''The Hill'' - Day 9 - Hammered & 3 SAXON SCEATS...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surprised to wake up to the first Winter snow, only about 2 inches but with conditions only just making zero, it stayed all day. Plus the freezing fog stayed as well.
Personally I thought it was perfect conditions; easy to walk on, easy to dig because the snow insulated the frozen ground, & got the best depth in a while. (walked off the field with cleaner boots that we started with)
I thought we were doing the Mega Grid but it's turning into the Mega Streak! A Sceat Streak at that! When will we come crashing down & what will it feel like? (Kinda hard to remember...)

5 hours;

1 Scrappy (Rare that we get more Sceats than Roman Coins!)
1797 Penny
Broken Roman Belt Stiffener
Broken 6th C Saxon Brooch
Spec Buckle with Replacement Pin
Barrel shaped Leather Mount (Medieval)
Mystery Roman piece
I got our Best circa 8th C Saxon Strap-end
1840 Sixpence
Charles II Hammered Halfgroat
3 Saxon Sceats Circa AD700 (All fell to my coil)

PS. One of Cru'dad's most popular saying whilst in the field ''Unbelievable''.:metaldetector::laughing7:

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 22
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do you figure you have more Roman, Saxon or Celtic coins?
Celtic Gold 27, Silver 32 and Bronze 71

Roman Gold 1, Silver 383 and Bronze 17098

Saxon/Viking Gold 0, Silver 61 and Bronze 3

Last edited:

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unbelievable! :laughing7:
Whats going on in that field? How did that many Sceats found their way in? Do you find out any kind of pattern with the Sceats?
The Strap and is killer! :love10: Just wow, but the Saxon Fibula is great too.

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seriously? Why do I even bother. You make it seem so easy! Especially like the sceats and strap end. Great finds.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unbelievable! :laughing7:
Whats going on in that field? How did that many Sceats found their way in? Do you find out any kind of pattern with the Sceats?
The Strap and is killer! :love10: Just wow, but the Saxon Fibula is great too.
No pattern, they are spread over such a large area, I'm now assuming it was a small village. The nearby Shot-gun Alley Site has a date range of 480-600, & I think they moved here with another small group from the Track-way Site, that dates from 6th C -9th C. When we finish this area we still have at least 10 days on the Track-way! Who know how much the plough has helped there as well!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surprised to wake up to the first Winter snow, only about 2 inches but with conditions only just making zero, it stayed all day. Plus the freezing fog stayed as well.
Personally I thought it was perfect conditions; easy to walk on, easy to dig because the snow insulated the frozen ground, & got the best depth in a while. (walked off the field with cleaner boots that we started with)
I thought we were doing the Mega Grid but it's turning into the Mega Streak! A Sceat Streak at that! When will we come crashing down & what will it feel like? (Kinda hard to remember...)

5 hours;

1797 Penny
Mystery Roman piece
1840 Sixpence

PS. One of Cru'dad's most popular saying whilst in the field ''Unbelievable''.:metaldetector::laughing7:

View attachment 2059448 View attachment 2059449 View attachment 2059450 View attachment 2059451 View attachment 2059452 View attachment 2059453 View attachment 2059454
Outstanding!!! Congrats!!! Tearing it Up!!!

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

5 hours;

1797 Penny
Mystery Roman piece
1840 Sixpence

View attachment 2059448 View attachment 2059449 View attachment 2059450 View attachment 2059451 View attachment 2059452 View attachment 2059453 View attachment 2059454
Unbelievable! I think you need to call your hill "sceat hill". Congratulations! And give Cru'dad a break... let him find something. :)

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unbelievable! I think you need to call your hill "sceat hill". Congratulations! And give Cru'dad a break... let him find something. :)
Crossed my mind, but once an area or field gets its name it keeps it for historic reference. Its hard enough to keep track of all the sites let alone trying to remember changes as well.
Cru'dad must be saving up for the big one.:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread