the great white north

existentiallettuce

Aug 23, 2009
Random question here folks. Is there any way I could come by canadian or other foreign rolls in the states at or near cost? I have this pipe dream of searching canadian stuff for a thrill. My passport is out of date and its at least a three day drive from here unfortunately. Would a major metro area have currency exchange in bulk?

Upvote 0

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Michigan and find canadian coins all the time. Your not missing anything that ggreat, occasionally I'll find a silver one

OP
OP
E

existentiallettuce

Aug 23, 2009
I can imagine its not that great. I did however find an old george vi penny in a roll the other day. Kind of what id like to work on building, a full set of older canadian stuff.

Ltrain

Sep 13, 2010
What I wonder is if Canadian coinage, particularly dimes and quarters, will yield more silver than US, as their coins lack the copper strip on the side, which is the easiest way to differentiate between silver and everything else.

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ltrain said:
What I wonder is if Canadian coinage, particularly dimes and quarters, will yield more silver than US, as their coins lack the copper strip on the side, which is the easiest way to differentiate between silver and everything else.

Excellent point - I mean question!!! :icon_thumleft:

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
ill usually get anywhere from (usually 0) 0-3 canadians per box of dimes, and in the few thousand dollars ive done in dimes, some how ive gotten 2 silver canadians ('57 and '60-80% silver) dimes...so i would imagine its pretty plentiful, cuz ive probably gotten about a roll or 2 worth of canadian dimes in circ, 2 were the silver ones...although, a reasonable explanation fo that might be because normal canadians r magnetic and get pulled by counting machines, but silvers arent, so they get rolled w/ our copper coins...just a theory. keep it up and hh!
PS it too has always been a dream of mine to search canadian dimes and quarters.

Ltrain

Sep 13, 2010
CHAINCHOMP said:
ill usually get anywhere from (usually 0) 0-3 canadians per box of dimes, and in the few thousand dollars ive done in dimes, some how ive gotten 2 silver canadians ('57 and '60-80% silver) dimes...so i would imagine its pretty plentiful, cuz ive probably gotten about a roll or 2 worth of canadian dimes in circ, 2 were the silver ones...although, a reasonable explanation fo that might be because normal canadians r magnetic and get pulled by counting machines, but silvers arent, so they get rolled w/ our copper coins...just a theory. keep it up and hh!
PS it too has always been a dream of mine to search canadian dimes and quarters.

My experiences are similar. I've done north of like, $25k in dimes, and I've found about 8 silver Canadian dimes. I agree with your theory... the steel ones get pulled by magnets, the silvers make it in... that's why you'll rarely find a non-silver Canadian coin besides the cents and nickels in a machine roll.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread