The Grizzly Tales; Live from AU Colorado

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Enjoy big bend and thanks for the shout out! (I'm in Boston until late tonight myself).

PS I love seeing the gold from N Clear Creek too! Lot of good gold up there :) Those colored layers are out wash from the old mills. Some guys wear rubber boots and gloves in N Clear Creek due to the arsenic and such in the water, others jump right in and dredge...not sure who's right but something to think about. You'll also likely find some mercury coated gold in those colorful layers so keep an eye out for that. Love to spend a day up there with ya sometime soon!

OP
OP
GrizzlyGremlin

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
So it was supposed to rain or snow but last minute sunshine prevailed!
Spent the day at the bar with my girlfriend. (Gravel bar that is :) anyway ive been complaining lately about hauling buckets and panning.
To remind me where i came from and the animal panner i used to be today was pans only!
Because of this i used my raking carpet to help process material. Im not going to spend time on this deal but is basically shoveling onto black mat and raking off the big and light stuff.
So im most definitely getting s blue bowl or miller table. I had a full pan of black sand by the end of the day and whew am i spent on panning.
To boot i still need a 50 mesh classifier. My gold is absent of the stupidly small stuff.
Hey kevin what percent of your usual take is -50. Because im missing most all of it! They'll be there for a rainy day.
Beautiful day in that intense colorado sunshine regardless.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428632133.816727.jpg

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
1/3 to 1/2 the gold in metro Denver is -50 but you don't need a blue bowl or miller table. I do it all with a magnet a pan and a 50 mesh classifier :)

OP
OP
GrizzlyGremlin

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
So today i tried a new spot, and before finding some pretty dang nice gold i would have divulged the location public like.
Pm me if you want the location, the pay layer is up and down through out the whole place but its pretty sick!
I spent 2 hours digging and sampling and another hour talking to the many people already on it. The area is worked but people are lazy and want easy gold.
I just so happen to use a super secret tool that allows me to classify and move move lots of material at the same time!... Ok its a rake. It helps keep a tidy work area and easy tailing removal.
Well anyway long story short, for a short dig i killed it.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1429058364.879604.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1429058395.430061.jpg
One of these days ill get my dredge out, but the mountain streams are still ice.
I was waist deep digging in warm water on sweet gold, 78degrees, bright CO yellow everywhere!!
Doesn't get much better for kicking it in april!!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very impressive for where you were. Gotta get me a rake! And seriously I know how hard you work when you're feeding a sluice...you earn it bro!

OP
OP
GrizzlyGremlin

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Ok metal heads, im opening an invitation to crash the creek on saturday all day at Arapahoe Bar in Wheatridge.
Ps. That last pile is from there. Shhhh

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok metal heads, im opening an invitation to crash the creek on saturday all day at Arapahoe Bar in Wheatridge.
Ps. That last pile is from there. Shhhh

I expected that was where you were, given the warm water hint. :) Nice gold you got. I hope to be able to come; is the water good enough to run my 48" Bazooka Miner?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh heck yes Dave, plenty of water and slope at Arapahoe Bar...even for your big ol'Miner!

Wish I was around to join in!

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh heck yes Dave, plenty of water and slope at Arapahoe Bar...even for your big ol'Miner!

Wish I was around to join in!

Thanks, Kevin. I have not been there this time of year and have no idea what the water levels are like right now. Wish you could join in too; hoping I get to join in. :)

OP
OP
GrizzlyGremlin

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Hey Dave, the water is perfect! Plenty of drop in most places, and good diggins up the whole stretch. Id love to see that big ole miner in action!

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Dave, the water is perfect! Plenty of drop in most places, and good diggins up the whole stretch. Id love to see that big ole miner in action!

I'd love to bring it. However, today is 32 and snowing. More of the same projected for the rest of the week with rain/snow mixed. Denver may not be quite as bad, but doesn't llok too good weatherwise. As much as I love shoveling into my miner, my body doesn't take cold too well any more. I'll play it by ear for Saturday, but I will be coming up to Denver soon to do some creek work with you and some of the others.

OP
OP
GrizzlyGremlin

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
So today i woke up to 5" of slushy wet snow. Its 36 degrees and plain gloomy.
The river will be up and cold tomorrow but that wont stop me at all.
I found my 2nd biggest piece in flood stage water!!
Imo high water lets you get those not so worked places.
Hopefully ill be showing a nice pile of that AU tmw afternoon!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You are a hard working, hard core digger GG! I'm betting tomorrow you'll be pretty alone tho ;-)

OP
OP
GrizzlyGremlin

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Yes Mr. Kevin, some people call me crazy to dig in perfect hypothermia weather.
Truth be told im literally addicted to the color.
I just cant get enough for my cravings!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I can relate! I've been out every month for 4 years straight...never missed a month!

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You are a hard working, hard core digger GG! I'm betting tomorrow you'll be pretty alone tho ;-)

Yes, I would think so; but this afternoon turned out fairly nice as far as the sky and air temp are concerned. However, melting snow everywhere will make it just like GG said, high, cold water. Saturday is projected to be in the 40's with rain. Sigh.

OP
OP
GrizzlyGremlin

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Mr Dave too right you were and this Grizz made the most of it.
I was out of work at 3:00
Home, changed, gear and dog grabbed , and at the spot by 4:15.
Dam built, sluice ripping, work area raked, and first shovel at 4:59.
Smashed it until 7:15.
Found a decently rich thin layer about 10" down.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1429330723.267973.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1429330799.617504.jpg

Home by 7:36
Moving to Colorado was one of the better decisions I've made.
Particularly because i found this 5.1 miles from my pad!!
Fun doesn't quite say it! Its a good feeling knowing that all winter long this gold is available to satisfy the itch.
Tommorow im giving it again. Harder! Longer! And more AU!!

OP
OP
GrizzlyGremlin

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Well that first pic is wrong. That was last trips pile. Here was todays.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1429332107.756488.jpg
Now to take some pics of the river and other "sensitive and authentic shots"
To be honest when im seeing gold i just want to dig.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice looking gold there!! Way to go GrizzlyGremlin. I admire your working in the cold like that. Tonight we are having more snow. We went to a friends house and after visiting almost two hours, came out to find an inch of new snow on the car! Good luck tomorrow; wish I could be there also.

Again, nice looking Colorado gold!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions