the great deception of swift

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Was reading through some geologic stuff and found this:

Because subduction of slabs to depth is necessary to drive subduction zone volcanism (through the destabilization and dewatering of minerals and the resultant flux melting of the mantle wedge), flat-slab subduction can be invoked to explain volcanic gaps.

First thoughts through my mind was Pine Mountain and then Mammoth Cave. Volcanic gaps would be a good explanation for both.

Last edited:

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are ancient faults not active ones. Just because there is a fault does not mean there is always precious metal though. Every hole in the ground isn't a well, and every cave isn't a mine... same sort of thing.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ky Hiker, I too came up with the same conclusion years ago. A good source was the exploration parties or survey parties that went into Kentucky. Christopher Gist and the other one, Thomas Walker. But anyway they listed from Washington Area to Kentucky all of the stop overs and the mileage between sleep overs and campsites. They even listed where they found a wall of burnish brass and Christopher Gist said if this be gold it is the richest deposit he had ever seen. This was a little SE of Lexington Kentucky. The Thomas Walker survey party was the one that gave the campsites and old campsites. Daniel Boone also made surveys and kept records as well as Joseph Martin, founder of Martin's Station. That is where the first silver was brought to in 1776 by two trappers. You can find most of this in the Draper Manuscripts or on line by google of "The Long Hunters."

Other Explorers
...Chief Brandt 14.5 days from Kanawa to Little Sandy...

http://vagenweb.org/wise/SilverMines/SSminesEH.html
...geologists...

http://vagenweb.org/wise/SilverMines/FiresideStory.html

http://vagenweb.org/wise/SilverMines/Workmen.html

Last edited:

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Those are ancient faults not active ones. Just because there is a fault does not mean there is always precious metal though. Every hole in the ground isn't a well, and every cave isn't a mine... same sort of thing.

Dog Gone : Just my luck, Oh Well, Life is full of disappointments.

OP
OP
rgb1

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
considering blindness of swift and smelting yes it can cause blindness or death if there is lead fumes mercury arsenic or others of poisonious nature it tends to build in your system till it reaches the level of death if there is osmium in the ore the fumes if they get into the eyes formc a coating on the eye that due to chemical reaction of body fluid forms a metalic coating of the eye this causes blindness so this was probably reason for swifts blindness. i have found most of pt. metals in minute quanaties in most assays i have done from ky. reason i am aware of this im going thru possibly this senario eye doctors have not figured it out for shure as yet .

Last edited:

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Was driving along a highway this evening and noticing the rock formation in cuts through the mountain/hills. Always before I would focus on coal seams and their thickness, BUT this evening I focused on rock formations, Sure is amazing the story that lays under the surface.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like your turning into a rock hound...I had always found Geology to be the most boring of the sciences until I became interested in the Swift legend.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I think you are referring to the sediment rock deposits from the ancient sea? That is mostly sandstone, and from what I have read the metals are below that layer. Precious metals come from metamorphic stone I do believe. These would seep up through fissures from volcanic or thermal activity or from severe impacts into the crust from space. I am no geologist though, so find an expert to get a definite answer to that.

I have yet to get an answer on the hemispherical cavities I see on cliff faces and under some rock houses. What was deposited there that washed out and left the round hole shapes. I need to befriend a good geologist I guess.

GIRL/WOMAN GEOLOGIST!

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
I posted a day or two ago that the geology from Campton eastward was much the same . The thing of it is we have an extra layer and in place two extra. About 20 vertical ft. from the top of the ridge is a layer with marble size pebbles from when this was all covered by water. It's not every where just under the highest knobs. And what is on the knobs in the Campton area is half way between creek and ridge in Paintsville area. Haven't studied the area south of Paintsville much but I figure as the hills get higher there's a good chance there will be more extra layers.

Last edited:

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
I wonder if that is Rockcastle conglomerate? I think the change in elevation is due to the lift of the mountain range as you head Eastward. Little round white stones embedded into a sandstone like mix of larger rock ?

Geology of Kentucky: Chapter 7, Pennsylvanian

Nope they were fist, basketball and some larger sizes. In a vertical crack in a cut through the hill for the road.

Was just looking and the geology doesn't change as you go south from Paintsville . Stays the same all the way to the fault at the southern border. The thickness of layers changes a bit though I figure.

Last edited:

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a quick comment on Swift blindness from smelting Silver, in Ohio there are some silver mines that Indians worked, the location has something to do with "the tears of the moon". The early British settlers found out and started trying to obtain it and smelt it, they died....seems some silver has cadmium in it....and it will kill you when breathed in fume state. The reason it didn't bother the Indians was probably smelting methods, Indians more or less thru the ore in a fire, the British probably used more modern and enclosed methods of smelting.

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Most often when you find a fault line in geology you find different structures on both sides of the fault. At least that is holding true from the two faults I've been studying .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread