encrusted copper. Not till I got home did I discover that basically there was no detail left on the copper, so judging by the size, weight, thickness, it matched up perfectly with several of my William III Halfpence, so that is what my guesstimate is on that coin, based on that and site found at.

Now the BAD I was going to name the post a M F copper found or something like that but Don be good. ::) At the first new site my son and I found yesterday, I found this large Copper, and I mean large, it is over 30mm in diameter and was just about worn smooth. It was not till I got it home and did the heavy Peroxide cleaning that the scratched in initials of M F on the side and the M on the other came forth. Not till it dried off and I was looking at it under magnification did I finally see most of the words ONE CENT.

So the BAD coin was a hammered out a bit Large Cent and based on how Draped Busts fit into the weight range of this one and they usually wear out with detail before any of the other types, I am fairly certain it was a Draped Bust. I'm sure only M F and a couple others only knew what the purpose of doing it to that coin were.

So, there is the Good , the Bad and the Ugly finds.

One note, I the site I got the MF coin at was very heavy in iron hits and after the first half hour of not digging anything but shotgun shells, I did as my son did, I cut in half my sensitivity and it was only then that I could distinguish other targets at the site.

The 1803 Half Cent was the first one for that year either of us have found, so that was nice also.

Don

Attachments

• Tallyoview1.jpg
    Tallyoview1.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 782
  • UglyCoinDig.jpg
    UglyCoinDig.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 784
  • FridayFinds.jpg
    FridayFinds.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 778
  • NewSite232.jpg
    NewSite232.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 780
  • BAD coin.jpg
    BAD coin.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 789
  • Site231&232finds.jpg
    Site231&232finds.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 786
  • Half Cent Fresh out of ground (2).jpg
    Half Cent Fresh out of ground (2).jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 785
  • 1803_half_cent.jpg
    1803_half_cent.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 772
  • MF Large Cent.jpg
    MF Large Cent.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 772
  • Ugly Coin.jpg
    Ugly Coin.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 764
Upvote 0
H

hessian raider

I have a question about one of your flat buttons. I found one with the exact same back mark "standard colour", but mine is very thin; almost like sheet metal. I tried to do some research on it, but I found nothing. Aside from the fact that the British spell color with a "u", what can you tell me about it? Any help would be appreciated.

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hessian raider said:
I have a question about one of your flat buttons. I found one with the exact same back mark "standard colour", but mine is very thin; almost like sheet metal. I tried to do some research on it, but I found nothing. Aside from the fact that the British spell color with a "u", what can you tell me about it? Any help would be appreciated.

No set rule, but generally buttons of that type of b/m are ca 1800 and as late as 1830's. Many variants of using the terms, no definite answer for you. Most buttons did not contain any standard type of quality backmark until the Act of 1796(British), after that all buttons that were gilded or plated had to have some type of marking indicating the actual quality. There was no standard for putting backmarks on buttons indicating the correct plating or gilding until the law of 1796.

Don

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much is that 1803 worth?

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
WOW!! That Half Cent is a beauty!!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully there will be plenty more for you to find Don... If not atleast Your son was the one who found it an you did share a memory that will last a life time...

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
How much is that 1803 worth?

Not much,(IMHO) the year is relatively common and the variety he found is one of two Very Common varieties out of 4 for that year. If it were not a grounder, than I am fairly certain it would be a a hundred or two, perhaps more, but with the corrosion from being in the ground, less than a hundred for a guess.

Don

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is a nice 1803 half cent I would take it any day of the week even with the corrosion

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don,
Congrats to you & your son. Some great coins and buttons. I'll trade you my MFing Farthing for your MFing copper. ;D :thumbsup:
-MM-

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt, you two had a great day.

HH,Ringfinder

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonderfull Story,,,,& Great Finds as well....C O N G R A T S

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds as usual Don. That half center is awesome. :o Tell your son congrats. :thumbsup: I've found a couple coppers in the past that made me exclaim "M F" but none that actually had M F inscribed on them. :D ;D

Kent in AL

Mar 21, 2003
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Fisher CZ-6a, ID Edge
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds! The half cent is awesome and even though the M.F. coin is hammered out, I think it's really neat that you have something that was personalized 150-200 years ago. Really cool!

Kent

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The half cent is sweet. I would steal wool the ugly ones, you may get some detail out of them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions