Not open for further replies.

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got permission today to hunt some private property. It has an old graveyard that dates back a couple hundred years(all ancient graves). He told me to feel free to hunt it, but just dont dig over the graves.......I wouldn't want to do anything to bring shame to my fellow Tneters. ;D...........what do you think? Whats ok and whats not?

Upvote 0
You bad grave robbers! >:(
Do the right thing and hunt at a tot lot.
Waiting for some poor innocent kid to loose his lunch money and then swoop in for the kill.
There's way more honour in tot lot hunting!
I remember hearing a mother say to my buddy one time about us being vultures, preying upon a kid's misfortune.
No way mam, it's o.k. to hunt at a tot lot! Finders keepers, losers weepers.....
Stay out of those cemeteries!!!! :tongue3:

Parisdakarbmw

Sep 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My feelings are that the any grave should be left alone unless you are an archaeoligist, or medical examiner. Someone mentioned people leaving special things for the loved one on top of the grave. But I'm only considering the area between the headsone, and foot marker.

The pathways, and parking areas seem to be in good taste, but the resting place of a human should be off limits. That's just my feelings. If it is regognizable as a burial site, or grave, I have no business touching it.

I honestly wouldn't care if someone swept on top of my grave, but one of my little girls may leave me a little token tucked an inch below the sod. I just think it's a sacred area to be left alone directly covering the grave.

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
i was detecting an old one room schoolhouse one time with a buddy and during the hunt a truck pulls up and a guy asks if we're finding anything. after a few minutes of chit chat he tells us he lives up the street in an old farm with several hundred acres, he then goes on to ask us if we would detect a small gravesite(maybe 12 headstones in a 50'x50' area) surrounded by an old iron fence which was on the property that dated back to the mid 1700's with the most recent date being early 1800's. i thought it was a strange request but he said he was very curious and he would also show us some other points of interest on the property and let us detect all around the house and barn area. anyway it was gettin late in the day and we said we'd stop up the next day and check out the property. next day we show up and the first place the property owner takes us is the old graveyard, his description was correct and it was very old, most of the stones were very worn and some unreadable and slightly overgrown with foliage(this was early spring). my buddy was creeped out and hunted the outskirts while the property owner and I entered the rusty iron fenced area.......would i do it again at a property owners request......absolutely

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
don't forget to check the teeth for gold fillings and some bony fingers may still have a wedding band attached - be sure to gather these too. Best to dig em up while they are still fresh.

mgtmadness

Dec 25, 2009
Bath ,NY
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i
I have been in graveyards too remove trees that were broken and about too fall on gravestones, ones that fell in the graveyard and have even had too bring in stump grinders literally to grind a stump of a tree that grew into and pushed a head stone over. It did feel kinda weird standing over the place where the stump grinder was and filling the hole back in after the grinding was done.
However, in my town founded in 1793 there is a cemetery that is still used, and on one side of the cemetery there is a small hill where people sled ride down this hill, this area may be a good spot too detect and of course no bodies will be buried in this area, I just have not had the nerve too detect that place.I have not been in there but it looks like the road goes off to the right, the burial is off to the left of the road, the sledding area is off to the right of the road, the top of the sledding area, is the road,so the sledders wait on the road waiting for their turn and go on the right side of the road to go sledding down this small hill 20-25 feet down to the bottom.
I am sure the caretaker of the cemeteries has too bring in push mowers, rider mowers, wheel carts,trailers full of dirt, pickup trucks, brush hoggers, stump grinders, seeding machines that tow behind mowers or small push ones.
I would not dig over a grave-site,or the immediate surrounding but I would dig on that sled-riding hill I was just talking about.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Back in the day when we first started tectin, and were so ignor-ant about the whole matter of tectin in general, we hit an old neighborhood graveyard from the early 1800's, at night, because we thought it was sorta weird to have anybody see us, ghosts and spirits notwithstanding. Anyway, we found an old rotten box filled with about $20K face value early pre-civil war gold coins. My friend, Tuco, died on the spot from a heart attack. I put the hoard on my four wheeler and buried Tuco in the pit. I am going to get the last word on this even if it frikin kills me :laughing9:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
gleaner1 said:
Back in the day when we first started tectin, and were so ignor-ant about the whole matter of tectin in general, we hit an old neighborhood graveyard from the early 1800's, at night, because we thought it was sorta weird to have anybody see us, ghosts and spirits notwithstanding. Anyway, we found an old rotten box filled with about $20K face value early pre-civil war gold coins. My friend, Tuco, died on the spot from a heart attack. I put the hoard on my four wheeler and buried Tuco in the pit. I am going to get the last word on this even if it frikin kills me :laughing9:
All i can say about it ....Is if you want to hunt a graveyard go hunt it.................. If you don't want to don't................ Do what you want not what some one tells you be your own man...............So far i got the last word.......

OP
OP
m bryan

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gleaner1 said:
Hope you left a gold ring or some jewelry on Tuco for future detectorist.... ;D

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Lesche...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it were me is all: I'd not be even the least bit creep'd or freaked to detect there. BUT, my heart would feel selfish and shameful for being so disrespectful as to hunt even NEAR the graves. I'd thankfully decline.

Just my 2¢...

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seamuss said:
A cemetary is full of dead people. How does a person get permission from a resident to hunt there? Just one way of looking at it.

OMG, seriously?! What the hell makes you think the dead person or living relative OWNS a grave? News flash! They don't! When you pay a cemetary for burial, you are paying for just that, burial. If they want to dig you up and move you, they can. They can remove your $10,000 head stone and put in one of those flat markers if they want. The only party that owns land in a cemetary is either the city, or a cemetary organization.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never hunted a cemetary out of RESPECT for the living, and the image of our hobby. I don't care if others do hunt them. The persons who can give permission are the ones who own or manage it. The bodies there own nothing, they are not RESIDENTS.

It's fine if you don't want to hunt there, there are plenty of other places to detect. Just make sure you are using facts and not emotions in your arguements.

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason in Enid said:
Seamuss said:
A cemetary is full of dead people. How does a person get permission from a resident to hunt there? Just one way of looking at it.

OMG, seriously?! What the hell makes you think the dead person or living relative OWNS a grave? News flash! They don't! When you pay a cemetary for burial, you are paying for just that, burial. If they want to dig you up and move you, they can. They can remove your $10,000 head stone and put in one of those flat markers if they want. The only party that owns land in a cemetary is either the city, or a cemetary organization.

I'm not going to speak for all cemeteries, but, yes, you can OWN the plot. I have the deed for my grandmother's plot, and had to show ownership to bury my aunt there.

On another note, I'm a genealogist, as well as a lover of history. I have visited family cemeteries in many states, and in many states of disrepair. It is my hope that even if my ancestors graves aren't being tended, at least they are being respected. Just because a grave appears to be forgotten doesn't mean that that person doesn't deserve to rest in peace. I would also ask that those of you that find gravestones in out-of-the-way locations, readable or not, would please let the local history or genealogy society know about them. There are many of us still trying to locate our ancestors' burial locations. Thanks for listening!
Tigger

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know where a slave graveyard is. Probably 50 graves or more in the woods.
Ive thought of detecting there. Not for things in the graves but more for things that visitors or diggers may have lost.

silverdimes

Nov 11, 2012
Russian River area
Detector(s) used
1, MP3 PRO
2, Garrette AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have thought of it but thought about and asked other hunters and we found that people do leave coins knives rings and other mementos on the grave sites and I think they should be left even I have placed things in the ground above some friends that died young I would not want someone to come take it it was left for personal reasons and thats what i think. good luck & happy hunting
Got permission today to hunt some private property. It has an old graveyard that dates back a couple hundred years(all ancient graves). He told me to feel free to hunt it, but just dont dig over the graves.......I wouldn't want to do anything to bring shame to my fellow Tneters. ;D...........what do you think? Whats ok and whats not?

MetalDetectMatt

Oct 24, 2012
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very nice, I would go for it. Unless you are a grave robber or a corpse thief I'd say you have nothing to worry about and know you're boundaries.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last I checked these detectors dnt go 6 feet down, if u got permission I'd hunt every where on that place

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
I wonder what he decided todo being that this post is over two years old.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are not starting this graveyard debate again, there are multiple threads on it already.

The concensus of majority of our members who posted has always been it is bad for the hobby, puts us in bad light with the public.

In the end it is up to each person, people will do what they want to do, good or bad anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread