The Grossmann Celt Cache

IlliniGuy

Dec 8, 2012
Illinois
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I mentioned this cache under Jon Phillip's Fine cache of flint and didn't want to hijack his thread. Here is a link and some pics I took of the cache a couple of years ago. It is housed at Cahokia Mounds Museum and takes up three display cases.Cahokia Mounds | Explore | Grossmann Cache of 70 Celts View attachment 718567 View attachment 718568 View attachment 718569 View attachment 718570 View attachment 718571

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IlliniGuy

IlliniGuy

Dec 8, 2012
Illinois
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry, they only take two cases. The first case is another celt cache.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Found between Shiloh and O'fallon. Obviously a great display. If you've never been to the Cahokia museum it's definitely worth it. We used to go to it every 3 or 4 months, but there's probably something wrong with me. I love it, the kids love it.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be in heaven seeing that let alone finding them. Those are where they need to be,,on display. Thanks for the view.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could you even think what the person thought when it was found? That is a find of a lifetime rite there. Some of those Celts look very large also. They must of been strong to sling them at a tree.

OP
OP
IlliniGuy

IlliniGuy

Dec 8, 2012
Illinois
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Could you even think what the person thought when it was found? That is a find of a lifetime rite there. Some of those Celts look very large also. They must of been strong to sling them at a tree.
The largest is 18 inches long and weighs 25 pounds.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri

It was actually found in a controlled dig. There are a lot of good pictures of them in situ and coming out, all the different layers. Again, it's a must visit in my mind. Cahokia is on of the 2 or 3 coolest places I've ever been.

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice thanks for the look and info...

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK I see it is a mound find. I live near some mounds but just havent found any great things.

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK I see it is a mound find. I live near some mounds but just havent found any great things.
I never had any luck looking around mounds one archy told me they kept the area around them clean, I hunt some fields about 1/4 mile from some mounds and the finds are scarce but I'm sure the fields have been hit hard over the years so I get into the creeks around them much better imo.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread