The highest price item you Will put on eBay

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Back in the innocent days of eBay, 2003 to be exact, I bought an $18K 1965 Mustang convertible with pony interior and an a 289 A-code motor. I sent the guy $2000 and went to pick it up a few days later with the rest of the cash in form of a check in my pocket. The seller was in Canada, on Manatoulin Island. Took me about 16 hours by bus and I drove it back and "re-patriated" the American Iron. Would I do it today, maybe not, but the car has been very good to us, now my daughter, born in 2005 rides around with me and gets a big kick out of being picked up at school in it, with the top down of course. Is this the type of thing you were asking about?

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the innocent days of eBay, 2003 to be exact, I bought an $18K 1965 Mustang convertible with pony interior and an a 289 A-code motor. I sent the guy $2000 and went to pick it up a few days later with the rest of the cash in form of a check in my pocket. The seller was in Canada, on Manatoulin Island. Took me about 16 hours by bus and I drove it back and "re-patriated" the American Iron. Would I do it today, maybe not, but the car has been very good to us, now my daughter, born in 2005 rides around with me and gets a big kick out of being picked up at school in it, with the top down of course. Is this the type of thing you were asking about?

In a sense but not quite so big I'm more referring to say you had a $10,000 necklace would you take the risk of listing it up for sale on eBay and chance getting scammed and somebody sending you a fake one back and them getting the money back or would you only risk say 5000 or even just 1000 The reason why ask out of curiosity and here lately I've had a few people email me trying to return stuff but when I second guessed the reasonings for returning it I don't receive anything back from them leads me to think that they were trying to pull a fast one I hope this all makes sense

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I myself would not risk a high dollar item based the reasons you gave. So maybe a hundred dollars is all I would be willing to risk loosing. Anything of real value I am sure I could find a better way selling. Let me clarify I will be glad to sell a high dollar item as long as I did not pay more than $100 for it.

Last edited:

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I've currently got a tea set listed for $2950 & have sold several items priced between $300 and $1200.

bdsawyer

Feb 25, 2014
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just make sure to protect yourself with signature confirmation and insurance. If you are really paranoid video yourself packing the item. I sell a lot on eBay and rarely do I have an issue with high dollar items.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I've sold a silver lot for over $1000, a gold necklace for $1200, an original painting to an overseas buyer for $1300, and a few other high priced items without any issues. I always do signature confirmation and insurance too...just in case.

reapp

Nov 1, 2005
In 2006 I sold a 1963 Gibson Electric guitar to a guy in Italy for $7300. It worked out fine, but I would never do it again. I currently have two old Fender guitars which I need to sell, but ebay makes me nervous!

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the replies I've have sold some items $1000-$1500 range but the item I want to put up there is around the 5 to 6 that's why am a little cautious

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sold a painting for 5,000 a few years ago, had no issues
Many other items in the 500 - 1,000 range, no problem
Look at the buyers rating, experience
cash / paypal is king
never accept a check
IMO Brady

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Just be smart about it. Use the same common sense you would use if doing business face to face. If something seems to good to be true, it probably is. If you use common sense, follow ebay/paypal policies and use the protections already built in, you should be fine.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've sold a small handful of $1000- $2000+ items over the years, as well as many in the multiple 100's of dollars as well. Both on ebay and off ebay, using paypal direct with verified account holders. I have never had a problem. Knock on wood. As Ben mentioned, be smart and follow procedure.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I've sold a small handful of $1000- $2000+ items over the years, as well as many in the multiple 100's of dollars as well. Both on ebay and off ebay, using paypal direct with verified account holders. I have never had a problem. Knock on wood. As Ben mentioned, be smart and follow procedure.

I often chime in on threads where people have gotten themselves into a "situation" selling something in an online marketplace. The most common trend I see in these situations is that people like to take a proven good thing a put their own spin on it and re-write the rules. That is how people get into trouble. Don't reinvent the wheel. All of these online marketplaces have been around for a LONG time. They have thrown LOTS of money and resources into perfecting their system. It does actually work, despite what many complainers may think.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread