The Great Road/Colonial roads

AnnieF

Jul 26, 2012
Western NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I never heard of it! Do you have a link to recommend? I'm going to go Google it right now, but a recommendation is always welcome.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I think he means Boston Post Road.The first major road in New England.I live in the area and good luck digging through pavement lol.I have a book about the Boston Post Road,very few areas are left untouched.

maxpower

Apr 29, 2005
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i understand there were several boston post roads, i often wondered about the turnpikes of old, how and where were the tolls collected? would be interesting to see if one could find and search the toll areas?

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
There were two main branches of the Boston post road in 1690.One branch followed the coast,the other branch was inland.

maxpower

Apr 29, 2005
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the map listed on Wikipedia shows several branches, however there is no date indicated on the map, but since the map shows the city of Lowell which did not exist until many years later, i'd tend to believe that this is not the original post road configuration

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Most likely not.The map i'm looking at in my book was drawn up in 1690 by Philip Lea.Since that time the original road has most likely been rerouted so many times that its pathetic.The only way to find the originals would be with an original map imposed over a modern map.Or an original map with the coords on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread