THE GREAT SHAWNEE CAVE - WHO WANTS TO GO - LAST CALL?

OP
OP
swiftsearcher

swiftsearcher

Feb 25, 2006
VA
Detector(s) used
MP 3 Pro Digital
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TP, as I stated before, I have found the lighthouse rock. AND, it is shaped EXACTLY like a lighthouse and is in the EXACT position Swift stated. I also found the Turtle Back rock (and showed this to my friend Ralph Hurst when he was in recently). I know the pic in Henson's books of what he thought to be the Lighthouse Rock, was simply an arch. The REAL Lighthouse Rock I found exactly where Swift stated is indeed shaped like a lighthouse with a hole in the top. Also, if you are standing East of it, you can look West and see the "sky beyond" as Swift stated.

Anyway, the only reason I have not found the Chestnut Bur Rock, Buffalo Rock and Tea Kettle Rocks is b/c I have NOT been in the area I have pinpointed for the Rich Mine yet. My research is going in order from Swift's first mine being the first point of my search - the Rich Mine being the last point of my search. So far, I have found two mines. The first one Swift stated he mined in 1761. Then, when he moved West to the saddle gap, I have found the rockhouse and waterfall there, along with the mine at the head of the drain South of the Rockhouse (with the balance rock in the cliff).

Anyway, I have to go. I should get to searching for the Rich Mine in March. I will then let everyone know about the Mine and Chestnut Bur rock (which would be the one directly above the mine).

Caver, I do know that SOME journals claim Swift hid silver and gold in the Great Shawnee Cave. This is why I wanted to form the expedition to the Pine Mountain area and either find out if this area had the cave or not. If not, it is probably in another area I will not mention at the moment. Also, there was probably some Shawnee treasures supposedly stored in the Great Cave as well, when they were forced West by the Whites.

OP
OP
swiftsearcher

swiftsearcher

Feb 25, 2006
VA
Detector(s) used
MP 3 Pro Digital
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One last thing - someone mentioned they believed I might have found Swift's "Lower Mines". This is TRUE! The old copies of journals I have that I went by have Swift working the Lower mines. I will print both of these copies in the book.

In one of my journals, there is a paragraph that is similar to a paragraph in one of Henson's journals that, after reading, leads one to believe that Swift worked the Lower mines. I don't know how Henson got the conclusions he did after that paragraph (though, mine goes into more detail) that Swift worked the Upper mines.

Anyway, I have seen literally dozens of journals - all different to some extents. Many similar to some extents. Of course, all are copies, as none are originals penned in Swift's own hand. So, naturally, they will differ to some extent through human error.

I have pinpointed the Upper Mines as well, though I don't plan on doing any research in that area, as all of what I want to find is where I am looking. I will give directions to the Upper Mines in the book for those who might want to check it out - I will give an almost exact location on this (and some French mines Swift mentions in the vicinity as well!). I will also give the areas to where I believe some of the caches are located that I just cannot look for due to the terrain and my health!

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
MD & Handwand "CaveHunter"Hiker" SonyDigital SLR
swiftsearcher said:
One last thing - someone mentioned they believed I might have found Swift's "Lower Mines". This is TRUE! The old copies of journals I have that I went by have Swift working the Lower mines. I will print both of these copies in the book.

In one of my journals, there is a paragraph that is similar to a paragraph in one of Henson's journals that, after reading, leads one to believe that Swift worked the Lower mines. I don't know how Henson got the conclusions he did after that paragraph (though, mine goes into more detail) that Swift worked the Upper mines.

Anyway, I have seen literally dozens of journals - all different to some extents. Many similar to some extents. Of course, all are copies, as none are originals penned in Swift's own hand. So, naturally, they will differ to some extent through human error.

I have pinpointed the Upper Mines as well, though I don't plan on doing any research in that area, as all of what I want to find is where I am looking. I will give directions to the Upper Mines in the book for those who might want to check it out - I will give an almost exact location on this (and some French mines Swift mentions in the vicinity as well!). I will also give the areas to where I believe some of the caches are located that I just cannot look for due to the terrain and my health!

Swiftsearcher, The bottom paragragh you speak of pertains to my area and possably one of my finds. You mention locations you knew of caches being hidden, if your info proves right i would gladly include you in the find :) -Ki-

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you ever publish your book? :read2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread